Your thoughts on Headfive vs. the usual suspects (~250-400 amps)
Jun 29, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm interested in a match with the Micro Amp "DM" 2006.

Jun 29, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm especially curious about how it stacks against the Gilmore Lite.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 7
I can offer the following:

1. I prefer the Headfive to the Xin SuperMacro3 V6. Although it's a portable amp, it's $100 more than the H5. The H5 has better detail, is more transparent, and has a generally warmer sound. But the differences are not dramatic, and this does not make the Xin a "bad" amp by any means -- I just ordered the new SM4! But the H5 is very strong in it's price range.

2. I very briefly compared the Rega Ear to the H5 and found the H5 to be superior in every way. I admit I never really liked the EAR - I found it dull, lifeless, and sterile. I gave the EAR away some time ago to a co-worker -- poor person.

3. The H5 is a better match for some headphones in some ways than the more expensive Meier Aria. The Aria has a built in DAC of course, and is a better match for my Beyer headphones. But for my HD595's I preferred the H5.

The H5 is seriously outclassed by the Meier HA-2 mkII/SE, but it's $900.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
2. I very briefly compared the Rega Ear to the H5 and found the H5 to be superior in every way. I admit I never really liked the EAR - I found it dull, lifeless, and sterile. I gave the EAR away some time ago to a co-worker -- poor person.

I agree 100%. I had a Rega Ear before my Headfive and the Headfive has just demolished the Ear it terms of musicality and system synergy. I have since sold the Ear for just $50 less than the price of a new Headfive, and $25 of that goes to Headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back