yuin pk2 vs iem
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Harry Tuttle

100+ Head-Fier
hi! I'm looking for an upgrade on my mx400's, isolation is not really an issue for me but I want an earbud or iem. If we're strictly talking about sound quality is there an iem in the same price range of the pk2's that sounds better? I listen mainly to rock music and I don't care much about bass so I first thought about buying sr-60's but I really can't bother wearing huge cans all the time, I tried px-100's once and even if they're very comfy the headband annoyed me so I can't imagine buying grados or alessandros... besides I thought the sound was not enough "upfront"? I felt I was listening to my stereo, I need something that's more punchy...

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 21
yes u're making right choice with pk2, as the matter of fact i'm using them with my cowon D2, they sound great unamped, pk2 mids is somehow like grados, not similar, low is actually good for an earbud not as deep as full headphone of course, high is somekind unnatural though, not bright and less high extension
they are comfortable though, i can wear them for hours, one thing i couldn't do with my MS1

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 21
I have had the pk2,s for several months and really like them. I previously used ety er6,s with a portable amp. I hands down prefer the pk2,s for both sound and comfort. They sound good without a amp too. I gave the ety,s to my brother. I also bought my wife a pair of pk2,s as a gift.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 21
thanks for the feedback! the comparison with the er6's is really useful, that's the iem I was thinking about (I always wanted er4's but they're way too expensive for me, besides I don't feel like paying more for headphones than the source!) but I was concerned with the build quality and microphonics as I read some negative feedback

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 21
two things to keep in mind with pk2's :

- the cable is way longer than what you are used to with mx400; not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

- give them time to burn in. most people who complain about them don't give them enough time to settle in. about hundred hours should do it.

p.s. o yah, don't be concerned with build quality - they might look like your average buds but are pretty solidly built.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 21
now that's a long cord! I thought the 34 inch of the mx400's was a little bit too short but I could've done with 40 lol
do all the yuin have i-shaped plugs? I find the l-shaped more convenient with a pcdp but it's a minor detail

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darn, you made me un-do the cable-wrap thingy so i could measure it; anywho :p , it's 57' from the plug to the buds, give or take an inch (hard to stretch it perfectly).

Thank You for taking the time to do this.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 21
no problem m8, takes just a minute
smily_headphones1.gif

the cord is the longest i've seen on a pair of buds... that might explain why some people complain of microphonics - the extra cord needs to be wrapped or tacked away if you take these for a walk. i use the cable-wrap that came with x3 and a couple of velcro (that's how you spell it?) strips for a good measure. i also managed to wear them with the cord behind the ears, iem-style. that takes care of any microphonics and keeps them in place.

and yep, i think they all have I-shaped plug; at least the two i have do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back