Your Thoughts And Recommendation Needed
Sep 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

P01N7

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm new to hear (I bet you haven't heard that before) so please excuse some of my ignorance.

I'm in a bit of a choice dilemma and hopefully I'll be able to explain this clusterfu*... 

My B&W P5's have gone dodgy in the left ear cup, along with my gaming headset and thus I'm in the market for new gear.

P5's:

- They're out of warranty model 1's so they'll need repairing - est £55min.

Gaming 

- I've been given a €100 voucher to spend with the company - Steelseries

I'm now in the position where I could either go for another specific gaming headset (Steelseries Siberia 840 wireless) or go with a proper audiophile headset and a separate mic. 
The dilemma is, I hear the Steelseries headset's microphone is poor which put's me off greatly and in needing to replace my P5 the new P7 wireless are extremely tempting. 

Going with either option below, the spend works out to basically the same:

- Would you go for a gaming specific headset and keep the p5's after repairing?

- Would you go for the P7's with a separate mic, and sell the p5's after repairing? 

There are so many pro's and con's for either and I'm hoping your choices would help me make a choice?

Thank you in advance for anyone's input!

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi mate, Fidelio X2's are on sale now in the UK and would do a great job of both gaming and music for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-00-Fidelio-Headphone-Black/dp/B00MRUPSHQ

Add a V-Moda mic (https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK) and you're in business.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 5
No brain'er. You are asking Head-Fi, after all. :wink:

Get a separate mic and choose your headphones between:

If you need closed back:
B&W P7
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear
Oppo PM-3
Meze 99 Classic

If you want open back:
Sennheiser HD600 + Audioengine D1 (for amping)
Fidelio X2 + Schiit Magni 2 & Modi 2 (since x2 is cheaper, afford better DAC & Amp)

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey guys, thank you for your replies.

I should've said, these will be used on the Xbox, so directly into the controllers 3.5mm port, unfortunately it'll mean no Dac and Amp.

I think realistically I should alter my search a bit.

- The type of cans where you can just close your eyes and immerse yourself in the music and or game audio.
- Music from MacBook Pro - mostly.
- Game audio through Xbox - controller most likely
- Suitable for travel/commuting - within reason.
- Max of £320 (to cover new wireless P7 option)
- Closed back probably most appropriate for the option to use when travelling/commuting/flying.

Thank you again everyone for your input.
I like the look of the x2's but unfortunately the open back wouldn't be suitable.

The Meze 99's look beautiful...!
Oppo pm-3, seem smart, I need to look into them a bit more I think!

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
I would put the Momentum 2.0 on the top of your list, just because it's SO easy to drive. And also very comfortable and durable, and excellent sound.

The Meze 99 Classic and Oppo PM -3 should work out of the gamepad, but they take a bit more power. Not much, but a bit. Should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back