Yuin G2A in review - Light, affordable, audiophile
Nov 17, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shigzeo

The Hiss King
After having destroyed my Koss Porta Pro and losing my KSC 75, it was time for a change and that change came in the great, affordable Yuin G2A (I am Canadian, so the Koss Porta Pro is not cheap). Actually, I am surprised by how good these sound and for practical purposes, sound.

This review is a point-form summation of my larger blog review which has all the pictures, stress-tests, and even my mug!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Yuin G2A in Review - Light, affordable, audiophile

REVIEW START

Specs
Impedance: 60 Ohm (±3 ohms)
Sensitivity: 110dB (± 2)
Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz
Cable: 120cm, straight 3.5mm gold-plated plug
Accessories: Spare foam pads

Fit and Build
As a clip-on headphone, the G2A suffers its ups and downs. Firstly, for those whose ears aren't large enough, it will be a worrysome wear. The plastic ear hooks don't bend into shape unlike the Koss headphones, so they may bounce whilst walking and exercising and at other times, simply be an ill fit. But, the aluminium faceplate makes up for it - they are beautiful to look at, though scratchable and while their cable isn't relieved very well, it works and doesn't suffer too much form microphonics. Would it have been nice if they included a right-angle plug? Yes, but that is mounting too much expectation on a shy-of-fifty dollar headphone.

Sound
Where things are almost completely top-rate is sound. The G2A is not the best sounding earphone in the world, but in its price and genre, if not the best, as close to a tie as possible. Tight bass with no bleed, though a tendency to distort at loud volumes, rattling the manifold; and a midrange which simply sings - in fact, among this type of headphone in the under 100$ price class, it is a special headphone. Singers, instruments and the soft vibrations of the driver are all well-voiced. Highs are also very good, well extended and free of grainy harshness and until the headphone jumps over-volume, even keel in comparison to the other frequencies.

Bass and treble each roll off near their extremes, but not enough to bother anyone. But, the highest of high and lowest of lows will be completely drowned out by the rest of the frequency.

Finally, soundstage is good and bad. The headphone is semi-closed and tends to bounce the music back into the ear because of the flat aluminium panel. But, it dynamically renders all frequencies so that imaging is very good, just not elite.

Is this a headphone for out and about? Hardly. It blocks about 5-10 decibels of sound (at best), but the majority of the outside will seep in and the inside will seep out. Wind, cars, people - the G2A is not made to block outside noise, so don't turn the volume up, just use a different headphone outside.

Conclusion
Definitely worth its 49$ bones - sounds great, looks great and does a fine job of showing up more expensive neighbours. The cable is meh and the ear hooks need a realistic alternative, but other than that, what a great headphone.

REVIEW END

Again, for pictures, stress tests and the full, detailed review, check the link below:
ORIGINAL REVIEW: Yuin G2A in Review - Light, affordable, audiophile

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 16
I moved the GA2s I had to the cheap headband mod and gave them to a friend, who really loves them. To me, clip-ons are just a pain, but easy to convert. I would love to find a decent headband for this mod, but not easy to find (I have my Ksc35s on the same $1.99 headband). But I agree Shigzeo, these phones are well worth the price of admission.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 16
eta on a G1A review and comparison?
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TSARN, you are right -- clip-ons are a pain. I also look for a good mod as I love these phones' sound, but the clip-on is rubbish!

Sure you know about this. I bought some for dfkt and mailed to him for his G1A and G2A. For $2, better than clips. If you want a pair or two let me know. I'll order 4-5 and keep a couple. I only have one left, which I have to switch between the Ksc35s and Kramer modded 75s.

Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones | headphones earbuds earphones MP3 reference ipod portable walkman mp3 cd personal

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 16
I really like the GA2 as well. I do agree with your review. Clarity is far better compared to the legendary Koss Porta.

I'm also interested in a comparison with the GA1. Does it really sound +$100 better?

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 16
I've not heard the G1A, though I would like to. I will be at a headphone meet soon with a lot of real geeks from Japan (trust me, they will make even head-fi's most geeky look like hooligans!) and probably have a chance to hear a super-modded G1A! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back