Yu Long Mini DAC: does anyone know what it's like ??
Jun 16, 2006 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DennyL

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 16, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 11
I've been looking at it, and I agree with your impression.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Oh dear, the listing has disappeared.

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 11
120_130376.jpg

120_130380.jpg

120_130378.jpg

retails for $1580RMB in china
extras:
usb connecter $100RMB
optical input $50RMB

●This audio device is designed and developed by YULONG Audio lead engineer, using not less than 4 years. This circuit of this PCM179x based digital analog converter has been improved, tuned and calibrated to make it performs at its best.
●PCM1798 perfomance figures:
●THD:0。0005%
●Dynamic range:123DB
● Signal-to-noise ratio:123DB
●Sound characteristics: great dynamic range, wide and deep soundstage, amazing details and sweet natural sound. Pair with high end headphones and audio components will let you enjoy the pleasure of high fidelity audio.
●The Minidac-A utilizing special designed non-conventional technique: power supply using self-developed T-shaped RCR filtering network (similar to tube amp CLC working theory), separate power supply section of each sections, to ensure power supply purity and naturalness of sound. Analog I/V conversion utilizing special developed I/V conversion module which comprise of audio grade JFET(Junction Field Effect Transistors). The module is completely covered by metal case. With this module, sweet natural sound can be ensured with no listening fatigue.
●Digital signal input gone through buffered shaping which can effectively reduce jitter.
●Power supply utilizing custom made high performance EI transformer which is the basis of beautiful sound. After commutation, 3 pieces of ELNA audio grade large capacitors will do the filtering. After voltage stabilized will go through the filtering network which comprises of NICHICON MUSE audio capacitors and high precision resistors. As much as 9 pieces of high speed capacitors were used on the digital circuit, such capacitors can only be found in a few European high end audio devices. Resistors comprises of DALE and KOA high precision resistors, some circuit uses the Western Electric high class resistors.
●The digital receiver of the MiniDAC-A comprises of 74VHCU04 hex inverter and CS8414. Digital analog converter is PCM179X, I/V conversion using self-developed JFET module, analog output stage using OPA604.
●The MiniDAC-A also conveniently include a high performance headphone amplifier. The amp uses high current JRC4560D. The potentiometer is custom made in Taiwan. The MiniDAC-A also has analog RCA output to connect to high end headphone amp or power amplifier for users who demand even higher performance.
●Featuring delay switch on capability and headphone protection, to ensure safety of your headphones and speakers.
●Full aluminium casing with double brush anodising treatment. The face plate has wiredraw anodizing treatment, The RCA connectors are CMC high end gold plated plugs. All these contribute to the classy physical appearance of the MiniDAC-A.
●Uniform design, without using a singple piece of wire to ensure the stability of signal to noise ratio.
●USB-SPDIF convertor is available as accessory. This facilitate easy connection with notebook/laptop users.

●Appendix: Technical specifications
●Standard input: Coaxial SPDIF, Optional input: USB-SPDIF
●Input sample rate: 44.1, 48, 96kHz/16/24BIT Auto detection
● Signal to Noise ratio:>110db
● Dynamic range:120dB
● Total Harmonic Distortion:1KHZ%0.005
● Rated Power: 1.8VPP
● Frequency Response: 20-20kHz-0.08db
● Total Power <10W
●Dimensions: 100x200x55mm
●Weight: 1.3kg

taken from http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=225...toread=&page=1

you should prob post this in the DAC section lol
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Sep 19, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Just bought it. It should arrive on Friday. I'll post a detailled review (source : Squeezebox v3, cans : HD 650)

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 11
I've tested it for a couple of hour now. My setup is : Squeezebox v3 > Yulong > hd650 and Sony CDP > Yulong > hd650.

Quick AB test between different setup learned me the following :

- With my cans plugged on my integrated amp (Cairn 4807 with a great amount of noise) I can't tell any differences between Yulong's DAC and Squeebox's.

- With yulong's headpohne amp, The sound is much much better : clearer, more texture, softer bass, a lot of details. It "seems" to lack a bit of dynamics (impact on bass attacks) but it may come from the fact that the basses are "clean"...

So : I don't now what exactly brought better details, scene and texture, it may be the (though) cheap headphone amp or it may be the top DAC of the Yulong but I'm quite satisfied ! I'll look forward to AB sources with a "good" amp. Do you think a tiny LDII+ could help ?

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 11
The output stage looks highly tweekable.... I see 3 socketed OPamps... a JRC and a couple burr Browns. NICE, contact the amps builder and inquire about different OP amp recommendations.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 11
I didn't notice the socketed opamps, it is great that he socketed them. I am in China but i didn't notice the price was in RMB and thought the price was pretty steep. For not quite $200 this would seem to be a great buy. Does it have a contact in China for the seller?

I bet the bass will firm up after a couple of hundred hours as there will be other changes to the musical presentation as well.

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I bet the bass will firm up after a couple of hundred hours as there will be other changes to the musical presentation as well.

Exactly : the bass are now (after 10 hours) much firmer. No significant other change to my ear.

Do you believe that the HeadPhone amp part is tweakable easily ?

BTW Jamato8 I've looked at your photos following the link on your signature and they are really really beautiful ! Congrats

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atchoum
Quick AB test between different setup learned me the following :

- With my cans plugged on my integrated amp (Cairn 4807 with a great amount of noise) I can't tell any differences between Yulong's DAC and Squeebox's.

EDIT : After another couple of hour burnin' I can now without any doubt make the difference in clarity, tonal atmosphere between Yulong's and Squeezebox DAC, even with my (not so) lo-fi loudspeakers ! Strings sound absoluty "true" with the Yulong and it is really easy to follow different musical phrases (or instruments) in the same track. And my internal cdp's DAC is far far far away from Squeezebox"s and Yulong's ones ! Sounds "muddy".

NB : differences are more likely to be seen with high quality source ie if you are only listening to mp3 (except latests Lame --V1 new encoded and so on...) , the squeezebox's DAC is a great value !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back