Your reaction to first time using audiophile gear.
Nov 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #16 of 32
My first reaction ? Where did all that extra sound come from ? 
blink.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #17 of 32
But why BA drivers only? The better dynamics IEMs sound great as well, like the RE272, IE8, MTPC etc. just curious? 

Quote:
Went from Bose On-Ears to Monster Turbines. Suddenly, a wild soundstage appears! Radiohead was on all sides of my head, i felt kind of molested afterwards. Unfortunately, the turbines were built with such crap quality control standards that I'm about to toss mine in the trashcan after only 2 months of having them for actual listening. The entire rest of the time was spent sending it to warranty repair and waiting for them to send me another set for 3 months at a time.
It would also be great if I didnt have to reinsert them every 2 minutes to combat driver flex issues with their crappy product.
Lessons learned:
Upgrade full size headphones first
Custom IEM's only
Balanced Armature only. 3 to be safe, more if possible.
Sublesson learned in attempt to follow up lessons learned:
Upgrading full size headphones costs HOW MUCH?!
Dieting is easy when your food money goes towards headphone savings

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 32
But why BA drivers only? The better dynamics IEMs sound great as well, like the RE272, IE8, MTPC etc. just curious? 

The monster turbines have a dynamic driver, as do my meelec m11's. Both have driver flex issues. On the m11 its a simple pop and then they normalize themselves. On the monster turbine they just stay flexed and sound stops coming out.

Other dynamic driver headphones are great and all but at my current price range, the M11 is all i'll stand. Next in my upgrade map is around 300-500 dollar pair of IEM's, and I was hoping for customs. If i'm spending that kind of money, I'll definately be going triple BA route, if not quad. Those will have the bass signature I'm looking for along with an acceptable sound stage and clarity/balance between bass and mids/highs.

The driver flex thing has turned me off of high quality dynamic IEM's forever though.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #22 of 32
My first set of quality headphones were the Sony MDR-V700 -- a DJ headphone that my girlfriend at the time got me for Christmas. Her co-worker had a pair, and when she demo'd it, she decided I needed a pair as well. I had come from a long series of cheap ear buds that were included with various music players. Actually, the ones that were included with the first Gameboy were with me far longer than the Gameboy was. So, switching to full-size headphones, I couldn't believe how *big* the sound was.  My first impressions were "holy crap, so much bass".

I heard bass notes and textures that my previous tiny earbud drivers just couldn't translate. I specifically remember hearing "Night Prowler" by Living Legends for the first time on them, and all this new information in the low frequencies was like hearing a new song. I also remember dead prez's "Hip Hop" was a demo track I always put on when letting someone demo them. 

I loved those things and wore them most of my waking hours. They were my best friends on my walks to class, my trips on the bus, my study companion in the library, and dorm room listening sessions. 

The hinge on them finally cracked a couple of years ago, at which point I replaced it with an MDR-V6. Then, stumbled upon this site on February of this year and that's all she wrote....

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #23 of 32
My first reaction was actually pretty disappointing. At the time I really had no clue what live sound actually sounded like, so I was expecting something otherworldly, as in completely different sound. I was definitely chasing the dragon in the beginning of my journey. Looking back, I guess I expected them to sound like those EAX features on Creative Labs sound cards.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #24 of 32
My first experience was with SR60i almost 2 years ago.  They sounded great but I was not overwhelmed. In hindsight, I was listening to bad bit rate source files.

I upgraded recently and the first time I listened with SR225i though a FiiO E7, I had goosebumps all over.

Quote:
Went from Bose On-Ears to Monster Turbines. Suddenly, a wild soundstage appears! Radiohead was on all sides of my head, i felt kind of molested afterwards. Unfortunately, the turbines were built with such crap quality control standards that I'm about to toss mine in the trashcan after only 2 months of having them for actual listening. The entire rest of the time was spent sending it to warranty repair and waiting for them to send me another set for 3 months at a time.

It took 3 months for Monster to send a replacement? Damn! I had problems with my Turbines after 11 months of careful handling (I knew the cord was extremely flimsy). I sent them to Monster a few weeks back. Guess I have a long wait ahead of me.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 32
Did the EAX feature add like, a world of difference?

Quote:
My first reaction was actually pretty disappointing. At the time I really had no clue what live sound actually sounded like, so I was expecting something otherworldly, as in completely different sound. I was definitely chasing the dragon in the beginning of my journey. Looking back, I guess I expected them to sound like those EAX features on Creative Labs sound cards.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 32
My first time.....I remember impulsively picking up a pair of the then current line of Sure IEMs, the "EC" line.  I picked up the EC4 just as they were being d/c so I got a good deal on them.  I was impressed with the sound and absolutely loved the isolation.  But, I did not have my first "wow" until listening to higher power dedicated amps years later. (Think it was the Woo Audio WA5. I actually said "wow" out loud)

I can't remember what post I was reading earlier today on head-fi, but there was some discussion about how few times you really have that "wow" with high-end gear, with the exception of the disappointed "wow" when you look at the price of something new!  Ha!

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
Did the EAX feature add like, a world of difference?

Depends on which form of EAX we're talking about.

-There's the global room presets that add reverb and chorus effects to every sound that plays on the system, in case you like your music sounding like it's in a hallway. Most of us just like to leave those off.

-Older games had those presets mapped on-the-fly in their environments, along with occlusion effects for when the direct path between your location and the source is obstructed, but the sound can still reflect around. This is the EAX I care about, and unfortunately, it's the one thing that keeps me bound to Creative-based hardware more than anything, because running games with EAX support without EAX is not being true to what the developer intended the game to sound like. (And I still play my fair share of older games that use it, even preferring them to much of what's out today. I'd even go as far to say that they had better sound engines most of the time.)

I just wanted to get this out of the way before people get confused.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #28 of 32
Grado SR-60: Where the hell is the bass, I thought these things we're supposed to be the best headphones in the world? (Literally says it on the box)

Here I am sitting next to a stack of the damn things haha

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #30 of 32
Listening to lossless files on my PS3 with my Beyer DT 990 Pro through the Fiio E7/E9 the main thing I hear is clarity boarders on insanity! And the same applies to my very first pair of headphones that weren't bought with loose pocket change.

Ironically the thing that got me in to audiophilia was that I purchased a really cheap set of headphones from the supermarket, and they literally didn't last 2 hours normal usage before the plastic headband completely snapped in two. From that day on I swore I wouldn't go the cheapo route on anything ever again - especially headphones. And it was the best choice I ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back