Youtube sound vs. Winamp or "Is there something wrong with me??"
Jun 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Audioholic

Head-Fier
Ok, it's like this, I listen to my mp3 stuff on winamp, and all songs are 256 kbps or above. I also have flac files etc. So one day I go to Youtube and enter one of my favourite songs: Jerome Ismae "Smile when you kill me" and listen to it in HD(720p). And omg, the sound is so much better, the soundstage is wider, bass is punchyer and overall I'd say a 50% improvement in sound. So I downloaded the same song in mp3 losless (about 980-something kbps) and while the quality was better, it just wasn't like Youtube's. It's not only that. It's like the sound is just different altogether! When I listen to quality Youtube music, it's like I have a different set of headphones on, Is that possible? Why is it so different? I tought that I'm imagining this, but it's like that with all music on youtube(quality) vs winamp (same songs). Anybody get the same feedback?

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 33
Nah but different winamp versions sounds a bit different. I'm not a fan of the latest versions, v5.35 is my fav that I'm using. Altough I don't use Winamp anymore though, foobar2000 with Dolby headphone ftw => http://www.mediafire.com/?ky1d1g0nk4n (it's preconfigured, just have to be extracted)

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 33
I understand what you say Audioholic, thats why im using a different player now. I switched to Foobar, and the sound is better than winamp...more bass, details, and vocals are better. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 33
Have anyone tried The KM player? Its a great player i have been using....i never liked winamp...

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 33
"bass is punchier" makes me think that the YouTube version was less compressed, and your version is moreso. The first thing that disappears when a song is compressed to hell and back is the kickdrum impact.

Either that or you're not volume matching and YouTube is playing louder than Winamp (this happens to me a lot when I switch to a video). Or it's just placebo.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 33
Sound quality...amazing, specially the girl who sings. 
biggrin.gif

Is she romanian right? 

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 33
You expect us to listen to the sound quality with THAT girl in the video?!

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 33
Jun 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 33
Thanks, on behalf of my country. It really is full of hot chicks.

Ontopic then, that sound is indeed very "pleasing", if you're can stand that kind of overproduced, all-instruments-in-one approach. That's not recorded music, that's produced music.

Apparently Youtube uses AAC audio encoding with a bitrate of 232 kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back