Yuin PK1 vs ER4P/S ?
Mar 6, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm pretty crazy about both. It's hard to say which will be the better choice for you.

The PK1 is a standard earbud form factor. It is comfortable if earbuds are comfortable for you. You pop them in, and that's pretty much it.

The ER4 is an in-ear design that goes deep in the ear. Not everyone finds it comfortable. In addition a fair amount of experimentation can be needed to find the combination of eartips plus insertion technique that provides a good seal, which is necessary for good sound.

The PK1 offers virtually no isolation from outside noises. The ER4 provides very high isolation from outside sounds.

The ER4 suffers quite a bit from "microphonics," that is, the sound you hear in your ears when the cable is jostled, bumped or scraped against by your clothing etc. is quite noticeable. The PK1 has no more microphonics than any other earbud.

In my opinion both of them sound quite good unamped from, for example, an iPod. And both improve tremendously with good amplification and with improvments in the source. In other words both scale quite well with your equipment. However lots of people feel that if you're going unamped you should choose the PK2 or ER4P over the PK1 or the ER4S. Personally I don't like the sound of either the PK2 or the ER4P, and would take the unamped PK1 or ER4S over them, but tastes vary.

As you probably know, lots of people hedge their bets on the ER4 by starting with the ER4P (easier to drive, a little more bass) and planning to add the ER4P-to-ER4S converter later. That's not a bad strategy -- though I think most people who move to ER4S never go back to ER4P, so you can save some outlay by starting with ER4S in the first place. There is no equivalent PK2-to-PK1 upgrade strategy.

People seem to have a love-it-or-hate-it relationship with the ER4. I'm on the "love" side, but some people just can't stand it. I don't hear those kinds of responses to the PK1 - nearly everyone likes it, I think.

Of the two the PK1 is probably a little more of a sure thing - but which is best for you could go either way depending on what you're after.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Own both. I use PK1 indoor (office), use ER4P/S outdoor (both with minibox-E+), but need bassboost for the latter.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 7
I think Episiarch summed it up quite well; however, since I own both, I'll throw in my couple more pence.

- Of the two, IMHO, the ER4p provides awesome isolation and sounds the best without amplification. For this reason, it is definitely my preferred travel IEM. (I also have the Ety P/S conversion cable, but actually don't care for the sound...even with an amp...who knew...)

- The PK1s are easier insert/remove if you wear them in an office setting and need to talk with folks or get on the phone quickly. While they don't have the kind of isolation/high end refinement of the Ety's, they are VERY engaging to listen to for extended periods. I've had them about a month and they continue to put a grin on my face.

For reference, I use a Shellbrook "Super Mini Moy" amp (and iPod w/ connector dock out) while listening in the office.

Hope this helps,
B

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Fortunately, I have both right now and love them a lot. Their treble is kind of similar quality. however compared with bass, PK1 is much more outstanding than er4p/s. If you ignore the respect of isolating noise, i would like to say pick PK1.

By the way, replay of piano from PK1 is quite impressive
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everyone! I juz bought the pk1 few days ago. it already had around 30 hours of burn-in. At first, it sounded lifeless, but now it sounds much better. I know it still need a lot more of burn-in time, so I'll be patient until it reaches its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back