Your thoughts on Sennheiser HD555 for female vocals & jazz ?
Jul 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thermonuclear

Head-Fier
In my case, walloping hip hop bass is of 0% importance , think of acoustic guitars strumming, mary black singing and a guy playing double bass. Also think of the warm tones from an archtop jazz guitar coming from a tube fender twin reverb amp , thats what is important to me.

In the sennheiser audiophile range , how well suited to the above do you think that the 555`s would be ? Im a big fan of my HD485`s , would there be a significant improvement with the 555`s or so little id be throwing away good money ?

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case, walloping hip hop bass is of 0% importance , think of acoustic guitars strumming, mary black singing and a guy playing double bass. Also think of the warm tones from an archtop jazz guitar coming from a tube fender twin reverb amp , thats what is important to me.

In the sennheiser audiophile range , how well suited to the above do you think that the 555`s would be ? Im a big fan of my HD485`s , would there be a significant improvement with the 555`s or so little id be throwing away good money ?

Sounds like they'd suit you well. If you get them you should do the mod to make them the same as 595s. You basically remove a piece of stick on foam from the grill behind the driver, did it for a friend and it's really easy.

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like they'd suit you well. If you get them you should do the mod to make them the same as 595s. You basically remove a piece of stick on foam from the grill behind the driver, did it for a friend and it's really easy.

but benefits (if any) over and above the 485`s ?

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but benefits (if any) over and above the 485`s ?

I've never heard the 485s, but I imagine they'd be a big step up in terms of detail, soundstage and resolution. I can tell you they sound pretty damn nice for Jazz and female vocals for me. If you can, go and audition a pair somewhere to see whether or not they are the step up you're looking for.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I wouldn't say the 555 sound better than the HD485, IMO it's rather vice versa. Even the 595 isn't a prominent step up.

Keep your 485, save some money and get something reasonable later (e.g. HD600)

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 9
The HD555 would be nice for those purposes, decent sound for the money even if a little boring. Maybe the 595mod improves that. Haven't heard the HD485 myself, but Nickchen's advice is probably a good one, the HD600/650 is a good step up from the HD555 and worth saving for.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD555 would be nice for those purposes, decent sound for the money even if a little boring. Maybe the 595mod improves that. Haven't heard the HD485 myself, but Nickchen's advice is probably a good one, the HD600/650 is a good step up from the HD555 and worth saving for.

would my obh-11 be comfortable with 600 series sennheisers ?

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Guess so. The 5% better bass and soundscape a big balls amp would provide is certainly not what you're up to.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 9
I specifically remember my HD555s excelling at acoustic guitar and vocals in general. Should be a good choice if thats what you want.

Can't compare to the 485's. If I were you I'd demo them in store if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back