Your suggestions about Utopia / Elear
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #16 of 67
I haven't heard the Elear pads on the Utopia but I read that a significant amount of the tuning is due to the pads. I'd like a replacement ear pad that results in heavier bass. I would like something less neutral/reference and more fun. Since I have a couple 4 pin XLR capable amps it would have been nice to have a balanced cable option included.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 67
  I haven't heard the Elear pads on the Utopia but I read that a significant amount of the tuning is due to the pads. I'd like a replacement ear pad that results in heavier bass. I would like something less neutral/reference and more fun. Since I have a couple 4 pin XLR capable amps it would have been nice to have a balanced cable option included.

I think developing some new pads that give the Utopia a bit of a bass boost would be cool as well. I know this is already possible with Elear, but since they were not specifically designed to use with the Utopia, there would obviously be some unintended downsides to that. Since you guys are very innovate, I'm sure you could come up with a custom pad that boosts the bass while still keeping that Utopia magic in place 
smily_headphones1.gif

Even as is, the Utopia is just great, but it would be a pretty cool option to have some different pad options to suit your tastes. Similar to how a lot of headphones these days come with "tuning kits" to change the sound in a certain way.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 67
I forgot to add this before. A carrying case would be a nice accessory for the headphones. Also, lamb skin leather pads for the Elear, though i'm sure it would change the sound characteristics.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 67
Please make an economical, light, short 1/8" cable for portable use. The current stock cable is atrociously heavy and overbuilt. For the price of the headphones they should come with many cables standard.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 67
I have purchased an Elear, I love it, it lives up to the hype. It will replace my HD-700 and HE-400i. I will miss the comfort and light wight of the HD-700. I have one concern: the padding on the band doesn't seem to be replaceable. It will go flat in a few years. Can you please comment on your plan on servicing that part?

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 67
lower the price of utopia to 3000 usd. 
Damn hifi companies trying to markup the headphone word like the speaker world.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 67
Mmm.......and the top suggestion for improvement: by my count, 12 out of 23 responders have pointed to the stock headphone cable as problematic. No surprise. Focal can easily make this happen.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 67
There will come a time (one day) and no I'm not joking, where a person would be able to, and should be able to, "tune" their headphones.

It would be tricky, because in headphone design moving parts are a bit counter to a desirable design, however, in a world of super precise engineering and 3D printing, to have a rotary dial built into the outside bell of the earcups, could make changes based upon the listener's preference. We're not talking gimmick here. Say, you turn the dial to one setting and the diaphrams now revolves (into a locked position) where they are facing the front of the listener's head, at an angle, inside. Another setting might rotate the diaphragm toward the back of the head and ears.

The fact is, no headphone is perfect. There will always be a certain bias or flavor that goes into designing a headphone, just as no listener will find no fault in their headphone purchase. I mean, look around and people are modding their 4k cans with stuff they get from the hobby store.

Therefore, should a headphone (or speakers for that matter) be totally static in its approach? I don't think so.

I'm other high end gear we can switch tubes, power cords, change filter settings, add different power supplies, change the phase of the DAC, etc. But with cans, the most you can do is change the cable, or make a run to a hobby store.

So, in closing, subtle mechanical changes within headphones -customisable - would allow the user a more immersive experience, without feeling the need to mod or used EQ, which, in turn would make for a more "perfect" presentation. At least when putting on a pair of cans it would now fall more in line with other audiophile products, that modification to dealer specs is now allowable so that you may further tweak your sound as needed.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #26 of 67
Earpads with a bit more room inside ... i think i saw that the inner dimensions of the Utopia pads is 60mm high by 50mm wide.
Something closer to 70mm high by 55 mm wide would be great (this would be closer to the internal diameter of the hd800 i think).

Split the 4m headphone cable into 2 cables;
2m xlr cable
And
2m single ended cable

Other than that, the Utopia looks perfect.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 67
Hi, I would like 4 things on my wishlist to be made available for my Elears. A shorter 1.5 .m cable, Replacement Utopia pads, A dedicated Focal headphone stand and finally a travel case with a handle. Great job on the headphone by the way :thumbsup::blush:

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #28 of 67
I want the following:
1- 4 pin XLR cable.
2- Travel case.
3- Extra Elear pads to be included with the Utopia. 

I am confused! Are you planing to provide the current owners with extra free of charge accessories? 

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #29 of 67
The box that came with Utopia headphone are nicely made...better still will be to provide a waterproof travel case (similar to what Audeze are providing) and some common packaging, which will be thrown away anyway

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #30 of 67
  The box that came with Utopia headphone are nicely made...better still will be to provide a waterproof travel case (similar to what Audeze are providing) and some common packaging, which will be thrown away anyway

I second the travel case! One of the local guys made his own - fantastic idea!

While the case provided with the Utopia will generally keep it safe, I've seen cases from other manufacturers become damaged (scratched leather, etc.). I've been using the case to protect my headphone, and additionally wrapping the case inside its own protective travel bag. A case please - yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back