Your top ten of 05?
Dec 11, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
6. the clientele - strange geometry

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that Clientele album if you feel like it. I did check your blog but there's only one line. I was just looking into it this morning after seeing a Merge ad and they do make it sound nice. Maybe too nice? They have a silly blurb from Spin that compares it to classics by the Zombies and Love and Galaxie 500, all of which I love but also which seems a bit unplausible to me because I'd think it would be getting a bunch more attention if there was even a hint of truth to those comparisons. Your take?
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #47 of 74
my experience with 60's pop is limited to what my dad spins on the LP player, actually. the clientele have the really soft down tempo style music that i really dig. i listen to a lot of chillout and trip hop music, and it kinda fits the bill as the kind of album that you can just play in the background and forget that its on. i guess if you carefully analyze it it may come off as a bit bland, but for easy listening it's great stuff. i'm really suprised that they haven't been gaining popularity, considering that most of their reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. i think some that can be attributed to the fact that theyre signed to an obscure british label. i have never heard of "cd pointy" in my life. anyways, i hope that helps.

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

my experience with 60's pop is limited to what my dad spins on the LP player, actually. the clientele have the really soft down tempo style music that i really dig. i listen to a lot of chillout and trip hop music, and it kinda fits the bill as the kind of album that you can just play in the background and forget that its on. i guess if you carefully analyze it it may come off as a bit bland, but for easy listening it's great stuff. i'm really suprised that they haven't been gaining popularity, considering that most of their reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. i think some that can be attributed to the fact that theyre signed to an obscure british label. i have never heard of "cd pointy" in my life. anyways, i hope that helps.

Hey, thanks for the extra comments. I didn't realize how young you were when I asked, but looks like you've developed a good appreciation of music. They're on Merge Records in the US which isn't a big label, but isn't really all that small anymore for a indie, especially since the Arcade Fire hit big last year. Lots of other favorites on their roster like the Clean and David Kilgour and Neutral Milk Hotel and Magnetic Fields and Spoon and Radar Bros. and a few others. Shoulda posted the link in the thread above in case anyone else was interested in checking out the Clientele ...
http://www.mergerecords.com/catalog...._id=26&ref=JMC

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #49 of 74
In no order:

Elbow - Leaders Of The Free World
Mountain Goats - Sunset Tree
My Morning Jacket - Z
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Editors - The Back Room

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #50 of 74
yes, eMusic had Stars! I downloaded their cover of "This Charming Man" by The Smiths - my wife loves Morrissey so this track was a hit in the house.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #52 of 74
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Opeth - Ghost_Reveries
Stream Of Passion - Embrace The Storm
Sonata_Arctica-The_End_of_this_Chapter ( Beacuse of the bonud cd )
System_of_A_Down_-_Mesmerize

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #53 of 74
Pitchfork (I know, bleh
biggrin.gif
) compiled some artists' Top 5 of '05 lists here.

Andrew Bird picked two of the same albums on my year end list.
biggrin.gif

Dude from M83 surprisingly picked Coldplay and Gwen Stefani for his top two spots.

Eleanor from The Fiery Furnaces picked R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet"! LOL. That's awesome! I think it was the part about the midget that pushed that one over for me, too.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #54 of 74
Thanks everyone! Thanks to this thread I blew through my 100 free songs on eMusic - and I never even got to Andrew Bird hehe.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #55 of 74
pitchfork is way to pretentious and biased, even for indie snobs like me.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

pitchfork is way to pretentious and biased, even for indie snobs like me.

Did you even go to the link? It's not Pitchfork writers, it's various music artists doing Top 5 year end lists. Included lists by members of The Go! Team, Clientele, and Britt Daniel from Spoon who were in your top 10.

I thought it was a good read.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #57 of 74
i read the article and yes i thought it was a good read. i was just making a general comment about most of their reviews.

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #59 of 74
Damn, things change quick:

Deerhoof - The Runners Four
Smog- A River Ain’t Too Much to Love
Antony & the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Earth - Hex Or Printing In The Infernal Method
The Evens - s/t
Sunn 0))) - Black One
Six Organs of Admittance - School of the Flower
Page France - Hello, Dear Wind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back