Your Zune 120 wait is over!
Sep 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. How about the bass, is it there ? (I tried a ipod and it lacked a whole lot compared to a818)

I feel the bass is quite good. I don't listen to an iPod, I haven't in quite a long time...at least in length. I have an iPhone and a Nano 3G but I never listen to them. From what I remember just thinking about my last run with my Nano, the bass is better on the Zune.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 23
I ordered my 120 on Wednesday and it shipped yesterday. It should arrive by Monday.

I can't wait.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they might be the same but has anyone done any real comparisons between the 120 and the 80 ?

I'm worried that perhaps microsoft sacrificed sound quality for hd space.

I think it would actually cost more for them to switch DACs. They already have the design of both models locked down.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 23
No EQ keeps me away - can't afford an amp and such. Gotta' go w/the ghetto setup me'self!!!

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the bass is quite good. I don't listen to an iPod, I haven't in quite a long time...at least in length. I have an iPhone and a Nano 3G but I never listen to them. From what I remember just thinking about my last run with my Nano, the bass is better on the Zune.

I owned an I-pod 2 gig Nano and got the Zune 30 gig which definitely sounded better than the Nano…with all things being equal. Then I moved from the Zune 30 to the 80 again a nice sound improvement. It’s a very smooth, open and natural sounding player with pretty minimal sonic signature. Never felt there was anything lacking or missing in the bass, never missed the tone controls...but I never really believed in them if the gear is accurate. I’m a flat “defeat the tone controls” kind of guy anyway. It’s a very musical and excellent sounding device (as many have lamented on these boards) and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they might be the same but has anyone done any real comparisons between the 120 and the 80 ?
I'm worried that perhaps Microsoft sacrificed sound quality for hd space.

If I was a betting man I would wager the sound will be identical between the 80 and 120 since the 120 hard drive had already been available as an storage upgrade from the mod community. Haven’t heard the 120 yet, so I can’t verify it, but that is just an educated guess after reading the Zune tech boards.

From what I could gather this was really just an increased storage capacity upgrade combined with a future software update this fall all for the same price point. When I pick mine up I will do a head to head comparison. With any luck it will sound even better, but I kind of doubt it.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of these players have line-out capabilities?

Yes I too wish they had a better line out capabilities. This is one of their few failings IMHO. Microsoft has had the lock on this unfortunately. I do use the Zune dock direct (via mini to RCA) into my Arcam for playback on the home system, but wish they would unlock the LOD capabilities for upgraded cords, better connection to headphone amps (as opposed to the headphone out), etc.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back