Your portable player and portable amp...
Jan 19, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Lsportline43

500+ Head-Fier
Can those of you with portable players and amps or amps/dacs list your inventory? I am interested in upgrading my portable rig one day and just want to get an idea.

-List your player and amp or amp/dac.

-How you hook up your amp or amp/dac. (ex. through line out or headphone out)

-The headphones/IEMs that you use.

-How portable is it really?

-Also list and comments that you have about your setup.

I would like to be able to drive my UM2s and be able to drive full size headphones in the future. (Ex. Sennheiser HD 6xx, AKG K701)

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 38
My player is the iAudio X5L 30Gb. In a zcover case.

Had a line-out cable made for me by a helpful member of the iaudiophile.net site that plugs into the port at the bottom and leads to a mini jack.

This plugs into a PA2V2.

Into this I plug either my KSC75 or my E2c when I'm off out of the house. If I'm at home and listening portable (might be just walking round the house or listening in bed or doing some work at the table) then I plug my MS1 or my HD555 into it too.

I find it quite easily portable. I use the belt clip on the zcover which attaches the player to my jeans and the PA2V2 then sits in my pocket (at the top) so that I'm able to get easy access to the volume control.

That's my rig anyway.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 38
Mine is a 4G ipod together with Xin supermini-III. No case for ipod since there's no point protecting something that's already stratched, but I do use it carefully to avoid any further scratches, especially to the screen. The supermini is connected to the lineout via Sik ram din. If you tape the supermini behind Ipod it is barely visible and doesn't add much weight either. There's no extra cable since the Sik ends in a male mini connector. I can carry the whole package in the pouch that comes with Koss-KSC35. Sometimes if I need frequent access to the clickwheel, I'll just hold the ipod and let the supermini hang in there. It's a minimal but effective setup, served me well in a 12-hr flight last week.

I usually use ER-4p on the go if I need to block the noise, KSC-35 if it's quiet. At home I use K501 once in a while.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 38
We'll I'm in between setups.

OLD
Rio Karma with v3 Mindknob
Shure e2
No amp
Great synergy; sounded down right amazing with a little EQ... I was very happy and regret ever selling the Karma. Now I have invested 4x the money trying to accomplish the same level of satisfaction.

FUTURE
iPod
Turbodock II lineout
PA2V2 or Go-Vibe v3
Shure e4g

I have most of these items coming but none of them have made it here yet...

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 38
My present portable rig consists of:

Source: Creative Labs Zen Micro MP3 player (5-gig)

Portable Amps: PA2V2, Shellbrook Labs Mini Head, and Mini Head Signature

Connecting mini-mini interconnect cables: RnB Audio Diamond Reference, (and a couple of other cheap cables from various mass-market electronics stores)

Headphones: Grado SR 125's, Koss Porta Pro, Sony MDR-W20 (I also had Shure E5-c's, but sold them in favour of the Grado's)

The sound of all this, still blows me away. I still can't believe that a small portable setup like this can produce such huge, stunning sound.

I usually use my stuff in one of two places: at home, while on my comp; or in my car. I use a simple well-padded backpack to carry at all, and have everything inside wrapped in small towels. From there, it usually just sits on the seat of my car, for easy access when I'm travelling.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 38
I have an ipod 5G through a pocket dock/line out through zin superdual (thanks to Touring1) to Shure e4/ety 4s.

I think it sounds great. The amp is not a drastic difference for the Shures (definitely much better, but in a subtle way), but makes a big difference wiht the etys. The amp is real small so the setup is very portable--the biggest annoyance being how far the pocket dock sticks out of the bottom of the ipod.

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 38
Zen Micro Black 5GB

CMoy headphone amp, basic model, self built (thanks tangent!)

Koss portaPros.

biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 38
MP3: Creative Zen Micro 5GB, via headphone out into

Amp: SuperMacro3v.6

Connecting the two: 6" Cardas cable from http://www.headphone.com

'Phones: Ety ER-4P/S with custom earmolds.
etysmile.gif

It all fits into a $15 Caselogic neoprene case from Target. Totally portable. Sounds unbelievable.

fullsetup.jpg

-Erik

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 38
You can see in my sig what my portable setup looks like. I use different combinations of amps and headphones depending on the situation (stationary, on the go, etc..). When using an amp, I use line-out exclusively.

I carry the DAP, amp, and headphone in the iPod Gear Pouch, so it's very portable and easy to carry. If I don't want to carry the pouch, then I put the DAP and amp in my pocket.

As for an external DAC, I'm unaware of a truly portable DAC. There are transportable ones like the Micro DAC, but I wouldn't want to carry something that big around like I would do with a portable amp.

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
Had a line-out cable made for me by a helpful member of the iaudiophile.net site that plugs into the port at the bottom and leads to a mini jack.

Can you clarify this for me? Are you using the subpack with the line out on the X5? Any pics?

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 38
socrates63, what do you like using most with your iRiver iHP-140? Do you use it with a DAC and amp or just a portable amp? I just bought an iRiver iHP-120 off of eBay. I want to know what iHP-1xx portable setup sounds best.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Can you clarify this for me? Are you using the subpack with the line out on the X5? Any pics?

I'm not using the subpack but a something that clips directly into the subpack and leads to a mini jack. It's like this but only has a 6 inch cable on it. I've not been able to take any pictures of my setup yet as I've not got access to my parents digital camera - but as soon as I have then the pics will be posted.

X5_Line_Mini_Long_M.jpg

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 38
[rant]

I really can't stand using an amped portable systen on a regular basis. It's simply too much hassle. A portable should go with you wherever you go, reside comfortably in your pocket, and be ready to be used absolutely anywhere. It's not a question of portability vs. sound quality to me, it's a matter of being able to use your sound system in places where an amped system would simply be impossible or out of place. I can't carry around an amped sound system in a restaurant, in a club, at a wedding or at a party. I can't carry one around while traveling light or on a day trip. My "little black bag of music" is smaller than my wallet, and as unobtrusive as I could get it.

On the other hand, the transportable system sounds better, can be used by anyone (I use custom IEM's in my portable), and most importantly, uses exclusively replaceable battaries. I think this is one rather substantial point in favor of PCDP's - their reliance on standard AA batteries (usually) as opposed to an internal battery that you have to charge. What if you go camping for a few days like I do on a regular basis? You won't have anything to charge your mp3 player, and when it runs dry, you're screwed.

I actually liked the Zen Micro because of it's swappable internal battery. You could buy a few batteries, charge them up, and you'll have a lot of playing hours on the go.

[/rant]

Portable system (the Black Bag of Music):

X5 30GB with FLACs (Kenwood HD20GA7 on the way) --> Westone ES2

Transportable system:

Fisher PCD5400 or Sony D311 (lineout) --> Kimber mini-mini --> Stax SR-001 Mk II

The Kimber is the one sold on Headroom's site, and the SR-001 Mk II is available from Audiocubes. Fisher PCD5400's are really rare but pop up on eBay once in a while, dirt cheap. The D311 is, well, a D311. Good luck trying to find one, reasonably priced and in working condition.

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...o-mini-1ft.php
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...II_System.html

I also have a Porta Corda Mk II which I use with either the Senn HD600 or the Beyer DT770, the source being one of the vintage PCDP's usually. I was going to buy a Hornet but I don't think I need it. I really like the SR-001 on the move, and prefer it sonically to the HD600 by a good margin. It's more forward, more detailed, and the midrange is absolutely to die for.

The funny thing is, the transportable costs 1/3 of the portable, but sounds better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Can those of you with portable players and amps or amps/dacs list your inventory? I am interested in upgrading my portable rig one day and just want to get an idea.

-List your player and amp or amp/dac.

Sony D-33 or Kenwood DPC-61 vintage PCDP -> Cardas mini-mini ->Headsave Go-Vibe V2 (soon to add a Pimeta or something of that nature).

Quote:

-How you hook up your amp or amp/dac. (ex. through line out or headphone out)

Line out only.

Quote:

-The headphones/IEMs that you use.

Beyer DT880, AKG K501, AKG K240S (soon)

Quote:

-How portable is it really?

Not portable at all, but I don't use it portably... it's for transportable use around the house.

Quote:

-Also list and comments that you have about your setup.

The Go-Vibe drives my full size high impedance cans quite well, particularly modded to use two 9v batteries.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 38
Source be an iRiver H-140 using Rockbox Firmware.
All music @ .ogg, .flac or VBR MP3

My amp is the ever so gorgeous Supermini-3.

Amp be connected via the line out of my iRiver.

To hear the muisc I use Beyer DT880s primarily.... with a hint of Shure e3c's sometimes.

It's incredibly portable. Amp is tiny etc etc. Its portable.

When I get my new interconnect through the post (with thanks to HighFlyin9) the quality should be substantially better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back