Yulong A28
Feb 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #76 of 252
The upcoming V281 will be the ultimate amp.
This is what we've been waiting years for!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced

Yeah, but at a hefty price
blink.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #79 of 252
Share with us how they differ :xf_eek:

To me, the v200 is more suited to the hd800. The sound is warmer, and female vocals have a sweeter less clinical sound.
The bass quality on the v200 also appears to be improved. I perceive more impact with the v200.
The sound stage is smaller on the v200 than the a28 though.
The a28 has two different sounds depending if you use the SE or Balanced. The balanced is more neutral and the SE is warmer, though that warmness is not the same warmness on the v200. Rather, it's an artificial warmness that seems to be created by slightly rolled off highs.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #80 of 252
I like Yulong product!
I have the D100 I was wondering will the A28 be a good match I want balance.
I'm also looking at AMI MUSIK DS5 USB DSD DAC has anyone tried it or own it?

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #81 of 252
I might prefer V200 over A28 overall, but they have their strengths and weaknesses. And you have to consider the price discrepancy as well. A28 is more open sounding when used in balanced mode, so I can imagine how someone might actually prefer A28 if that's what they're after.

Quote:
  I like Yulong product!
I have the D100 I was wondering will the A28 be a good match I want balance.
I'm also looking at AMI MUSIK DS5 USB DSD DAC has anyone tried it or own it?

D100 mkI works well enough. Maybe a little on the lightweight side as far as tonal balance, but still pretty enjoyable. 

I reviewed the DDH-1 which came out before the AMI DS5. I liked it a lot, but without balanced outputs I don't think their equipment is an ideal match with A28. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #82 of 252
I currently have a A18,would a A28 be an upgrade assuming I will be using it in a balanced set up?Can't get my head around the fact that the A18 is still $200 more,so would it still be considered there flagship amp?

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #83 of 252
I currently have a A18,would a A28 be an upgrade assuming I will be using it in a balanced set up?Can't get my head around the fact that the A18 is still $200 more,so would it still be considered there flagship amp?

A18 is still the flagship. Better power supply, fully discrete, a more advanced design overall. A28 does have the advantage of being fully balanced from end to end, and has more power if that makes a different with your particular headphone. 

Based on my listening so far, I'd say A18 is still the better amp, but A28 has some moments where it is preferable. Specifically due to its more neutral sound. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #84 of 252

A18 is still the flagship. Better power supply, fully discrete, a more advanced design overall. A28 does have the advantage of being fully balanced from end to end, and has more power if that makes a different with your particular headphone. 

Based on my listening so far, I'd say A18 is still the better amp, but A28 has some moments where it is preferable. Specifically due to its more neutral sound. 

Although I sold my A18 to a friend and do not have it here for direct comparison, I find the A28 suits my Audeze headphones better.  Just my take on things.  It may not be the "better' of the two amps as project86 detailed above (and I agree with) but synergy makes up for things in my case.  The added power, more neutral presentation and balanced output really works with my LCD3's for me.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #85 of 252

Yulong said in an email that the A28 replaces the A18 and they will stop producing A18's soon.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #87 of 252
Yulong said in an email that the A28 replaces the A18 and they will stop producing A18's soon.

If I didn't have the D8 on order I would get an A18 again.  At times I regret selling mine.  Not because I am unhappy with the A28 (I prefer it overall for my headphones) but because it has such a sweet sound to it.  I am regularly tempted to get an HD800, just to have around, and I think it would pair well with the A18.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #88 of 252
It does pair well with the HD800
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back