Your ultimate band / album
Feb 18, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I will probably get some Porcupine Tree starting with most recent Abstentia, sounds much better to me vs usual prog rock like Dream Theater, Marillion, Queensryche etc.

Hard to find though outside of new CD, would like to get :
LIGHTBULB SUN
STUPID DREAM

What do you recommend after ABSENTIA?

yeah, In Absentia would be the place to start for someone who's definately into the darker side of music. Lightbulb Sun is much more "regular", poppy-ish (in a PT way, but still). Stupid Dream has some of those heavy moments found on In Absentia, and also more spacy Pink Floydish moments. in my experience, Stupid Dream stays fresh longer, and actually pretty close to In Absentia. and my pick as second buy. before that, theres more dance-rythm and psychedelica infused music. still similar, but also really different, tho not nearly as exciting as their latest couple of CDs.

Feb 18, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
yeah, In Absentia would be the place to start for someone who's definately into the darker side of music. Lightbulb Sun is much more "regular", poppy-ish (in a PT way, but still). Stupid Dream has some of those heavy moments found on In Absentia, and also more spacy Pink Floydish moments. in my experience, Stupid Dream stays fresh longer, and actually pretty close to In Absentia. and my pick as second buy. before that, theres more dance-rythm and psychedelica infused music. still similar, but also really different, tho not nearly as exciting as their latest couple of CDs.

Went ahead and ordered ABSTENTIA because I was able to hear some samples which sound good.......not sure about those older CDs though.

Are you familiar with group Nightingale, prog rock which features
Dan Swano who has long history in dark metal previously.

Feb 18, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 32
if you want the ultimate porcupine tree moments go with "staircase infinities" and "voyage 34 the complete trip"

also "up the downstair" and "the sky moves sideways"

I'm not a big fan of the "newer" porcupine tree sound, it has gotten farther away from the floydish sound and moved on to a heavier rock flavor - dark angel will probably like that era more.

Feb 18, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 32
if I had my feet to the fire I would personally suggest some radiohead. you can't go wrong with any of their albums but if you want ultimates - you must go with "the bends" it is a classic without a bad song on the whole album, I think it's my generations "white album" or "abbey road" all of this is my opinion of course!!!

Feb 18, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 32
fyrfytrhoges,

I agree with your Porcupine Tree comments... those are all fantastic albums.

I however, am a big fan of both Porcupine Tree eras, for different reasons.

I have to say, though, that "Signify" is a great album for a PT newbie to check out, because it really melds the two styles. It is a transitional album. This is the first album that was really a band effort, rather than a Steven Wilson solo project.

With regards to Radiohead; "The Bends" is the only Radiohead album I have ever really gotten into. I have tried every album since, but they have never excited me. I haven't listened to "The Bends" in over a year, though... I'll have to throw it in the CD player tonight!

Feb 18, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
So I want to hear from you guys, as to what band and/or album (current or forthcoming) I should definitely get given the chance. I'm a musical omnivore (with the exception of anything that's popular in Germany
wink.gif
) so suggest away please!

I am mainly a fan of progressive rock/metal, so my suggestions are in that vein. Here goes:

Tony Levin - Pieces of the Sun
Fantastic instrumental album from bass/stick guru, Tony Levin. The band is essentially Peter Gabriel's touring band. The song "Apollo" is nominated for a Grammy for "Best Rock Instrumental"

Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane IMO, the best progressive metal act going. Remedy Lane is their latest, but "The Perfect Element" and "One Hour by a Concrete Lake" are brilliant albums as well.

The Tea Party - The Interzone Mantras Excellent Canadian hard rock band. This is their latest album, and it is very good. Their 1995 album "The Edges Of Twilight" is my favorite.

Planet X - Moonbabies Intense metal/jazz fusion by ex-Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Sherinian with Tony McAlpine on guitar and Virgil Donati on drums. Amazing stuff.

Feb 20, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 32
Hmm...excluding anything German or popular in Germany excludes just about anything I could suggest. But you should at least give these CDs a try: Project Pitchfork "Trialog" and "View From A Throne" (they are both EP's). It's very good electronic music that has a possitive message to the lyrics (some lyrics are in German, though).

Otherwise, Conjure One's self-titled album is pretty good, although not one of my favorite albums.

Feb 21, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

LISA
Nothing wrong with Rammstein, very cool in my book.

It was just the first thing I thought of that he wouldn't want. But as I said, I think it's worth a listen.

Very cool...the first time I saw them the singer was standing on stage with his coat on fire...looked hot to me.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 32
Hmmm... Have you heard the new Massive Attack album? I really like it.

Feb 21, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #26 of 32
Radiohead's OK Computer, American Head Charge's War Of Art, Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile, Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, and Tool's Aenima and Lateralus are IMO the best CDs I own.

Feb 21, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 32
Keep the suggestions coming please.... I have a lot of CD's to claim
smily_headphones1.gif

It would also help me a lot if you could mention a representative track in any album, something that would describe the album's overall feel best. It helps me when I'm queueing them up to hear what it's like in Kazaa or WinMX. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 32
Here's some tracks to listen for the CDs I listed:

Project Pitchfork "Trialog": Either the title track or "Behind The Fog"

Project Pitchfork "View From A Throne": Either the title track or "Corpus Hermeticum"

Conjure One "Conjure One": "Tears From The Moon"

And an additional CD, if you don't mind going a few years back:

Steve Perry "For The Love Of Strange Medicine": Either the title track or "You Better Wait"

Feb 23, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 32
I second Massive Attack! borrowed itr from a friend, and it is really cool IMO. doesn't knock you ovcer the head or anything, but I really like it. not as dark as Mezzanine, a much more pleasant listen.

I just got The Gathering - Souvenirs. I really like the new direction they're taking their music in. really falls somewhere inbetween their old stuff (Mandylion) and Chroma Key, Massive Attack, and OSI actually. very breathy, open, rythmic.

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 32
Marilyn Manson – Antichrist Superstar – Songs: either The Beautiful People, or Tourniquet
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1 – Songs: either Thunder Kiss 65, or Black Sunshine
Tool – Aenima – Songs: either Forty Six & 2, or Stinkfist
Van Halen – 1984 – Songs: either Jump, or Panama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back