Your thoughts on these headphones for Metal
Dec 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MetalMax707

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm max and i am a noob. Anyways, i am wanting to buy some headphones to sorta start me off into being an audiophile. After reading lots and lots of reviews and articles on headphones the past week, i have come up with a short list of some that i am considering. I am wanting some advice on any other headphone suggestions for the Metal genre and/or your experiences with the ones that i listed when listening to Metal. I listen to Thrash Metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Metal, etc including bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Annihilator, Children of Bodom, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden to name a few. Any advice given on your experiences with cans with this type of genre would be helpful and my budget is around $200 but i could go higher if there is a viable difference.

I am currently thinking between the Grado SR80i, SR225i or SR325i or The Beyer Dynamic dt880/600 ohm. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hi guys, i'm max and i am a noob. Anyways, i am wanting to buy some headphones to sorta start me off into being an audiophile. After reading lots and lots of reviews and articles on headphones the past week, i have come up with a short list of some that i am considering. I am wanting some advice on any other headphone suggestions for the Metal genre and/or your experiences with the ones that i listed when listening to Metal. I listen to Thrash Metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Metal, etc including bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Annihilator, Children of Bodom, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden to name a few. Any advice given on your experiences with cans with this type of genre would be helpful and my budget is around $200 but i could go higher if there is a viable difference.

I am currently thinking between the Grado SR80i, SR225i or SR325i or The Beyer Dynamic dt880/600 ohm. Thanks.

I actually gave a listen to the SR80i and SR225i today at a local hi-fi shop (I've more thoroughly auditioned the SR225i and SR325i in the past), and I would recommend the 225 over the 80 for metal. Though it does great with softer electric guitar and with drums, the SR80i can't really get the passion of more distorted guitar right in my mind, and left my ears surprisingly fatigued. The SR225i, in contrast, sounded great with metal every time I've listened to it. It comes highly recommended.

However, considering all Grados are open cans, you cannot really use them anywhere outside the home. Do you understand that?

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
yes i know, i was never intending to use them outside of the house. Sweet thanks for the adivce of the 225i over the 80i. hopefully i can find a place where i can give them a listen.

Where are you located? Grado has a relatively good dealer network nestled in Hi-Fi shops all over. I'd suggest that you give both of them a thorough audition. I prefer the sound of the SR225i, but the SR80 feels much better on my head fit-wise.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I have all 3 Grados you mentioned, and the Beyer's cousin, the DT990 600ohm - go get the 225i. They serve as great starter-keeper cans, and deserve woodies in the future. That's not to say that the 80is or the 325is don't, they do too - it's just a preference thing. I mainly listen to what you do to as well. 
beerchug.gif

And to the poster above, and to anyone else who might post after, please, please, PLEASE.. Do not recommend something you haven't heard, regardless of whoever's ears they pleased.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
And to the poster above, and to anyone else who might post after, please, please, PLEASE.. Do not recommend something you haven't heard, regardless of whoever's ears they pleased.

Well, I  have the srh940, but I  do not listen to metal, and I've never listened to grados too.
My guess is the srh940 could be good for metal, because they are great with electric guitar especially (but accoustic too).

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I have all 3 Grados you mentioned, and the Beyer's cousin, the DT990 600ohm

You seem like quite the accomplished lurker, sir. I'm a sucker for Grados and have listened 10+ hours to every model of theirs but the RS1 and GS1000i, much to the ire of my local headphone store. The SR series is an amazing value for your money.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the advice. It seems that the SR225i are the headphones to get for my taste, sound and value. I have more more question. Even though the Grados have a low resistance and do not require an amp to properly drive them, many have said that an amp helps. any thoughts on the difference in sound with an amp on the sr225i or other grados?

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 11
JDSLabs Cmoys and the PA2v2 play very nicely with Grados, if you don't want to spend a ton on an amp. I find there's a pretty considerable difference between amped and unamped. Your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back