YUIN PK Custom IEM -- Radio Partner Custom Earset
Mar 17, 2007 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
About Radio Partner

Radio Partner is a professional hearing aid and pro-audio company located in NYC midtown. Starting their bussiness for more than 20 years, they helped a lot of famous musicians making their customer earpiece and got very high reputation.

Review Download

2 audiologists mold custom earpieces by Rich Warren, Chicago Tribune, Friday, February 8, 1991

M/C Product Tests: Radio Partner Custom Earsets by Jay Koblenz, ROAD RIDER/January 1992

Collaboration with YUIN

After listening to PKs, Radio Partner decide to collaborate with YUIN and make Custom Earst for them. The Radio Partner Custom Earset consists of Earbud style speakers molded into a pair of custom earpieces made from impressions of your own ears. In order to manufacture your Custom Earset they first send you a packet of material with directions on how to do your own ear impressions, and a return mailer with earbuds so they can then custom make your Radio Partner Custom Earset and send them to you. Important: The custom earpieces are NOT removable.

Product impression

After testing Custom PK1 and PK2 IEM for two weeks, I have to say they are terrific headphones.

Those earpieces improve PK2 a lot. The shortcome of deep sub bass extension is improved and there is much more detail at mid range. On the other hand, bass is not too much and did not blur mid and treble at all. Overall with the earpiece PK2s were inproved a lot and make PK2 jump to Hi-end IEM level. It is very nice to have a Hi-end Customized IEM at $69+$99=$168, isn't it?

With the custom earpiece, what happenned to PK1 is similiar to PK2. However, as PK1s have more bass than PK2s, after adding the earpiece PK1's bass part become a little too much. Fortunately this problem can be fixed by adding resistors and controlling the length of the in-ear-tube. After I connect the $25 DOWIN CABLE DW-04 75ohm ER4P-4S adaptor to those custom-IEM-PK1s, booming bass was noticably weakened. Sound become more balance, neat, smooth and detail. It is interesting that PK1-Custom-IEMs' bass is very amp-dependable and very sensitive to cables. You can easily tell the difference between DOWIN DW08, MiniBox Silver Cable and regular $1 mini-cable by using PK1-custom-IEM and MiniBox-D. Because of bass issue, silver cables are highly recommanded.

Pricing and Contact info

Current Price for a pair of Custom Earpieces: $99
Payment: Call 1-800-321-3364 and pay via Credit card on the phone

RADIO PARTNER CUSTOM EARSET, INC.
243 W. 30th Street
New York, NY 10001
1-800-321-3364 / 212-967-7628
Fax: 212-967-9609

Photo Gallery

PK2 Custom IEM
pk1-iem-6-pk2.jpg

PK1 Custom IEM with DW04 75Ohm ER4P-4S adaptor
pk1-iem-7.jpg

PK1 and PK2 IEM
pk1-iem-3.jpg

PK1 Custom IEM and Phil Audio Headamp
pk1-iem-1.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 21, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 16
awesome, must resist the urge though... haven't even HEARD the PK2s. now i have to!

so they're removable correct? the idea of being able to have full-isolation one minute and then when you need to be aware of your surroundings a quality earbud all in one piece is amazing. i'd rather buy from a sponsor than from a less-than-reputable company selling cheap custom monitors too. expect some money coming your way from yours truly sometime soon.

edit: man that post was all over the place! "must resist, no i have to audition them, crap i'm buyin' these."

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 16
I had Radio Partners make me some custom earmolds for a pair of Etymotic ER-4's. I wouldn't describe it as a pleasant experience, but the molds were made very well and the price was reasonable.
Radio Partners employees exemplify the stereotypical New Yorker- Gruff, loud and no-nonsense. They gave me a hard time about the price even though they advertised it. They said if I hadn't seen the ad they would have charged me more and they made me feel like they were doing me a big favor. It also took them a few days longer than promised to finish the molds, but I think they had a technician out sick.
Anyway it is an inexpensive way to try out customs (I eventually bought ER-10's) and Yuin PK might sound really, really great. The best part about custom earmolds i.m.o. is that you can wear them all day without physical ear fatigue.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so they're removable correct?

Afraid they're not.

Nankai, could you please add some pics with them on you ears? It would be useful to see how much the custom molds project.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 16
Did you guys scrap your IEMs project or what? I tried to take a look at the pictures but I can't seem to be able to open them since they're taken down or something. Are they plastic (yes, I know the PK1/2/3s are plastic, but what are the molds made of?)

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mucklechumps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had Radio Partners make me some custom earmolds for a pair of Etymotic ER-4's. I wouldn't describe it as a pleasant experience, but the molds were made very well and the price was reasonable.
Radio Partners employees exemplify the stereotypical New Yorker- Gruff, loud and no-nonsense. They gave me a hard time about the price even though they advertised it. They said if I hadn't seen the ad they would have charged me more and they made me feel like they were doing me a big favor. It also took them a few days longer than promised to finish the molds, but I think they had a technician out sick.
Anyway it is an inexpensive way to try out customs (I eventually bought ER-10's) and Yuin PK might sound really, really great. The best part about custom earmolds i.m.o. is that you can wear them all day without physical ear fatigue.

ER-10s? Did I miss something?
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 16
this is alwsome~!
is the pk-1 as good as some hi-end headphone now~?

May 30, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Does it work? or just for fun?

May 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 16
According one of the articles, if you're having the molds made for your own phones, the molds are sent to you. If you have to put them on yourself, it seems removing is possible...duh or not to duh?!?

May 31, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According one of the articles, if you're having the molds made for your own phones, the molds are sent to you. If you have to put them on yourself, it seems removing is possible...duh or not to duh?!?

um...uh....hello...

May 31, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 16
According one of the articles, if you're having the molds made for your own phones, the molds are sent to you. If you have to put them on yourself, it seems removing is possible...

sad2.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According one of the articles, if you're having the molds made for your own phones, the molds are sent to you. If you have to put them on yourself, it seems removing is possible...

sad2.gif

BUMP!
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Great news. An audiologist isn't even necessary.

I'm also grateful for your honesty regarding the Pk1's bass response.
Many thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back