Yuin PK2 vs. PK3
Feb 23, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen the PK2 and PK3 compared before. I just got a pair of PK3's to back up my PK2's and thought I'd give my thoughts. Doing an A/B comparison between the two, they are very similar. In fact, if you don't listen too closely, on some tracks they are difficult to distinguish. There is a difference, though. The PK2's have a little bit better warmth and clarity in the mids. On one Coldplay song there was a rim shot that sounded a bit harsh on the PK3 and much better on the PK2. I think the highs are just a bit clearer on the PK2's also.

One interesting thing is that I thought people had said the PK3 has more bass. I don't think it does. The bass level sounded the same on both to me.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Cool. Now let them "burn in" for a while and post again
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
lol there's no such thing as "burn-in." It's a myth propogated by the placebo effect. How many of you have actually A/Bed the same pair of headphones with one with "burn-in?" I have countless time and they always sound exactly the same.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize this thread was posted back on Feb. 2009, not 2010 lol.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 5
I think the smileys were because the guy knew I am not a burn-in "believer."

I think it is more than placebo effect, though. Headphones can sound a lot different over time -- it's just that the differences are produced by the brain, not the physical properties of the speakers.

Edit -- it is possible that I have mentioned this before, but have you ever been to a concert where the mix just didn't sound quite right for the first couple of songs and then started to sound better? I had assumed that the sound man was making adjustments, but after learning more about the burn-in effect, I think it might just be that you adjust to the sound signature to a point that it starts to sound "right."

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the smileys were because the guy knew I am not a burn-in "believer."

I think it is more than placebo effect, though. Headphones can sound a lot different over time -- it's just that the differences are produced by the brain, not the physical properties of the speakers.

Edit -- it is possible that I have mentioned this before, but have you ever been to a concert where the mix just didn't sound quite right for the first couple of songs and then started to sound better? I had assumed that the sound man was making adjustments, but after learning more about the burn-in effect, I think it might just be that you adjust to the sound signature to a point that it starts to sound "right."

No, I was not aware of your stance on burn-in. I was reading a bunch of PK2 and PK3 threads and responded to this thread because I thought it was posted recently in 2010.

It IS 100% placebo effect. I understand the logic behind burn-in, but it simply isn't the case if you've actually tested old and new pairs of the same headphones. Just last month, I bought a pair of Ultrasones just for ****s and giggles (because the store's return policy is lax) so I can compare with with my 3 year old Ultrasone. Audiophile friends claimed to hear the difference, but after I blindfolded them, they could no longer hear the difference lmao.

"Headphones can sound a lot different over time -- it's just that the differences are produced by the brain, not the physical properties of the speakers."

You're contradicting yourself. If the differences are produced by the mind, then the headphone itself isn't sounding different. You just think it sounds different. You anticipate XYZ to sound different, so your brain processes the sound in a biased manner. This is all scientifically documented, yet audiophiles claim they are above it all lol.

As for a concert sounding different, it's the sound engineers constantly fixing the sound. They're paid to monitor a concert to fix sound problems live as they arise.

Still don't believe me since I'm a "nobody?"

YouTube - Dave Rat - Headphone Burn-in Test
YouTube - Audio Myths Workshop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back