yourmusic.com recommendations
Apr 5, 2006 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

qaam

New Head-Fier
Since cds are crazy cheap on yourmusic, I've been looking to fill some gaps in my collection and to try some new stuff out. I figure ordering a good ten to twenty cds from there should be a good start (and keep me busy for a really long time).

Anyone have any recommendations for cds they carry?

I know this is a bit vague, but I'm basically looking for great cds that yourmusic has since they have a crummy selection. Plus, newbies to a certain genre could jump in for cheap.

Here's some jazz cds I recommend that yourmusic.com carries,

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
totally trite I know, but still essential
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Awesome rhythms but probably not a good starting point, but this will give you a glipse into Miles's fusion period. If you like this, I'd say try A Tribute to Jack Johnson and On the Corner.
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Another classic.
Ornette Colman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come
I wish they would release a remastered version of this!
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

At six bucks a piece, you might as well try a couple of those if you haven't ever listened to jazz. There's tons more, though these are a good start. Anymore cds that yourmusic.com sells that are a must have? Particularly, does yourmusic carry any awesome classical records?

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by qaam
Since cds are crazy cheap on yourmusic, I've been looking to fill some gaps in my collection and to try some new stuff out. I figure ordering a good ten to twenty cds from there should be a good start (and keep me busy for a really long time).

Anyone have any recommendations for cds they carry?

I know this is a bit vague, but I'm basically looking for great cds that yourmusic has since they have a crummy selection. Plus, newbies to a certain genre could jump in for cheap.

Here's some jazz cds I recommend that yourmusic.com carries,

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
totally trite I know, but still essential
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Awesome rhythms but probably not a good starting point, but this will give you a glipse into Miles's fusion period. If you like this, I'd say try A Tribute to Jack Johnson and On the Corner.
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Another classic.
Ornette Colman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come
I wish they would release a remastered version of this!
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

At six bucks a piece, you might as well try a couple of those if you haven't ever listened to jazz. There's tons more, though these are a good start. Anymore cds that yourmusic.com sells that are a must have? Particularly, does yourmusic carry any awesome classical records?

They have the complete cellar door sessions for like $36...that's an awesome deal right there....

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Yourmusic.com is a great deal, ain't it? I ordered a Simon & Garfunkel box set a few minutes ago.

In anycase, there's already a lengthy thread on this topic.

For anyone who likes Simon & Garfunkel I highly recommend Riot on an Empty Street by The Kings of Convenience.I like it better than any of the Simon & Garfunkel albums and it belongs in every collection of people who like singer/song writer material.Its a real sleeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back