Yuin PK1 – More than just an alternative to IEMs
Jan 20, 2007 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

drp

500+ Head-Fier
I am a self-proclaimed IEM guy. Starting with Etys (crap, ~9 years ago), I've been through Shure E2s, Shure E5s for 1.5 years, and two years with the very excellent Sensaphonic 2X-S.

For business travel and work, I've been using highly modified KSC-35s (recabled, resistor mod, driver cover perforated to H and back). I use these instead of IEMS so I can hear flight announcements, phone ringing, and to prevent headband hair, to which I am very prone. I was in the market for something smaller and easier to use, but with good SQ. Enter the PK1.

I was, like all posts I've seen so far, skeptical, but I also trust that Tod, or Tood, or even Todd, wouldn’t carry crap, so I decided to give them a whirl. This was a week ago. Current rig for on-the-go is an iMod and a RS Tomahawk (that's burin' in nicely).

The net net is that I am completely blown away by these earphones. I am hearing detail and clarity that I hear with my Sensas, though not to as high a level. Soundstage is remarkable; much closer to full size cans than IEMS.

Learning curve - At first, I was using the foam pads and trying to wedge the driver into my ear canal, pointing straight in. Yes, I am an ear bud noob. Through experimenting with placement, I finally figured out that they actually just hang on the ear, following the natural groove/curve in front of the earlobe, so that the driver is practically suspended just in front of the ear canal. Fine tuning is the key. This allows some of the sound pressure to travel around the outer ear groves, just like natural sound. The sense is that of micro vibration, which lends to the feeling of a larger soundstage. It also makes them extremely comfortable to wear, and easy to insert or remove. Can and do wear them for hours, and they just disappear. Oh, and no foam pads.

Efficiency – They are driven well by the Tomahawk, but the real surprise came when I hooked them up to my Ear+HD-Opus 21 combo. These little buds scale up just like the big boy headphones. The Mapletree adds more headroom, increased resolution, and clarity.

SQ/Fun factor – I can only describe the performance (to my ears) as being like (but not quite in the same league) an Ety in resolution and neutral presentation, and a mid-level Grado in midrange reproduction and downright fun. Bass is tight, dynamic, and right. As I was listening to them plugged into the Mapletree, I kept reaching for the pause button so I could compare to other cans. I would then wait and listen to another song. This went on for over two hours. I actually never got to doing an A/B that night; they were too much fun to stop, which speaks volumes in my book (which this is turning out to be . . sorry).

Construction – The PK1 does not use a J style cable; each driver lead is the same length. The longer cord length makes it possible to move freely around my 6-foot drafting table, which holds my computer, headphone rig (center of it all), solder/tinkering station. Etc. Yes, the housing is plastic, but sturdy. I don't think machined aluminum would make them more impressive, or really sturdier; I think they are sturdy and fine as they are.

Bottom line is that I have a new favorite portable headphone for when the Sensa's isolation doesn't make sense, and so far, just because I love to listen to them. For nighttime use, they are my new "closed cans". I still reach for PS1s or Sensas for critical listening, but while surfing or typing run-on sentences, the PK1s get the duty.

I highly recommend them.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 48
Hi 5! Welcome to the PK1 club.. It's a pretty lonely clubs with all the skeptics
plainface.gif

Difference is they don't serve as alternative to IEM for me

PK1 at home/ ES2 outside

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 48
i'm tempted- i like to share music with other people, but not my earwax. great earbuds seem to be the solution to that, and i'd rather get ones like these (what with all the praise they receive here) than just to use my ibuds.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 48
Hey I'd be willing to give them a try, but not for £70. They may very well be very good earbuds, but when they're £10/£20 short of Grado SR60s and Ety ER6i's I don't know... I have no problem with earbuds. I enjoy my Senn MX500s and think they're quite "fun". I suppose its all perception. People knowingly pay a lot more than things cost to make. But they do it as they think those items are worth it. I just think £70 for earbuds is a bit much. All imo of course
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad you enjoy them

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 48
Its good to hear more positive sentiments wrt PK1. I hope someone (i.e. Todd) can send me a pair for the MI meet that's coming up.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 48
It's been a while since I listened to SR60 (my first head-fi phone 5 or 6 years ago), but I can assure you PK1 is without a doubt the better phone here by a quite large margin. IMHO It should be placed somewhere in the league of ER-4S, instead of being compared with lesser phones like ER6i as the price would suggest.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I'd be willing to give them a try, but not for £70. They may very well be very good earbuds, but when they're £10/£20 short of Grado SR60s and Ety ER6i's I don't know... I have no problem with earbuds. I enjoy my Senn MX500s and think they're quite "fun". I suppose its all perception. People knowingly pay a lot more than things cost to make. But they do it as they think those items are worth it. I just think £70 for earbuds is a bit much. All imo of course
smily_headphones1.gif
Glad you enjoy them

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 48
Ive been posting scattered comments about my PK1...

They are REALLY good. Take everything negative I've ever said about earbuds and throw it ALL away. The PK1 is THE ONE as far as earbuds go.

They are my fave portable when I don't need isolation.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I like these better than my MDREX90 and KSC75
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'll post a detailed impression thread next week.

Garrett

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been posting scattered comments about my PK1...

They are REALLY good. Take everything negative I've ever said about earbuds and throw it ALL away. The PK1 is THE ONE as far as earbuds go.

They are my fave portable when I don't need isolation.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I like these better than my MDREX90 and KSC75
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'll post a detailed impression thread next week.

Garrett

mdr ex90 really isn't that impressive sonically though. If the price is around $40 for the pk2 and $80 for the pk1 then maybe, but not $150
blink.gif
well, actually i have been thinking about getting the pk1, but it's just so damn expensive for an earbud.

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 48
I'm saving up for the ER4P but this surely is not the first time people relate the PKs sound with Grado's, and that really is tempting! Please! Everyone with the PKs keep your reviews/comments coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back