Yulong A28
Mar 24, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #226 of 252
  I got the Alpha Primes today, used year-old, listened to them for 5-6 hours - in short, WOW! I posted (maybe not so) brief impression summary on the impression thread, please check it out if interested (I rather save my typing for later :). And I'll be glad to answer any questions/inquiries.

A28 drives them just fine, and I'd say with relative ease thru the high-nonbalanced - at 12 the sound is really loud, at 3 becomes unbearable. With 0 pre-amp gain. Don't have XLR cable yet, will have it in few days and report back on that, but expect the balanced connector to put even moire juice out. not to mention upping audio quality. Apparently they are much more efficient than the Dogs, because of the redesigned drivers, so that I guess that explains it why A28 seems to have no problems with them.

Thanks for that, would be interested in the differences between unbalanced and balanced drive.

At the moment it is a toss between the Primes and Ether-C, for me. Unlike Audeze, these go on sale every  now and then.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #227 of 252

Thanks for that, would be interested in the differences between unbalanced and balanced drive.

At the moment it is a toss between the Primes and Ether-C, for me. Unlike Audeze, these go on sale every  now and then.

I haven't seen the Ether-C's on sale yet, would you mind sharing which dealer/website had them on sale?

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #228 of 252
I thought that you can buy the Ethers online only at MrSpeakers website. A new pair that is, or secondhand here or on eBay but it seems not too many people are parting with them, or at least I have rarely seen someone selling theirs, they must indeed be really good. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #229 of 252

I haven't seen the Ether-C's on sale yet, would you mind sharing which dealer/website had them on sale?

Razordog has a $100 rebate on them, waiting for the main holiday sale events namely Memorial Day, 4th July and Black Friday to see what comes up.

I got my LCD3 when Headroom took 20% off.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #230 of 252
  I thought that you can buy the Ethers online only at MrSpeakers website. A new pair that is, or secondhand here or on eBay but it seems not too many people are parting with them, or at least I have rarely seen someone selling theirs, they must indeed be really good. 

The Ether-C is still pretty new as a product  (<12months), I am on the fence between it and the Alpha Prime, have not heard too many complaints about problems with build quality and reliability.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #231 of 252
Was having the same dilemma a few months ago with the Alphas and Ether-C. I've since decided on the Ethers but without bringing up a new concern: Open or Closed?

As for deals, I honestly don't mind waiting for a good sale which should at least help postpone this hobby from its rampage on my wallet. And I still haven't gotten to modding the A28 so new headphones can definitely wait!

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #232 of 252
I'm with you. Made me a balanced cable for the Primes, 2 actually and been listening to them for the past couple of days. I'll write up more detailed notes when time allows, for now let me just mention that I'm more and more impressed with the headphones, I think Primes are incredible value for those looking for neutrality, balance and fine details. With that said, I will jump on Ether-C at first opportunity if budget allows me, won't even consider anything else under 2K, not LCD-X, not even LCD-3.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #233 of 252
You're making me rethink my decision on the Primes! It doesn't help that there's only two available from the MrSpeakers' website. What to do...
blink.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #234 of 252
  Was having the same dilemma a few months ago with the Alphas and Ether-C. I've since decided on the Ethers but without bringing up a new concern: Open or Closed?

As for deals, I honestly don't mind waiting for a good sale which should at least help postpone this hobby from its rampage on my wallet. And I still haven't gotten to modding the A28 so new headphones can definitely wait!

I want the Ether-C for use in the office, low key and understated and most importantly good isolation, passed on the Massdrop TH-X00 because of that.
The purpleheart TH-X00 was gorgeous.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #235 of 252

I want the Ether-C for use in the office, low key and understated and most importantly good isolation, passed on the Massdrop TH-X00 because of that.
The purpleheart TH-X00 was gorgeous.

Personally liked the red of the Alpha Primes and might postpone getting the Ether-C's a bit longer just in case Mr.Speakers does a flashier color scheme for the Ether-C (which is unlikely but I'll keep on dreaming
L3000.gif
).

I almost joined in the THX00 Purpleheart drop just for the deliciously vivid finish on the wood, but then resisted temptation thanks to state tax. For some reason another 30 tacked on made it a deal breaker for me haha... thanks to that, I can now roll the funds I didn't spend into the Ether-C... eventually!

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #236 of 252
Prime don't get the recognition they deserve. I got TH0XX coming in May and they are going straight on the block for sale, won't even open the outer box - I realize they are exceptional in many ways especially for the price, but I rather get another Prime for they are on another level altogether. Ether I'm sure is a step above Prime, at that level though it must be a small step, likely very small one. No way 'twice the price' better, just can't be. I think people are influenced by looks, that is if you wrap Prime's sound in Audeze wrapper everyone will be raving. And that's where Ether stepped in, imho.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #237 of 252
Btw, I love A28, just great! Born with great genes, 994enh and new power regs made it even more resolving. Which in turn makes the Prime shine, for without top tier amp they won't, and imho is how they ended up being underrated.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #238 of 252
Speaking of underrated, there's the LFF Enigma that also had its roots from the t50rp modding scene. Seems like this also has a different driver all together and sports wood chambers. Whichever of these pop up in the second hand market first will be my next pick... though i am slightly more interested in the enigma.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #239 of 252
This will be a long rant that comes a bit late given that Alpha Prime is (just about) extinct, but then I happen to discover them late and think the cans deserve (more, even if late) recognition. And is just my ears' opinion.

Before I start ranting, let me say the Prime need imho the best possible source/signal one can feed them so the'lly expose ability. One may argue that's the case for most cans, I think not. So I took all the steps I can think of to clear/improve the signal in my setup as much as possible. All added together, these steps are rather expensive (may rival the cost of whole setup)  but I supplemented with diy, ingenuity and patience to reign tough on cost. And succeeded to  a great degree.

My setup as I write this (if you're interested I'll provide all details & sources) consists of end-to-end: excellent power conditioner/filter (pro audio unit), superior (7 awg, flat wire, top name) power cables and connectors (can't believe the price on these suckers
eek.gif
) for both the DAC and the amp, top USB cables (needed 2 and combined one with pure silver and with 7 Ns OCC coper), active USB ground-noise filter and re-clocker, top XLR cables between DAC and amp, with ferritte cores spruced across all cabling. And should mentioned if I haven't as DACs are important, mine is Matrix X-Sabre; as good as anything under 2K imho.

So as I mentioned, got around to make me a pair of headphone cables, one with 28 awg double-wired per channel pure silver (99.9999, found it ridiculously cheap, all supply's gone though), the other cable using the best OCC copper IC cable available consisting of 2 pairs of solid and 2 of stranded 22 awg wires. Burnt in the cables for about 20 hours, then gave the Primes some good listen for about two days, balanced output only (already listened to them thru the unbalanced output for 3-4 days, though using the standard oem cable only, which in all fairness is lame).

Balanced Vs unbalanced in regards to the Prime - the difference in both power and sound is significant, in that it can be clearly and immediately recognized. The power from A28's balanced is way more than my ears can handle, and of course much more than the juice flowing from the standard. As I write this, I listen to Miles' Live-Evil in 24bit-96Khz resolution (HD Tracks), volume positioned at at 9 o'clock even, about as loud as I would listen to under normal circumstances. Volume at 10 o'clock nears my 'everyday' threshold; at this point for me to go thru an entire album would be only possible if I am closing the day with a drink (or few) in my hand
tongue_smile.gif
Volume above 10 becomes intolerable to my ears for more than a song or two. And depending on genre/recording level not even that long. Which makes me think that if the amp in its current configuration (meaning transformer & power regs) can drive the Primes with such authority, and I mean hard-handed authority, why it wouldn't be able to drive more power-hungry cans even if the volume goes all the way to say 3-5 o'clock and max? I don't consider cans like HE6, but just wonder how will it drive them, just curious given our discussion on the previous pages.

Sound-wise, from the balanced output the Primes are expanded across the board. Sound-stage, clarity and detail, bass as a whole, every aspect. I'd say, yes there is a notable improvement going from unbalanced to balanced, even though A28's unbalanced signal is great to begin with, not like most balanced amp where the unbalanced is just an afterthought. The most striking thing for me is their neutrality - Prime will be flat out boring with flat recording, and will blow your expectations, imagination, mind, when given quality production in quality wrapping. To me that defines neutrality, the ability to sound truly outstanding when given the opportunity, it is what for me sets Prime apart from most anything else under $1500. Few cans can play true to source yet turn in stunning performance when called upon. Source may not be exciting and when that is the case Prime won't make it exciting for you. If the expectation is otherwise, skip them and get 'colored' headphones, TH-0XX point in case, awesome! I found for myself ( credit goes to Prime, helped me here big deal) that I rather have 'kings' of neutral and apply EQ when needed. I think is worth mentioning here that I have notable experience with Senn headphones which are often regarded as neutral - well, to me they are detailed and some of them extremely so. but they cannot go across the spectrum of sound the way Primes do. And that's neutral to me, the ability to reproduce the sound as intended, whether it calls for deep, shaking, bass growl, well define mids or clear and natural highs. 

To sum it, the improvement in the signal path I implemented (noted above), supplemented by playing high-res/HD audio (at lest 24-96K and more like 192K and DSD, which on its own can make as much difference as all else together) allowed me to get a very good feel of what the Primes are capable of when given a chance, and form a conclusive (for myself as least) opinion - for those of us that value uncolored, balanced sound across the spectrum with rich details, the Primes are indeed exceptionally good headphones. I am repeating myself with different words, regardless if one wants to hear his/her favorite music for what it actually is, I think the only sub-2K headphones that are better than the Primes may likely be LCD-3 and Ether. That's how much I'm impressed with 'em!

And oh yes, real good amp is needed too, it is where A28 stepped in and marvelously so....i'd say....

...I am continuing after some listening break....hmmm, the Primes are not everyone's cup - agian, very detailed and neutral, unlike any other headphones I've heard, and it seems many music fans don't really like that. I'll try to poke my finger into it - the so called 'exciting' headphones tend to have exagerated sub-bass, that 'makes' the music more 'full' and 'engaging', among other descriptions. And I would agree, and admit that in a way it does. It is also my observation that most people fall in that category, hmmm....then I must fall in a 'purist' type of bracket, so who cares what my opinion is, right? ....

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #240 of 252
....since I'm on a roll, and don't give a ... thing what others think anyway, I'll keep writing my observations (tomorrow's Fri anyway :), so I'll allow myself to rant some more.... 
beerchug.gif

...where were I....yes, my ode to the Prime - to me they simply reflect the recording, technically the signal, exactly as it is being fed to them. And if so, lower quality recordings in terms of either production or resolution, or both, will sound just as they are - low quality. Recordings with higher, especially truly high quality though are reproduced marvelously, just marvelously. Lows are not exaggerated when they are underwhelming top begin with, but when they present, and detailed with true quality to them, the Primes rumble with precision and authority, and on some recordings the lows get to a point where it is just too much for me. Note that I 'kernel bitstream' all my music, from JRiver (prefer it to Foobar) directly to the DAC using DOP protocol (DSD over PCM), so there is no Windows involvement, no equalization whatsoever of any kind. And even then, when sub and low bass is present and punctual, the Prime reproduce it with such power it starts to hurt my ears at higher volume. And I love bass, though don't consider myself bass-head, good solid defined bass makes my day. For example, on Mogwai's 'Heard About You Last night' there is so much bass produced by the Prime (listening again to 24-96khz HDTracks), that I find it a bit too much, to a point I need to lower the volume else I have to change album. Yes, lows are produced in depth, when present though and accurately...key word, accurately... 

....I should have posted this on the Alpha Prime's impression thred, but lets finish it...plus who cares, there are 2 pairs left in stock and will be all history.......may not have the widest stage but they trail only a couple of closed cans out there, and not by much. Yes, exactly what outstanding headphones are supposed to be. For me, other's mileage may and will vary. I rather listen to, and know that I am listening to, the recording as it was intended. Then, I have the option to apply EQ if I feel it will improve my listening experience. 

....In my book, great cans, well worth their cost.....and let not forget - comfortable and not fatiguing, even if on the heavy side....Did I mention grossly underrated?....Oh who cares, they're gone for good...not even year and a half after introduction 

OK, that I recon is enough praise for a pair of headphones that 99.99999999999% of the population don't have a clue existed, right? So I won't open my mouth about the Prime again unless explicitly asked, I promise...

What's next, Ether? I'm very eager to try 'em, yes, given my Prime experience and everything I read about the Dog lineage, it is the headphones I want to hear most. I expect Ether (C) to be a notch above Alpha Prime. And lets stress on 'expect' as it is hard for me to comprehend how that can be, the Primes are that good .... but then I had no clue about the Primes either, plus Dan Clark has proven he knows his craft. Hmm, yes, I think he does. I am a believer now
tongue.gif
 and the Ethers are calling my name... 

One last thing and I'm off horizontal, in regards to the signal line improvements I talked above. I realize lots of people think 'today it is all digital, and digital is digital regardless of medium so spending good money on cabling is foolish'. And that thinking has nothing to do with reality, nothing, there's plenty of broken-down explanations on the web if one wants to find the facts. Not to mention that the audio signal, even bit-streaming to DAC is not pure digital, say if compared to file copying bit-streaming does not (and really cannot) use the protocol which ensures uniformity.

Anyhow, for sanity check I did the 'unplug test', pulled all improvements out, everything, then did 'all-in' and 'all-out' evaluations. Also added everything one by one, taking time to look for what changed in sound after each component was added. In short - when evaluating the contribution of each link individually, I noted that some links have observable contribution to bettering the sound and some not so much. And that was expected, I expected it. But going from 'all-out' to 'all-in', and vise-versa - wow! Across the board! To my ears it rivals the opamps' and regs' upgrade in A28, definitely worth putting my time into it and spending the money.

....maybe I'll gather enough courage to implement some of b0bb's other A28 upgrades (or some at least) ... in the meantime I'm intrigued by the '10uf capacitor' idea as presented on one of the opamps threads in regards to the Bursons -  if any of you finds time to check it out, please and let me know what you think:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/5055

Users who are viewing this thread

Back