Your opinion on Sony MDR-1AM2 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M60X (and maybe Yamaha HPH-MT8?)
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
The 1AM2 sold for 999 SEK here in Sweden for ~two weeks, that's below €100. Listened in a store and I liked it. Enjoyable music and didn't had to raise the volume that much and it has detachable cable and fold flat against the chest.
Headband was stiff, ear cups are small and somewhat hard I guess, impedance is low so I don't know if it would sound like crap at the computer, sound stage was head-sized, isolation was close to non-existent because of bass-ports.
But I try to save my ears too and maybe I don't need so much volume using those to reach something I can enjoy. Sadly that campaign price is over / out of stock, now lowest price is 1290 SEK and that may have been a "demo" copy (= return.)

M60X I've listened too but only compared to DT 770 250 ohm and as such I preferred them but I didn't felt it was a "wow these are nice" experience. Also I listened to the HD 660 at the same time just from my phone as well and that was much nicer than both. I feel like I should go back and listen to them, they are 1350 SEK.

MT5 is just below 1000 and MT8 is just below 2000 but no of those stores offer free returns and I can't listen to them in a physical store.

I do have a pair of Alessandro MS-1, I like the mids there but cable construction is crap, headband is crap, cups and on ear experience is crap, hair or whatever rustling within the cups / against the drivers are crap, they make a ton of noise if you ride them on a bicycle and you are drowned in noise if you walk past a road with them, you also end up using more volume that was.

I do have the MH751 (~Takstar Pro 82) at home now but they are boring, maybe a bit extra bass there? I get some electrical noise in them like brrrrrrrrrrrrr when connected to my ASUS B450-F motherboard. Soundstage is 20-30 cm outside of the head for me which is nice but as they sound pretty boring to listen too and don't fold flat and make a noise at the computer I don't feel like I'm going to keep them. What purpose would they serve?

I've also used the DT 990 250 ohm for the computer, ****ing fantastic for Dolby Atmos in Overwatch with the awareness of your surroundings but at first I had raised the volume a lot to get a sound I enjoyed / try to get more mids and it got super aggressive on my ears with the treble and bass and I've got ringing for weeks. Later dialed down the volume and that still worked for games and it definitely beat both the Grados and my speakers (B&W DM601S2) for game awareness but sent them back because I could basically for the treble (though very nice for choir music) and of course they aren't very portable at all. I could see myself ordering a new pair though. I also tried the HD 660 as said and they was nice but I don't know how HD58X would be for gaming vs the DT 990.

In all honesty though overall I guess I would still prefer the sound of the DT 990 over the Grado/Alessandros. I just miss Ronan Harris. With the 1AM2 I wasn't annoying by the small sound stage but I was listening to music not playing games.

I feel like I could understand if one used like a pair of DT 990 for games (K712 would be nice to try but I don't eat animals and they have leather on them), like HD58X for at home listening and then a pair of simple closed headphones / possibly ANC for portable use.

I also listened to the BeyerDynamic T51i, very nice size and all there but fixed weak cable and I would be afraid of destroying them and I didn't felt the music was anything extra there either then again I only listened for a short while and maybe "nothing extra" is totally fine. It was last days of being able to return them so it was just a short stressed listening time.
The HD660 was something I actually enjoyed listened too, the Grados, the DT 990, the 1AM2 I also like to listen too, M50X meh, DT 770 meh, MH751 meh, T51 meh? =P So far? MAKE SENSE?! But I haven't A-B and I would use the DT 990 on all occasions for playing Overwatch over the Grados =P

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 2
Is the difference really this large or is that because of electronics/setup/mic?

Sounds completely different. I don't know how to put the words on it but is it that the former is much warmer with more low-mid or whatever and the later exaggerated mids-higher mids or what?

I think the former is nicer to listen to but I wish there was more tracks and things to compare too but that's the only track they have in common I think.

Break on through is also in both:

Massive difference in how much his voice come through.
Just because:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back