Yuin PK2 Best sounding $80 portable solution?
Mar 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

maloosik

New Head-Fier
After looking at a large number of threads I have come to the conclusion that folks here might recommend these buds as a best sounding solution for the money, given the following criteria;

1. Sound Quality (including good bass for buds)
2. Portability
3. Soundstage

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 10
absolutely
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I would say yes, as long as you are not concerned about isolation.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as in only buds?

No not necessarily, I am not concerned about isolation, more about sound quality per $. If there are isolating IEC options, or even cans at this $ level, I'm open to them but I think there would be compromises to sound quality or portability (possibly durability too).

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 10
If you don't need isolation the Yuins are superb, but I can't really see an instance where I wouldn't want isolation in a portable 'phone.

It's the biggest reason my PK3s don't get used much and my ER6i spends the most time connected to my iPod, despite the cable microphonics. And yes, I do use the shirt clip, but the individual driver wires like to smack against my hair or (the worst) jacket zipper.

It'll be nice when it warms up and I'm not confined to a jacket all the time. D=

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 10
They are great. But I have been using them normally and all of a sudden the wire rubbed through the outer coating right at the plug. I am going to have someone reterminate them for me I just have to place the ad. Otherwise I love them and they sound great.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 10
They're probably the best if you a) want something earbud sized and b) want them to be open.

If you need isolation, you'll have to look at IEMs or sealed earbuds, and I don't think there are many of those that approach PK2 sound quality in the same price range.

If you're open to looking at non-earbuds, however, you have a lot more options. For earclips, there are the Koss KSC-75. I didn't like these as much as I like my PK2, but they are cheaper. For small open headphones there's the Sennheiser PX-100. I would put their sound on par with the PK2. For small closed headphones, there's the AKG K81DJ, which I would definitely put above the PK2 if their size is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back