Your source is the most important part!
Nov 12, 2003 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
A few days ago I found a Meridian 508.20 on Audiogon and decided to buy it on a whim. I just received the Meridian today and as I was listening something occured to me. I know I'm not the first to say it, but this is the first time it has seemed like an absolute truth. Your source is the most important part of your system. I think that people are so caught up in the wave of jumping from headphone to headphone (or speaker to speaker) that they choose to ignore the source. This cannot be done! You can get incredible sound from a (relatively) inexpensive pair of headphones as long as you have a good source to back it up.

My system now consists of the Meridian 508.20 going through Magwire Ultra cables to an Emmeline HR-2 amplifier and into Grado sr60 headphones. Yes, Grado sr60's! I have been using the sr60's as computer headphones before now, but as they're the only headphones I own until my HD650's arrive from Dr. Meier they've been moved to my main system. This sounds incredible! Before the Meridian I had been using a modified Music Hall MMF CD-25 CD player. In my opinion the Music Hall represents an amazing value. It offers great sound for <$1000. Before the Music Hall I had been using a generic Technics CD player. Every time I've upgraded my source the sound quality has increased far more relative to anything else I've upgraded. Those of you using portable CD players or a low-end CD changer with expensive headphones (and they don't even have to be that expensive; I'm using Grado sr60's!) are really missing out. Headphones may add their certain flavours, but the source is where it all comes from.

I suppose the message I'm trying to get across in my post is that those of you who are unsatisfied with the sound you're hearing and are using a source not up to the quality of your headphones: try a new source! You'll be amazed at the difference. There is no point in spending lots of money if you're not going to back it up with a good CD player or turntable. The gains you achieve by moving up on the headphone/speaker rank are minimal in comparison with the changes you'll get from a better source. You don't need a million dollar source, either. As I said before, the Music Hall MMF CD-25 is a (relatively) inexpensive CD player that sounds great.

Well, that's my post. Perhaps it was written out of excitement, but I think the message is true. Thanks for reading.
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 36
Nice choice Hajime. I totally agree with you. To create a balanced system you need to spend a significant percentage on your source. Just wait until you plug in your HD-650's. I am soon to drop some money on a nice source too
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 36
Actually, I think the source and output (headphones) are equally important. Amps are third, power and cables come last.
I think a "balanced system" would have about half of its budget allocated towards the source.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 36
I think a big part of it is changes to speakers/headphones and to a degree amps are more easily apparent right away but aren't necessarily better or worse, just different. Changing to a better source seems more subtle right off the bat but in the long run can have a bigger impact.

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 36
Canman,
I can't wait till I hear the HD650's.
biggrin.gif

Kyrie,

Hello there. I think that the headphones are important in that you have to find something you like. After you find something you like then the source plays a much more important role.
600smile.gif

Kieran,

I'm guilty of the same thing. I've actually been very unfair to some of the things I've tried because I didn't give it time to evaluate it properly.

Elnero,

I think that while you may notice a change, you're really not getting the most out of your components.

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 36
Chris,

My, my, my, how far you've come in such a short amount of time. You've already upgraded and changed everything in your system several times in just the last two months. Congrats on finding out some very important lessons in head-fi-dom. At least they won't cost you a fortune in the process. Now, kick back and enjoy what you have and get off the merry-go-round of upgrades. The ride is only enjoyable for short periods of time, then you get dizzy and puke all over yourself.
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 36
Doug,

I'll still have plenty of time to upgrade cables (and maybe headphones if the HD650's aren't what I think they'll be). The Meridian 508.20 and Emmeline HR-2 are staying perminantly.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 36
Agreed.

The source is the ultimate deciding factor in how well your system sounds.

Also, I really like the sound of the meridian players, I heard the 507.20 and 588.24; both excellent CD players.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
Elnero,

I think that while you may notice a change, you're really not getting the most out of your components.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 36
Elnero,

I'm sorry if my reply wasn't clear. I meant to say that while there may be a change when you're switching speakers or headphones, you're really not getting the most out of any of them unless you back them with a good source.

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 36
Agreed, that's kind of what I was saying in a roundabout kind of way. I've always been from the crap in, crap out camp but haven't really lived what I preach. I'm hoping to change that in the near future though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 36
Glad to hear you like the CD-25. I'm looking into this source myself. Was yours hotrodded or just stock?

--Chris

Nov 13, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 36
Nice thread, bro. I've been preaching source here for going on two years. Certainly not trying to take credit, but by God it's good to hear the choir risin' for the refrain! Your source is the way you measure recordings. Your source is what the rest of your system gets to work with. Your source is where you can be the most cost effective.

I used to think that your headphones/speakers were where you subjectively totally "showed your love", and I will still say that is true as far as it goes. With the differences in modern sources, I would say that "showing your love" was just as true there. And the source is where it all starts.

Nov 13, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 36
Elnero,

Go for it, and post some impressions when you decide on which source you're going to go for.
biggrin.gif

Hempcamp,

My CD-25 was modified. This is sort of a plug, but if you're interested I'm selling it. Check here.

Old Pa,

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back