Your Thoughts on Top-Tier IEMs
Jun 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

KLS

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate to start a 'How you compare A to B' thread, but the more I search the more I get confused.

So I am 'begging' the owners of these top-tiers IEMs, such as IE8, W3, UM3X, SE530, X10, ER-4P etc, to give out their comments on IEMs which are currently in use, such as sound signature, characteristic (warm? cold? analytical?), frequency balance (highs, mids, lows, soundstage, instrument seperation), weak points, strength, and if possible comparisons between IEMs.

I am asking these because I think this might help out those who are new to high-end IEMs or potential buyers (like me), to get a clear outline of how do these IEMs sound like. Perhaps this would decrease the 'Help me choose between...' threads too.

I see there are several 'What you like and dislike about your headphones' threads in the Headphone Forum. Any yes there are some great reviews and comparisons of several IEMs done by certain Head-Fiers in this forum too, but...but for people like me who don't have an easy access to an audio shop to try out phones, what we can do is always lurking the forum hungry for impressions and reviews
tongue.gif

Any inputs are welcome
beyersmile.png

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 79
I was looking to upgrade from my Shure E5c's right before the Westone 3's were released. I didn't want to go as expensvie as the UE-11's, so I really only seriously considered the Westone 3's, which I ultimately purchased and love, and the Sennheiser IE8's. I read these threads extensively before I made my purchase. I'm really not proficient in explaining the nuances of sound. I know what I like and I have been studying this very useful thread. ( http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/ ) This is certainly not an exhaustive list of IEM discussion threads around Head-Fi that could be useful to you...hope this helps ("Headphone Addict's" posts are always well worth study when seeking comparisons between various headphones and related audio components...)

W3's
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...thread-386477/

W3's
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...thread-382767/

W3's | IE8's
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...ilemma-402167/

IE8's
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...thread-375547/

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 79
wow, thats some range of different IEMs and sound signatures you got there!!!
eek.gif

well
IE8

no comment, havent spent any time with them other than a quick listen to a friends pair. big bass, big soundstage, somewhat peaky highs with the wrong tips, terrible isolation with stock tips if talking IEMs, which IMO these arent, they're earbuds

W3

treble:
nice and I didnt get any sibilance (due in part to my custom tips) god extension and detail. with reasonable air

mids:
with stock foams (comply) these are just a touch recessed, but still good detail and texture. mids come forward and the whole SQ becomes more balanced with custom tips, which leads me to beleive that most issues with this IEWM are tip dependent. very efficient, but still gains some finesse with amping

Bass:
taught huge bass, with good bass texture and tonality, no midbass hump with UM56 or modded triflange and even with stock tips I didnt mind it as I listen to quite a bit of electronic music. these IEMs are awesome for electronica IMO.

Soundstage:
not massive, but not tiny either, think 2 rows back at the concert. layering is very good with the right tip and not congested. warning, black olives on W3 = congested boomy mess.
comfort, like all westone IEMs is awesome and without peer IMO

UE TF10

big soundstage, extended, but somewhat peaky/sibilant highs, deep bass, but quantity leaves a little to be desired IMO. sucked out mids add to the illusion of a deep and wide soundstage, but thats all it was to me an illusion and distant.
fit was just all wrong on the frankenstine earplugs for me. stock cable sucked and I ended up returning these for RMA and got SE530

responds nicely to amping though, but still not my cup of tea

SE530

highs:
I actually found that with UM56 and decent amping (I used pico when I had it and now use either Lisa III or D10) they have considerably more energy in the highs, with more power to burn. IMO anyone who says these dont improve with amping because they are such low impedance; either has hearing problems or there is something else amiss, like crap amping, source or interconnects. there is good detail in the highs, but it just takes a little bit of a back seat to the awesome mids

mids:
WOW!! articulate, thick, textured yet silky smooth, one of the best mids I have heard in an IEM and its pretty legendary for that. perhaps a little forward of natural, but i'm not complaining. great for rock and electronica.

Bass:
this is another area the SE530 improve considerably with amping and custom tips. good extension, not as good extension as TF10, IE8 or W3, but still respectable. Bass detail and quantity is good, with a fair amount of slam

soundstage:
a bit behind W3 and TF10, but still respectable. well defined; just maybe not as deep as those 2.

comfort:
very good. only just behind the westone IEMs for met

UM3X

My current favorite in all areas, not much to complain about at all really. I havent had them for long; only a week or so, but so far has eclipsed all other IEMs I have owned to date; taking the best aspects of all of them and combining them into a very attractive and comfortable package. Definitely the most Natural sounding and balanced IEM I have heard to date

Highs:
Razor sharp, but not at all peaky or fatiguing. I had them in for the majority of today and not once did I feel any sort of fatigue or discomfort. great air and sparkly detail; not forward or overemphasized, but certainly a team player. natural sounding

Mids:
while these are a tiny bit forward/warm of neutral, I do not find them overly so. I'm still not sure which mids I prefer out of these and SE530; in this area these 2 IEMs are quite similar, but I do not find them similar overall. great texture, musicality and natural tone. as I said in the UM3X thread, natural is a word that keeps on coming to mind when describing these IEMs; as is effortless

Bass:
Extended, tight, and accurate bass; but with good quantity and slam as well. best bass I have heard in an IEM so far. Not so much that it overwhelms the rest of the FR, but still quite present all the same. with a quarter turn of the Lisa III bass knob i'm in heaven. these IEMs respond to EQ very well, but I only call on the bass lord for some tunes that KICK.

Soundstage:
more intimate than the others I guess (as you would expect of a monitor), but not congested in the least. no one feature dominates these babies. I dont find it lacking in this area, maybe actually a little larger than SE530, but behind the other 2. The feeling of air and room for the performers more than makes up for it. what soundstage there is is incredibly well defined and consistent.

these are pretty unforgiving though; which is a key area that they differ from SE530, which is probably the most forgiving of the lot.

disclaimer:
all this is IMO, but I wil finish this by reminding you that I havent had the UM3X long yet and could be victim of my own personal FOTM. all the same these babies have impressed me enough in such a short period of time, that my JH13 are going to have some big shoes to fill. my feeling is that these are going to grow on me even more as well. my intention was to sell them when I got my ES3X, but now i've changed my mind to get JH13 (due to issues I wont go into here) I think i'll keep them as my universal for times I dont want or need my customs.

comfort is just like all westone IEMs; fantastic IMO

i've heard the ER4S, but was pretty underwhelmed, just not my thing I guess.

well there ya go; thats all the ones i've heard and I have owned all those I listed bar IE8. hope that was some help. not sure if this thread will be lost in the annals of HF history, but I gave it a shot., there really isnt a way to give a definitive grade to all those IEMs as we all have different ears; so if thats what you are after you are out of luck; chances are someone will come along in a second and give a differnt op9nion on something to what i've said.

good luck with that
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 79
IE8 don't leak sound, and although they are disastrous at isolation they still block 3+dbs,
much much more with mods that stuff complys underneath and reach deep into the ear.

If you read enough threads you'll find that you NEED to discover the right tip for ANY of the
high-tier IEMs. Tips and the seal they establish can make or break the sound an IEM suppose
to produce, not to mention the alterations they can make to the "signature" sound.

I can't comment, but all good IEMs will sound, good (duh...), it's the variations and trade-offs
that differ them apart (aside from fit, comfort, and isolation), the best have only a few
if no sacrifices made and they are the flagship BA customs (haven't see any Ear Monitor
threads around here) UE11Pro, ES3X, JH13Pro. Reference the ES3X appreciation thread
and aside from refit and craftsmanship the sound those who posted heard were impeccable,
HPA said it's on even footing with his HD800 (!!!
evil_smiley.gif
). For me I'll add IE8 up there, just
because right now I can't find any fault with the sound I'm hearing, pure enjoyment, this
is just IMO though. So will some put UM3X up there for its sound, YMMV.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 don't leak sound, and although they are disastrous at isolation they still block 3+dbs,
even more with mods that stuff complys underneath.

If you read enough threads you'll find that you NEED to discover the right tip for ANY of the
high-tier IEMs. Tips and the seal they establish can make or break the sound an IEM suppose
to produce, not to mention the alterations they can make to the "signature" sound.

I can't comment, but all good IEMs will sound, good (duh...), it's the variations and trade-offs
that differ them apart (aside from fit, comfort, and isolation), the best have only a few
if no sacrifices made and they are the flagship BA customs (haven't see any Ear Monitor
threads around here) UE11Pro, ES3X, JH13Pro. Reference the ES3X appreciation thread
and aside from refit and craftsmanship the sound those who posted heard were impeccable,
HPA said it's on even footing with his HD800 (!!!
evil_smiley.gif
). For me I'll add IE8 up there, just
because right now I can't find any fault with the sound I'm hearing, just enjoyment, this
is just IMO though. So will some put UM3X up there for its sound, YMMV.

errmmm, i'm not sure what the bolded text is for?? since i'm the only one that has actually written much as far as impressions and the different sound sigs, I must assume you are referring to me?? odd because you seem to have totally read your own words into it. I didnt say anything about leakage; only isolation and tip choice. if you read what I said you would see that I also mentioned tip choice for W3. 3db isolation is woeful; ER4 and most customs and well fitting IEMs are well into their 20's

there are several custom IEM comparison threads. not sure if you know how to search or you just havent come accross one while browsing?? you've been here all of a month or two, so that might explain it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 79
"terrible isolation with stock tips if talking IEMs, which IMO these arent, they're earbuds"
The difference between earbuds and IEMs :
tongue.gif
:

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 79
Quote:

"terrible isolation with stock tips if talking IEMs, which IMO these arent, they're earbuds"
The difference between earbuds and IEMs :
tongue.gif
:

huh?? if thats a question you really havent been here long

IEM = IN EAR monitor
earbuds sit just at the entrance to the earcanal like many stock buds, IE8, PK series some audiotechnica; the list goes on; it is actually a specific type of portable headphone. search HF you'll find plenty.

and if you are just being a smart-ass; since you missed the mark you can leave smart off
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 79
@qusp
Whew, I didn't think it's going to be this heated.

The quote you bolded in post #7 was to clear up your IMO about IE8, more precisely what's
quoted in post #8. It's unnecessary to those who read the IE8 appreciation thread but
for other who skimp to this thread I don't want them to miss out because they think
IE8 is a earbud-like IEM.

Now, may you lay off the personal harassment? I've read and posted in the JH13Pro and
ES3X appreciation threads, so no thank you for reminding me how to search. As for been
a "smart ass", my, I didn't know clearing up one's post meant that. No need to hammer
me for been here for only 2 month either. But let's leave it alone, we both have better
things to do than exchanging spicy words for nothing.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 79
Did those trusty ears also tell you that flagship customs are all games in town
tongue.gif

Wait till HPA do a review comparing all three and his HD800, that'll give some concrete
ideas.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Did those trusty ears also tell you that flagship customs are all games in town
tongue.gif

Wait till HPA do a review comparing all three and his HD800, that'll give some concrete
ideas.

They're trusty, because they have other flagship customs. I don't put much faith in HPA's reviews.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 79
I don't own any customs. I do own (or have owned) the following IEMs:

--Etymotics ER-4P
--UE Triple Fi 10 Pro
--Westone W3
--Westone UM3X
--Shure SE500PTH (the SE530 with the "push to hear" attachment)
--Phonak Audeo PFE

My favorite, by a substantial margin, is the UM3X. It's got more kick than either the Ety or the PFE. It sounds more natural than the SE530. It's a little more balanced than the W3. It had better ergonomics than the Triple Fi. These were all great IEMs but the UM3X just blew me away. For my tastes, it was the clear pick of the litter. It's also the reason I can't motivate myself to buy a custom-fit IEM. I'm sure the custom-fit is worth every penny, but my audio restlessness is more than satisfied by the UM3X. I've even thought of buying the Westone UM56 custom tips, which provide a level of customization at a very low price, but again I just can't bring myself to pay the extra dollar. I'm good.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 79
Just get some of the new UE 700's for only $230 and be done with it. They sound great. Probably better then many IEM's costing much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back