Yuin PK3 or PK2
Dec 3, 2007 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EnderX

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide which earbud I want to buy. I listen mostly to more rock oriented music but my tastes do include dance styled pop rock. I own some Sennheiser PX100s which I really enjoy the sound of but I'm looking for something in the earcanal/earbud genre. I've heard the PK2s have a greater soundstage but don't offer the bass response of the PK3s. Taking into account my preference for the PX100s which would you say would be a better choice.

P.S. I've also owned V-Moda Vibes which I didn't feel packed enough umph
and will be getting some Grado SR60s for Christmas.

Please suggest. I'm also purchasing a small headphone amp so also consider that.

P.S.S I know with an amp I should go for the Yuin PK1s but I'm poor.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi, Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Whilst I haven't listened to the PK2s, I am currently using PK3s, and they are quite good. They have some great bass and sound great for an unamped bud. I am currently listening to rock, and I also listen to dance with these buds, and I love them.

In terms of IEM, I am a big fan of the UM1s and Super Fi 3s. SF3s are much more bassier and in your face, where as the UM1s are a bit more balanced and relaxed, not forgetting to mention the UM1s are much more comfortable.

We have the same tastes in music, so yeah. Unfortunetly, the PK3s offer little isolation, so if you are after isolation best would go for an IEM (canalphone - in ear monitor).

Alternatively, the Creative EP630s are also a great bud styled in-earphone, they are quite nice compact, and pack a good punch, and its good on the wallet!

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the welcome. I actually recently ordered those creative phones but to me they seem to have almost too much bass, it recesses the highs. Mids sound great though. I actually prefer the sound of a much cheaper in-ear type phone the JVC marshmallow although it really has no presence in the high end and causes quite a bit of harshness especially at higher volumes.

Isolation would be a plus but if the yuins offer better sound quality overall, in low mid and high; I would take 'em.

I suppose I'm also talking in the sub $100 range and if anyone has a nice used phone that has what I'm looking for I'll gladly consider it.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 13
The pk2's are actually pretty nicely balanced. Not to much bass, but the bass that it has is clean, and after breaking them in still packs a decent punch.

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a pair of PK2s and I think they improved with burn-in. I love my PK2s and I think the bass is nice but not overpowering. Basically, for such a tiny package it is there and you can feel it but it is not out of control. And although they sound fine unamped they will of course sound even better amped.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack, but I'm guessing either will be a major step up from the MX500's?

Do they leak a lot of sound?

I read in another thread that the their sound leakage is minimal.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 13
I imagine that the sound leakage is no different from that of any other earbuds such as the ibuds or the sennheiser and sony's

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack, but I'm guessing either will be a major step up from the MX500's?

Do they leak a lot of sound?

i suppose they leak as much as any other earbud.
but to answer your concern, i wore them in the library and was told by the librarian to turn it down. also, i wore it to a football game, and i couldn't hear my music at all basically, cuz of all the outside noise

so i sold them (i bought 2s and 3s at the same time), and now looking for some cheap but decent canalphones. also just got some IM716 from the buy.con sale....but i cant use those with my shuffle....which is why i need a canalphone now

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 13
I use my PK2s in the library all the time and don't get any complaints. As long as you aren't listening at ear damaging levels sound leakage shouldn't be a problem. There is no isolation whatsoever though.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 13
In the library you shouldn't have to listen to them at levels that would leak that much sound. I've never had issues, either; my listening volume is roughly 60db in a quiet environment, which should be sufficient unless you have some hearing loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back