You've got $2500, What dac are you going to buy?
Aug 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bennyhaha812

Head-Fier
Hello all . I am looking to upgrade my dac. I will give some background first. I listen to all types of music in lossless format on a HTPC that I built. I like DIY and am likely to mod anything I purchase to improve its SQ if possible. I hope I can avoid flame wars here as I am asking for your opinions based on components you've heard yourselves. I realize system synergy is most important but really have no way to listen to items on my system as the only hifi store around here is closing due to the owner retiring. My current system consists of a Dynaco VTA ST-120 amplifier, my own built El Duderino preamplifier (Search custom line stage from Don Sachs to see what I built), a heavily modded Music Hall dac 25.3 done myself which included power supply, dexa discrete op amps, new burson clock upgrade, and most of the discrete components replaced including mazda 7308 tube, and Vienna Acoustic Mozart speakers.

The dac I purchase should be around $2000 or less although I am willing to go up to $2500 at most if it is worth it. I am very interested in NOS R2R ladder dacs but have never heard one. I had been looking at Gustard x20 pro but not really any longer. I am interested in Schiit Yggdrasil, Holo Spring, LKS audio mh-da004, Oppo Sonica. The Yggy seems to be very popular, anything around the price point or less that currently outperforms it? I have seen many others that people feel very strongly about but it seems there are few direct comparisons between components. Ric over at tweakaudio feels the LKS and Oppo are great units for the money and in his opinion is better than the Schiit but as with anything I have to take this with a grain of salt.

I am planning on making my purchase around the Holiday season so there is time to do more research and maybe something new will come out and turn out to be a better performance/$$$ champion. I have USB or optical outputs from my HTPC. I have also been considering buying a Singxer SU-1 unit to go with my newly selected dac if it fits within the budget. The LKS would be paired with this as an example and I would use I2S in this situation. I haven't used DSD but if it is an option and provides a worthwhile advantage then I am interested in it.

Thank you all ahead of time for your input and hopefully I can figure out what will work best for me in the end. As you all know, there is so much to choose from and so many different circuit designs out there that it can make your head spin at times. I am looking for the most natural, realistic analog sound I can find for my system at the lowest price. I highly value soundstage and separation with pinpoint accuracy, detail, lack of harshness or listening fatigue. I love listening to an album and feeling like the performance is live in my listening area and would like to improve upon this. I listen at levels that a conversation can be had but sometimes crank it up too.
IMG_1148.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 17
Sorry I can't be of more help but the Schiit line is very well known for outperforming its price point. From the $99 Modi 2 to the $500 Jotunheim combo to the flagship gear, they consistently prove to be well worth the money. I'm sure there is a very good reason that the Yggy is one of the most mentioned pieces of gear whenever a discussion arises about which DAC to buy in the $X range

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 17
The most expensive DAC I've owned so far is the Chord 2Qute. Haven't heard DACs over $2,000 yet. (Unless you count the $4,300 430HAD DAC/amp.) I will mention that, aside from the Schiit Yggdrasil, the Chord Hugo 2 is on my list of DACs to check out sooner or later in that price range. Opinions are all over the place on DACs, though, so if you're going to be spending this much money, it would be best to go out to meets and shops to audition things before making a decision.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I have a Yggy and love it. I have not heard the others you mentioned but you might check out the Yggdrasil thread as I know there is at least one person there that has both a Yggy and a Holo Spring ( I think the KTE version but don't quote me on that) that might give you a bit more insight on it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm curious as to what headphones (assuming) that you are using. Care to share?

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 17
Mostly my HD-800's and 700's and Ether-C's and K872's. With the 6xx's and HE-400S and K240 sextetts when I feel like it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 17
Hugo 2 not so much the others haven't heard. Not that the Hugo 2 is bad but I think not as good as the Yggy. To be honest did not a/b them just heard them on amps I know.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeahhh... ~$11,000 qualifies as outside the price range of $2,500. :dizzy_face:
I believe the quote was this was out of your price range but one to consider. It can be had for much less. I don't think it is as good as the price but that is my opinion.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I was considering the Holo Spring level 3 and contacted them with questions on Friday but never received a reply. I emailed them again, and still no response. This is discouraging me from spending money for a unit modded by Kitsune. Their contact page states how much they wish to make a good impression with customers and email being the best way to contact them. They also state they will respond within a day at the latest if not immediately and I'm on 5 days and two attempts to contact them. Maybe they're closed for vacation or something but it's been discouraging for me. I am currently considering a Denafrips Pontus or more likely a Venus. Anyone heard these and compared them to any other units other than the Russian guy? I will be able to get the Venus within $100 of my budget and Alvin Chee has responded to all my questions promptly and professionally. The kind of customer service one should expect, and when I thanked Alvin for his professionalism he simply stated, "happy customer, happy business."
All Denafrips users out there care to give an impression on the units? I see Ares is popular and Terminator is out of my price range so I am looking at Pontus and Venus and leaning towards the Venus as it looks similar in specs to Terminator. Alvin stated he feels the Pontus is equal to or better then Holo Spring level 3 for less money and stated he feels the Venus is a few steps better but I have to take it with a grain of salt since he is the founder of the company and in business. He also may have the units tuned to his personal preference. He did feel if I purchased the Venus it would save me from upgrade urges for years to come! Please share your impressions if you've listened to any of the Denafrips and particularly the two I am considering. Thanks all!

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 17
I know several people who traded their slightly higher resolution but also a bit more neutral/sterile Yggy for the slightly warmer Gumby ... to ad some flavour to the overall Yggy-hype-discussion on this forum :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back