Your top 3 IEMs...what are they? why?
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkDTSHD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Zack. But $299.99 US for a pair of earphones for my iPod? Not this first time around.
smily_headphones1.gif

How did you set your iTunes "preferences/advance/import" to? What are your settings? Or did you leave it as is? I'm assuming you didn't.

Well they are $174 USD shipped from Amazon...

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 65
For the price, check out the Altec Lansing im716. I have those. They are OK, light on bass in the HD setting and I find the bass setting murky.

The ER-4P is around $180 on Amazon.

For the price, the Atrio M5/M8 looks like it's getting good reviews.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 65
Another vote for the IM716 - several nice features in the stock version like the Bass and High Definition selector, and the in-line volume control which is trick for the occasional airline entertainment system use.

But the main deal is they are inexpensive, and come very close to the ER4P/S sound, with some added functionality/switchability. IMO, best all around airline travel IEM.

After a year of constant abuse, mine seem to be holding up well - no cable or functional problems at all. I thought at first they seemed lightweight but whatever material is used in the cable jackets is tough and resilient.

Just m2c but these things are standing the test of time quite well.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With lossless there are no bitrate options. It is the highest quality you can rip . If you have the space it is the way to go.

You're right. I just set my iTunes to Apple Lossless. How much more space would a track take? Approximately. Did you ever compare (to lets say a 128kbps track)?

Also, if you had to choose a pair of good entry-level quality earphones which would you choose. If you had to choose between the JAYS d-jay, Etymotic 6i, Shure SE210 and the Ultimate ear Super.Fi 3.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 65
Most of us folks talking about the Mylarone X3 are ones that were looking for the best bang for the buck like the KSC75s. I think that they are indeed that and are better than the KSC75s. Whats better beyond that from an IEM, I have no idea. I'm sure there are better for more money, but I've found the sweet spot for IEMs. I just wish they were only 20-30 bucks, lol.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 65
My experience with high-end IEMs is limited.

3. MylarOne X3s
2. ER4P/S (had cable)
1. Atrio M5s.

Did a major A/B test pitting ER4Ps against the M5s, and I kept coming back to the M5s. Amped, unamped, etc. Tonight, I walked home from the gym (about 1.5 miles) in Philly, and had a rap/hip hop mix on. The M5 sound just blew me away. It's all about smooth, thick, fun sound. The Etys were good, but in the end, too "thin" for my resources (no serious headphone amp). When it comes to price ($130)/performance, the Atrios are hard to beat.

I never had any IEMs in the $500-$1,000 range, so I can only relay my experience. Sure I'd love some E530s or UE Triple-Fi's, but won't spend the $$$ for them. I'd rather get another LCD flat screen TV.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of us folks talking about the Mylarone X3 are ones that were looking for the best bang for the buck like the KSC75s. I think that they are indeed that and are better than the KSC75s. Whats better beyond that from an IEM, I have no idea. I'm sure there are better for more money, but I've found the sweet spot for IEMs. I just wish they were only 20-30 bucks, lol.

The X3s are nice mid-budget phones, but not on the same level as the ER4Ps or M5s (or other higher-end phones). Having said that, I bought two pair, for kicking around, etc.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 65
I'd recommend the Creative EP-630 for a cheap IEM and the Etymotic ER-6i for a better quality IEM that works with the 5.5G iPod 80 GB.

The problem with Shures is that with the E2c and E3c now rapidly disappearing from retailers, they're replaced with the much more expensive SE210 and SE310 models (the SE210 at US$150 is not worth it). At US$150 you might as well get a Ultimate Ears UE Super.fi 3 Studio or Westone UM1 and get a lot of change back.
etysmile.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend the Creative EP-630 for a cheap IEM and the Etymotic ER-6i for a better quality IEM that works with the 5.5G iPod 80 GB.

The problem with Shures is that with the E2c and E3c now rapidly disappearing from retailers, they're replaced with the much more expensive SE210 and SE310 models (the SE210 at US$150 is not worth it). At US$150 you might as well get a Ultimate Ears UE Super.fi 3 Studio or Westone UM1 and get a lot of change back.
etysmile.gif

Strange how companies price the same brand/model in Canada and the US. For example the UE Super.fi 3 Studio are only $120.00 CAD yet they are $150.00 US. If I wanted a pair of Etymotics ER4 I would have saved almost $200.00 CAD buying from the US. This is assuming I order from www.amazon.com and don't get hit with customs tax when it crosses the border. That or I could make a trip to the US and buy it there. Or have some one travelling to my neck of the woods bring it up for me.

Any how I was wondering how much larger Apple Lossless files are. Asking another member. Just found out. The files are usually 3x the size. I guess it's a good thing I bought the 80GB iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny. No one's commented or mentioned the JAYS d-jay ($140.00 CAD). I know they are good too. Or so I've read.

We can get our hands on the V-moda here in Toronto too. Any comments? Recommendations?

As for Shure...I can still find the e2c on the shelves. And they are selling for cheap. Only a little over $80.00 CAD at Future Shop. Last week they were $102.99. Other places asking $30.00 beyond that.
smily_headphones1.gif
Tempting. But I heard they fall out. As they are "curved" and not "in-canal" types which I prefer.

Which is why the Etymotics ER4 (pricey) and the ER6i ($199.99 CAD) seem attractive. Should have good fit and sound quality.

Don't want to pay more than $200.00 CAD as I've said.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Which is why the Etymotics ER4 (pricey) and the ER6i ($199.99 CAD) seem attractive. Should have good fit and sound quality.

Don't want to pay more than $200.00 CAD as I've said.

Do you have an eBay customer account? You can get the Etymotics ER-6i or Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio for circa US$70 from an American retailer (plus whatever cost of shipping to Canada).

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an eBay customer account? You can get the Etymotics ER-6i or Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio for circa US$70 from an American retailer (plus whatever cost of shipping to Canada).

Hiya SactoMan101,

Thanks but I don't wanna run the risk of getting nailed by Canadian Customs and have to pay import tax. Rather pick them up locally or in the US (the next time i'm down there). Maybe when I visit my friend in LA (California). For now I think I'll pickup something in the $80-140.00 CAD range locally (online or retrail).

What do you use with your iPod?

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

You're right. I just set my iTunes to Apple Lossless. How much more space would a track take? Approximately. Did you ever compare (to lets say a 128kbps track)?

Also, if you had to choose a pair of good entry-level quality earphones which would you choose. If you had to choose between the JAYS d-jay, Etymotic 6i, Shure SE210 and the Ultimate ear Super.Fi 3.

Thanks.

Easy way to relate about how much space you gain with MP3 vs lossless.

You can only fit 20 songs on a CD in lossless. You can fit damn near 300 in 128K format, obviously depending on how long the songs are.

Lossless eats space like nobodys business. One CD ripped lossless takes up 700MB-800MB, that's almost 1 gig for ONE RIPPED CD. It's the main reason you hear many people here wanting to upgrade the HD on thier iPods.

That said, most people (I would say 90%) can't hear the difference between lossless and 192k MP3 unless in a critical listening environment. So, in the case of an iPod, you probably won't be in a critical listening environment, or be doing critical listening when listening on your iPod. So save your space, and rip to 192kb...320kb if you wanna be "safe".....

I would up the ante up to SuperFi 5. It's that much better, IMO. Or get UM1's. But who am I to talk, I dove right into UM2s for my 1st IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back