yuin pk2 (or pk3) VS modded sony mdr-e888's?
Sep 18, 2007 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

timcwoo

Head-Fier
I havent been on this baord for a long time. I recently came across a large amount of money
biggrin.gif
and I was looking for a new pair of earbuds. I used to have the sony mdr-e888lp's but they met a tragic end when my friend dropped them on the ground and I ran over them with my car. I was devestated. Having little money then I couldnt justify buying a new pair of expensive earbuds when I had ksc75's.

So I did some searching through the forums and I found out that new earbuds have come out: the yuin pk1 2 and 3!! the pk1 seems too expensive for me. but I was wondering how the yuin PK2 compares to the modded (you know, where you take the paper filter out) e888s in terms of bass, mids and highs? or overall sound? what about the PK3s? I did some searches for comparisons but it seems that people have forgotten all about the e888's. I liked the sound and the bass of the e888s and ksc75s. If I buy the yuin eabuds, what can I expect?

... or should I just get another pair of e888s? but I hate that J cord so much...

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 29
the pk3's also have a j cord which you said you hate so scrap that. I say forget about the sony's. Get the pk2. you'll expect awesome lush mids, and great highs, with a modes amount of bass. I doubt you can get that much more from any other earbud including the e888.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 29
You can expect to look to something else afterwards...

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 29
lol yeah.. since Ive had all these "cheapo" headphones like ksc 75's, sporta pros, creative ep630s, px100s, e888's, etc. I was actualy strongly cosnidering getting a more expensive headphone for once, maybe like the yuin pk1 after reading all he reviews on it just now (i dont think im ready for higher end non-in-ear headphones yet).. but then I would have to buy/make an amp. Ill get the amp first and then think about going higher end next.

anyone else have any opinions on the sound between the two (pk2's and modded e888's)?

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 29
wow. forgot how popular these forums are, hard to get your questions answered once it has left the front page...

anyone else have any opinions? I havent really gotten a strong comparison (actually none..)

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. forgot how popular these forums are, hard to get your questions answered once it has left the front page...

anyone else have any opinions? I havent really gotten a strong comparison (actually none..)

I have Senn HD 595's, er4s and PK1s along with a Headroom Cosmic and a Xin Super Mini. Honestly I listen to the PK1s the most. They are amazing. I know that doesn't help you with the PK2s but I'd have to guess you'd like them if they sound at all like the PK1s especially with no amp.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 29
oh no.. in attempt to get caught up in everything I missed in the last year that I have not been on these boards, I convinced myself to buy a supermicro amp and the yuin PK1's (Im looking for an ultra portable setup). When the supermicro came out I wanted it, but not many people had it so I was unsure of its worth, but now searching through the forums there are all these reviews on how good it sounds!! i hate this board so much!!

thats a lot of money!! please.. will someone try to talk me out of it?? anyone? im being serious!

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 29
I own the 888 and I am basically also interested in the pk2 too.

I hope they sound better than the 888, as these have clean highs, but sound relative upfront/flat. A bit of bass is there on the 888 but absolutly flat sounding.
I miss the dimension of sound (3D effect) which the Sony e484, e747 and e743 basically had.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 29
'Unfortunately' I can only offer a E888 mod vs PK1 comparison. I keep my E888 mods for unamped situations where I do not want to carry the whole rig. Comparing the E888s and PK1's through my mSeed gives two distinct presentations. I always enjoyed the E888s as I prefer an earbud to IEMs in quiet listening environments while traveling and the mod opened them up without losing the liquid midrange. I still enjoy them and even select them over the PK1s for poorly recorded material. They represented what I thought was possible from an earbud, the PK1s have now raised that expectation. The Pk1s amped present a neutral, transparent and open sound, real hifi in a tiny, 'cheap looking' earphone. Magic. Revealing enough to expose poor recordings or insufficient bitrate in compressed material.

I can only suggest that you would not be disappointed with a PK2 and ultra-portable would surely not mean an amp!? If you go with an amp I would still argue the PK2 case as this helps on the budget considerations and there will be times when you might leave the amp at home. Just IMOH
smily_headphones1.gif
. The upgrade path is then left open for a future PK1 addition or whatever Yuin come up with next....

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 29
i have the e888lp that i got from audiocubes. I think they only sell the ones that say 'made in china'. Anyways, I also have the pk1s so here are some comparisons.

- pk1s are more detailed, spacious. Because of this, you could hear the wrath of badly encoded audio files. e888 covers it up. Meaning if a song hurts your ears with the pk1 because of harsh highs or bad encoding, it will not with the e888 majority of the time. Also, mids are bit more forward with the e888s.
- pk1 bass is deeper and is more thumpy and boomy. the e888 is rather boomy, which may seem louder, but is not as clean as the pk1's bass.

pk1 is the victor IMO because of how clean sounding it is. e888 is still a good fun, buttery sounding bud.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 29
I have both the PK1's and PK2's. If you can afford it, I say go with the PK1's. To my ears, there is a significant difference between the two - particularly in the bass and lower mid-range. Even without an amp, I still prefer the PK1, but have to admit that the difference is less apparent.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the PK1's and PK2's. If you can afford it, I say go with the PK1's. To my ears, there is a significant difference between the two - particularly in the bass and lower mid-range. Even without an amp, I still prefer the PK1, but have to admit that the difference is less apparent.

what amp did you use?

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol yeah.. since Ive had all these "cheapo" headphones like ksc 75's, sporta pros, creative ep630s, px100s, e888's, etc. I was actualy strongly cosnidering getting a more expensive headphone for once, maybe like the yuin pk1 after reading all he reviews on it just now (i dont think im ready for higher end non-in-ear headphones yet).. but then I would have to buy/make an amp. Ill get the amp first and then think about going higher end next.

anyone else have any opinions on the sound between the two (pk2's and modded e888's)?

never heard e888, loved pk2 though

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6seal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Senn HD 595's, er4s and PK1s along with a Headroom Cosmic and a Xin Super Mini. Honestly I listen to the PK1s the most. They are amazing. I know that doesn't help you with the PK2s but I'd have to guess you'd like them if they sound at all like the PK1s especially with no amp.

it does sound like pk1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back