Youtube quality question
Apr 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I was randomly browsing around youtube, and found a song that I have heard quite a lot.
But now with my new headset (D2K's) I could hear som noise, as in low bitrate or clipping of the recording.

So this has made me wonder, what quality is youtubes music in? And yes, I know that you can select different resolutions of video, but what about the sound?

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
but what about the sound?

one problem is often that people rip video streams and then re-upload multiple time which results in further  degradation of sound quality. I  think youtube apply some loudness compression too.
Listening at some hd content uploaded from vevo would sound "decent".

If you are looking for "audiophile" experience, I  would stay away from youtube.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes, try to choose the highest resolution but you still wouldn't know the quality of the audio. Maybe a 720 video quality has the audio quality of a 128 kbps music file.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 12
I remember reading that 480p has maximum audio quality. No need to go higher than that if you're only using it for music.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 12
youtube is not as bad people make it out to be. i use all the time looking and listening to new music if i'm not using foobar2000,my turntables or cd players. i found lot of amazing sounding stuff on youtube. people just tend to exaggerate on how awful youtube is.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
youtube is not as bad people make it out to be. i use all the time looking and listening to new music if i'm not using foobar2000,my turntables or cd players. i found lot of amazing sounding stuff on youtube. people just tend to exaggerate on how awful youtube is.

It all comes down to who uploaded it. If someone uploads a video with 180kbps audio (which is what the majority of people have), obviously the result won't be any better than 180kbps. On "official" channels I agree it's usually pretty good.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Video's on "Official" channels will sound decent but if you're up for it, try out MOG. I pay $5 a month for unlimited computer access and I love it! 320Kbps streaming where most of spotify's stuff is in 128 or 192. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back