Your opinions on a system change for $1000 or less..
Mar 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eddiek997

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own Grado GS1000 statement series, RA1 amp, HifiMan EF2a Dac, Musical Fidelity VdacII, Maverick Tube Magic Dac1.

I have a very large digital music collection all ripped in Flac format but cannot find the right balance of equipment that suits my tastes. (Rock, Classical, Blues).
For example, listening to Adele in true flac format via either of my dacs produces irritating sibilance with the GS1000's. I'm prepared to take a total change of direction and love the sound of tubes.

Advice on a good setup for $1k (maybe more if I sell the GS1000's) please. Tried and trusted combinations.

**Note, I do not get the sibilance when listening to the same stuff on my B&W CM7's via my beautiful Onix tube amp. Only thru the Grados (which surprises me)**

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your reply....

In your opinion, are the HE500s better that the GS1000s?  I wasn't very specific in my original post about listening tastes. Prefer lows and mids with staging and resolution more than highs (which fatigue me over time). I've found the Grados lean a little too bright for my tastes but their accuracy is superb.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Thank you for your reply....

In your opinion, are the HE500s better that the GS1000s?  I wasn't very specific in my original post about listening tastes. Prefer lows and mids with staging and resolution more than highs (which fatigue me over time). I've found the Grados lean a little too bright for my tastes but their accuracy is superb.

The HE-500 is one of the most natural sounding headphones you'll hear in the market right now. It's not fatiguing at all, it's a warm headphone, very linear, yet it extends so low so easily and has amazing resolution. Planar mids are just delicious. It's bass is very controlled, tight, low and fast. The treble is clean, clear and smooth. I recommend you audition them, or get them from some place with a return policy. Just ensure when you get them that you can put a little over 1 watt into them power wise and you'll be good to go.

Very best,

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Grado's are sold.
I have also ordered a pair of HE-500's.

Next up is the amp.
I have 3 dacs already but no amp capable of driving the HE-500's properly (EF2A might not have the power). I've read really mixed (some quite poor/some quite good) reviews on the NFB-12, so I'm on the fence about buying that amp. I am looking at the Schiit Asgard. Does anyone know if that plays well with the HE-500's?
The price is right but is the amp?
I was also looking at the Maverick A1 (since I have and am quite please with the D1). I'll spend upto $350 for the amp, If anyone has a great amp to sell PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back