Yulong A28
Jan 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 252
  A28 in the house, currently paired with a Yulong DA8 DAC and P18 for power. I haven't had a ton of time to spend with it yet, but based on initial reactions it pairs very well with the HE-6. It doesn't keep up with the AURALiC Taurus but maybe approaches the Violectric V200 in approximate quality with HE-6 - and keep in mind, V200 was my favorite HE-6 amp until the Taurus came along. I'll have to compare the A28, V200, and Questyle CMA800R to see which one deserves second place for HE-6.... considering the price difference, it's good company to be in. 

So far I've only used balanced mode. Tried the LCD-2 and it sounded great, also an HD800 and Alpha Dogs too. I'd say this is in fact a more neutral amp than the A18, though I still don't find it thin or reedy. But definitely closer to an upgraded A100 than a downgraded A18 if that makes any sense. Fit and finish is typical Yulong (very nice). 

This has tough competition in the price range. You've got Lake People G109, Firestone Bobby, and NuForce HAP-100 all priced within about $100 of each other. So far those other three all have their own specialties and none is my top choice over the rest. We'll see how Yulong does. 

Thanks for the update.  If it sounds great with the LCD 2 it should do well with my LCD3.  I am getting excited to hear mine when I get home.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #18 of 252
Mine should be here tomorrow. I'll be pairing it with a MHDT Labs Havana Balanced DAC, some nice cables, and a balanced Audez'e LCD-2 and HE-500. I'll have a full review in about three weeks or so.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 252
I got a chance to briefly try the single ended output. Man, it's a tight plug - smoother at first than the already snug DA8 headphone jack, but that final "click" of insertion is really something. My DA8 loosened up after a while so I figure this is no big deal. 

I used the low impedance output and ran the HE-6. I currently have a Toxic Cables Hybrid balanced cable on there but I used an adapter to match it up. Volume had to be cranked farther but it still seemed reasonably sufficient. The result was what I'd call decent but not amazing. There just wasn't the same level of competence I've come to expect from the HE-6 after hearing it with powerful amps. It would do in a pinch but the HE-500 seems like a much better option for single ended use. 

I tried the Alpha Dogs and Thunderpants single ended and they were both far more satisfying. Now this I could live with. Not as good as running the Alphas balanced but definitely acceptable/enjoyable (the Thunderpants are terminated SE so I don't know how they scale).

My next goal is to ask Yulong about output impedance, and also to try an IEM. Those have never been a strong point for Yulong amps, due to class-A hiss or just too much gain. So we'll see. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 252
My A28 came in today!  Woop! Woop!

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #22 of 252

Ahhhrghh.   I won't  be home for 8 to 10 days to hear mine.  Thanks for the picture.  That will be my exact stack once I add the a28.  Please share any first impressions when you get the chance.  Do you have a balanced cable?  I will be using the balanced 4 pin out, curious about that output.

How warm does it get after running a while?  I was thinking of putting the A28 between the DA8 and P18 so the headphone cord does not drape in front of the DA8.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 252

Ahhhrghh.   I won't  be home for 8 to 10 days to hear mine.  Thanks for the picture.  That will be my exact stack once I add the a28.  Please share any first impressions when you get the chance.  Do you have a balanced cable?  I will be using the balanced 4 pin out, curious about that output.

How warm does it get after running a while?  I was thinking of putting the A28 between the DA8 and P18 so the headphone cord does not drape in front of the DA8.

I've just got it warming up now.  It's been running for about an hour, and its only slightly warm.  Not too much more than the DA8 actually.  I'll see what its like after its been on for a few hours.
I had ordered a balanced cable but its not here yet, so I am stuck with the single ended output.  And that jack is TIGHT!  You have to hold the machine down when removing the headphone plug otherwise you'll pull the whole amp with you!
Initial impressions, it sounds quite similar to the DA8's 1/4" output but more dynamic.  It sounds quite neutral compared to the A18 and V200, both of which sound audibly more warm and laid back compared to the A28.  Vocals sound more forward on the A28 as well.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 252
  I've just got it warming up now.  It's been running for about an hour, and its only slightly warm.  Not too much more than the DA8 actually.  I'll see what its like after its been on for a few hours.
I had ordered a balanced cable but its not here yet, so I am stuck with the single ended output.  And that jack is TIGHT!  You have to hold the machine down when removing the headphone plug otherwise you'll pull the whole amp with you!
Initial impressions, it sounds quite similar to the DA8's output but more dynamic.  It sounds quite neutral compared to the A18 and V200, both of which sound audibly more warm and laid back compared to the A28.

OK.  Keep us posted.  Thanks

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #26 of 252

Nice setup  Viper. I see you are feeding the DA8 through the SB Touch coax output. Did you compare the coax to the USB ? I also have a SB Touch + DA8 but I never tried the coaxial output (I'm not even sure I have a coaxial cable !?!?).

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 252

Nice setup  Viper. I see you are feeding the DA8 through the SB Touch coax output. Did you compare the coax to the USB ? I also have a SB Touch + DA8 but I never tried the coaxial output (I'm not even sure I have a coaxial cable !?!?).

I've not tried the USB from the SB Touch actually.  The USB in my DA8 is connected to my mac which runs jriver media center for my SACD files  :wink:

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 252
Initial impressions, it sounds quite similar to the DA8's 1/4" output but more dynamic.  It sounds quite neutral compared to the A18 and V200, both of which sound audibly more warm and laid back compared to the A28.  Vocals sound more forward on the A28 as well.

Are these observations true for both the HD800 and the LCD-2? I currently have the LCD-2 and the DA8. I love the sound I have now, but am wondering how much more a dedicated amp can elevate the sound over the internal amp on the DA8. I have been waiting for this amp to get released for the obvious match to my DA8 but also to get balanced. From a price standpoint, the A28 seems to be a likely threat to the Mjolnir, which many seem to think is the end game amp for LCD-2 (which I have also not heard). I am a little more sensitive to brightness/sibilance, which sometimes I find on certain recordings with the LCD-2/DA8 combo, so maybe I might be more of a V200 guy (which I have also not heard). It will be interesting to hear more of what people have to say about the A28 when they spend some more time with it. Especially how it betters the sounds over the internal amp in the DA8 (more power, balanced, etc.)

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #29 of 252
  Are these observations true for both the HD800 and the LCD-2? I currently have the LCD-2 and the DA8. I love the sound I have now, but am wondering how much more a dedicated amp can elevate the sound over the internal amp on the DA8. I have been waiting for this amp to get released for the obvious match to my DA8 but also to get balanced. From a price standpoint, the A28 seems to be a likely threat to the Mjolnir, which many seem to think is the end game amp for LCD-2 (which I have also not heard). I am a little more sensitive to brightness/sibilance, which sometimes I find on certain recordings with the LCD-2/DA8 combo, so maybe I might be more of a V200 guy (which I have also not heard). It will be interesting to hear more of what people have to say about the A28 when they spend some more time with it. Especially how it betters the sounds over the internal amp in the DA8 (more power, balanced, etc.)

The A28 sound is quite similar to the DA8.  It is not any more harsh nor sibilant.  It's more dynamic, a bit more oomph to the sound.  
I just tried the LCD2's with the A28.  Sounds good as well, a bit more forward than with the V200, but also less bassy.  

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #30 of 252

It's been running for 2 hours now, and it's only slightly warm to the touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back