YOUR PERCEPTION - GUT FEELING: What do different languages sound like? And what is the most beautiful sounding spoken language?
Jul 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kkl10

500+ Head-Fier
I thought it would be interesting to launch this subject and get as many reactions as possible.

From a purelly aesthetic point of view, I'd like to know what is your RAW perception of some of the different languages spoken throughout the world.
As silly as it may sound...

In my perception, for example:

Brasilian Portuguese language sounds somewhat cheerfull and when I hear someone speaking it, he/she sounds as if wanting to be my friend.
German language sounds generally cold, stark, austere, closed upon itself yet clear, but sometimes I sense an angular and sharp melodic quality to it. I'd like to learn it because of it's rich literature.
Japanese sounds simple, clear, nimble, cosy and somewhat logic when spoken slowly.
American English sounds mostly neutral a bit unremarkable and boring, Brittish sounds more classic and 'barroque' while English spoken with Indian accent sounds hilarious to me.
Slavic languages sound very unremarkable and kind of tasteless, boring.
 Italian sounds very temperamental and excited, sometimes annoyingly so, it sounds 'chic' and very stylized.
French sounds mellow and unoffensive, kind of oblique sounding, stylized.
Arabic sounds very unrythmical and harsh, convoluted and a bit guttural and exotic. The writting system looks impressive though.
The most exotic sounding languages I've heard are probably those belonging to the Khoisan language families spoken in some few african locations. Their extensive use of 'click' consonats make their languages sound very confusing and almost alien to my ears, it's very impressive.

As for beauty, I'm of the opinion that most languages can sound beautiful if well spoken.

At the moment, I have a sweet spot for 2 languages:
Swedish  sounds 'wise', calm, phonetically well proportioned and has a very beautiful fluid aesthetics. To much Ingmar Bergman films, I guess.
European Portuguese at the surface sounds somewhat neutral and unremarkable, at a deeper level I perceive a subtle but very unique beauty that is strange, sophisticated and sensual. I also perceive a somewhat rich melodic variation through well proportioned phonetics, which prevents it from sounding boring despite not sounding as 'prosodically temperamental nor stylized' as some other Romance languages (those derived from Latin) as Italian, French or Spanish.

I live in Portugal and I'm a native portuguese speaker so I might be biased. Maybe I wouldn't have the same opinion if I didn't know this language.

So come and share with us your GUT FEELING for the different languages throughout the world.
As silly as it may seem.

You can answer in any format you'd like.
You can make a rank of 10 languages from the most beautiful to the least with a short description behind them, or you can just name the most beautifull the most neutral and the least beautiful,... as you wish.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 4
When I was studying German I was very enthralled with the language and thought it was fun to make the sounds. Studying French was fun too, but my voice doesn't naturally want to work as if I am singing, so I have a hard time with pronunciation. I find Korean to be comforting, largely because I lived with three Koreans who were very friends and were always happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back