Your Top 10 Musical Artists
Jul 9, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #32 of 38
Glenn Gould - Hearing him when I was 5 made me want to play piano. To this day, listening to his recordings is a spiritual experience for me. The man was from another world.

Bebo Valdes - Simply one of purest pianists and arrangers I can think of. Truly opened my eyes to the wonders of Cuban music.

Maceo Parker - The essence of funk. Mo' Roots is probably my favorite album of any genre.

Mark O'Connor - Amazing musician. I use a few of his recordings as my reference CDs.

Danny Gatton - It is a shame that more of the world didn't get a chance to witness his brilliance beofre he killed himself. Very sad premature loss to the world of music.

Jeff Beck - He made me want to play guitar... but that never worked out. Blow by Blow is probably my favorite rock instrumental recording.

Buddy Guy - The way I like to hear my blues. (Stone Crazy, Sweet Tea, Buudy Guy and Junior Wells Play the Blues are staples in my music rotation).

Jimi Hendrix - When he was on, he was pure, raw, brilliance.

Mark Knopfler - The man can do no wrong with his guitar. His tone is perfection.

Thelonious Monk - Opened my ears to the world of jazz piano when I was 13.

Quite a few more, but those are the first 10 that come to mind.

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #33 of 38
Here's more or less my "absolute top 10" ...

1. Tom waits / Leonard Cohen

3. Nick Cave

4. Lucinda williams

5. EELS (Mark Oliver Everett)

6. John Mellencamp / Marl Lanegan

8. Gillian Welch

9. Victoria Williams

10. XTC

Jul 10, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #35 of 38
Shostakovich

Prokofiev

Tchaikovsky

Stravinsky

Rimsky-Korsokov

Flaric

Durutti Column

Mike Oldfield

Jethro Tull

Philip Glass

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #36 of 38
heh... this list is very typical of me. it isn't a wide range of musical styles here, but they're all my influences.

1. Robert Smith (The Cure) - without his words, his songs, his music, i would never have been serious about listening to music.
2. Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) - i instantly fell in love with his bass playing, one of my main influences for picking up the bass guitar.
3. Simon Gallup (The Cure) - another main bass guitar influence... there's something that's so cool about Simon when he plays live.
4. Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) - one of the songwriters in this list whom i can easily relate to, a lot of his songs and lyrics can almost be biographical for me.
5. Andy McCluskey (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) - a bass player AND a frontman/lead singer...
6. Steve Queralt (Ride) - yeah... songwriters/singers/guitarists Mark and Andy get most of the attention, even Loz gets some because of his frantic drumming style, but for me bassist Steve is equally important in Ride.
7. Brett Anderson (Suede) - one of the most beautiful voices for me, and an amazing songwriter to boot. too bad his voice is a bit rough around the edges these days, but his songs are still beautiful.
8. Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) - sometimes i daydream about being a frontman in a band just like him...
9. James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers) - one of the most underrated singers in rock these days... i wish i have the range and intensity he has.
10. Phil Oakey (The Human League) - he's an underdog... he's not a great songwriter, he's not a great singer, hell... even the way he's so modest with himself he's not all too talented. but when everything works for him, he was the most lucky person fronting an internationally successful band. i can definitely relate to that.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #37 of 38
In no particular order:

Bill Evans
Keith Jarrett
John Coltrane
Thelonoius Monk
Miles Davis
Esbjörn Svensson
Stevie Wonder
Pink Floyd
Dvorak
Beethoven

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 38
Difficult, but here goes, in no order:

Cannonball Adderley
Tom Harrell (!!)
Eddie Daniels
Roy Hargrove
Dexter Gordon
Frank Rosolino
Gerry Mulligan
Mark Murphy
Sarah Vaughan
Frank Sinatra

... apologies to all piano players, Lee Morgan, Frank Zappa and Viktoria Tolstoy - I love you, too.
... no Miles, no Trane, great just not my faves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back