Ys - Joanna Newsom
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I liked it. Read a lot of bad reviews saying it doesn't have the charm of milk eyed mender, but then again I remember reading a lot of bad reviews of that album too.

I'm not so sure about the first two tracks, I don't think the strings gel with her playing/singing. The last few tracks are amazing though, particularly love Bill Callahan's backing vocals on Only Skin.

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite
I liked it. Read a lot of bad reviews saying it doesn't have the charm of milk eyed mender, but then again I remember reading a lot of bad reviews of that album too.

note that most of the reviews would state that they can't get past Joanna's vocals and dismiss the whole album entirely.

i love the milk-eyed mender. and eagerly awaiting picking up Ys soon. i was surprised of the tracklist when i first heard news of it. only 5 songs w/ each song ranging over 10+ mins long.

hopefully one of the local independent music shops carry this album (as well as Isobel Campbell's "milkwhite sheets"). Joanna is also having a show in Vancouver in december. hope it isn't sold out yet. *knock on wood*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back