Your Reference CD's (Classical)
Jan 16, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HVK

100+ Head-Fier
What classical CD's do you use to test audio equipment? I have around 500 but I always come back to 3:

Tchaikovsky's String Serenade (BPO, Karajan)
Vivaldi's 4 Seasons (Drottingham Baroque Ensemble)
Handel's Water Music/Fireworks (Niquet, Le Concert Spirituel)

If you have some sonic greats, please let me know as I am currently testing various cable and sources. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HVK
I have around 500 but I always come back to 3:

Dude, I'll take your word for it!

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 24
I don't have 500 classical CDs yet (one can dream...), but a least a few (a long with some jazz and metal) normally goes with me to demos:

*Holst, the Planets (Zubin Meta, LA philhamonic Orchestra)
*Bach cello suits 1-6, Paolo Beschi (A stunning Winter & Winter recording. One of my favourite records...)

/Q

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 24
Most Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo recordings are of reference quality, albeit with a "golden age" sound. Beyond that:

1. Shostakovich 7th - Bernstein CSO;
2. Der Ring des Nibelungen - Solti VPO (any of the four operas will fit the bill);
3. Mahler # 2 - VPO Kaplan.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 24
Stravinsky: The Firebird & Borodin: Overture and Polovetsian Dances (Robert Shaw / Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - Telarc CD-80039): The Borodin has great dynamics - from hauntingly beautiful vocal arrangements to ground-shaking orchestral climaxes. A real workout for any system.

Pachelbel: Canon - 2 suites for strings & Fasch: Concerto For Trumpet (Maurice Andre / Orchestre de Chambre Jean-Francois Paillard - Erato 4509-987475-2): In addition to being (IMO) the absolute hands-down finest arraignment of the classic Canon in D Major, the textures are absolutely amazing. A Canon as it should be played!

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamont
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8 (Haitink, Concertgebouw)

A super recording by one of my favourite composers! Great choice.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 24
I've been using Mahler's 3rd Symphony on DG, conducted by Bernstein, and Arvo Pärt's 3rd Symphony on BIS, Neeme Jarvi. I'm looking to replace the Mahler with something else--although the performance is outstanding, the sonics are merely very good--not superb--so I'll look into some of the reco's you guys are making.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 24
For reference, I like using the Berlioz Requiem, with James Levine and Luciano Pavarotti. I don't know if it's still available, but because of the huge dynamic range from pppp to ffff, it is a very handy cd to listen to. I also like using recording of Mozart's Divertimento K563 with YoYo Ma, Gideon Kramer and Kim Kashkashian. After that, I usually use some well made rock or country albums that give good sound, such as Beck's Sea Change or Willie Nelson's Across the Borderline. As long as I am very familiar with the music, I can usually tell what's happening wrt the speakers or headphones, and sometimes "quiet" music gets the job done better.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 24
Don't know about classical reference discs in general, but I have a recording of the Reicha Clarinet Quintet in B Flat Major, Op. 89; Horn Quintet Op. 106, an old Supraphon issue that I use as a benchmark. It's one of those chamber recordings that place the instruments so precisely you can almost reach out and touch them. Like Bunnyears I like the Berlioz Requiem for testing as well, only I use the Shaw/Telarc performanc. Finally, a Naxos recording of the Berwald Duos for piano.

BW

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Finally, a Naxos recording of the Berwald Duos for piano.

That is an excellent CD, the smaller chamber works are nice for referncing the imaging of a headphone/source/amp.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 24
Brahms Piano Concertos performed by Gilels and conducted by Jochum. I use it to make sure that the emotion of the performance is not lost on whatever gear I'm demo-ing.

Mozart Piano Concerto #20 performed by Brendel, conducted by Mackerras - the best disk I have for imaging of a large group of musicians. On the right equipment you can hear where every single musician is at, clearly defined in space.

Bach Cello Suites performed by Fournier. Again use it for making sure emotion is not lost. It is also great for listening to how well the equipment transitions from the bass ranges up to the midrange, that is usually a problem area for a lot of equipment.

Mahler Symphony #2 conducted by Klemperer - used to judge dynamic swings and ability to reproduce full orchestral power.

Beethoven "Kreutzer" violin Sonata performed by Perlman and Ashkenazy - used to judge microdynamics, speed, and ability to follow instrumental interplay.

Beethoven "Razumovsky" String Quartet #1 performed by the Emerson Quartet. Used mainly to judge ability to sort out and clearly present multiple instrumental lines and interplay.

It's been a while since I counted, but I'm pretty sure my classical collection is around 3000 or so.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
It's been a while since I counted, but I'm pretty sure my classical collection is around 3000 or so.

Building a new wing on the house soon?
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Yes Haitink/London and Gergiev/Phillips are demonstration class CD sound for Shostakovich symphonies.

Off the top of my head finest CD sound quality I have heard for classical symphony would be Rattle/EMI Mahler 3, almost as fine is Salonen/Sony M3 and Litton/Delos M2

Of couse smaller group or chamber works will have best absolute sound because of small intimate setting easier to record in detail vs large full size orchestra

For testing audio gear/cables I paradoxically use average rock recordings I know very well to really test how they handle less than ideal music. Classical is so well recorded it doesn't easily expose limitations of gear being tested.

Tyson.........just keeps all those CDs in room next to his other room with scotch collection/inventory
k1000smile.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Have you heard Slatkin's on RCA? I have to say, it's pretty darn good too. I have the Haitink on vinyl.. always pull that out when I get a chance to hook up some new speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back