Your opinion on Burr Brown OPAMP 2227 Amp Chip
Mar 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 24
Looking at your signature you are on teflon slope with vasaline on ya boots
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you do know we are talking about budget amps here dont you?? I know you have a penchant for the extravagant; just as I do, but 'horses for courses'

Did I start the OPA128 sub-thread?
smily_headphones1.gif
If you do some search, I've always recommended TLE2072/TLE2082 for Cmoy's. Cheap and hell decent for this purpose. For hi-fi they suck, for budget-fi they shine. Try and enjoy.
wink.gif
There are single versions as well - TLE2071, TLE2081.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your signature you are on teflon slope with vasaline on ya boots
beerchug.gif

indeed
atsmile.gif
if I do sell the dock i'll be stealing the teflon VCAPs out of it and substituting some other high grade bypass maybe. or I could just buy some more TFTF or some nice SGIO mundorf but they are pretty huge in the values I would need. hesitant to get rid of the TFTF becauise they are so nicely burned in, I guess i'll see when I get this rig up and going. still a little work to do yet. then I have to make some custom IC's to install it into my pelican case. it really never ends. ES3X next
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
If you do some search, I've always recommended TLE2072/TLE2082 for Cmoy's. Cheap and hell decent for this purpose. For hi-fi they suck, for budget-fi they shine. Try and enjoy.
wink.gif

hehe OK alright; I wasnt having a go at you, I must admit I only really paid attention to the last part of your post where you started getting carried away
tongue.gif
I didnt even look everything up and guess I just lumped it all in together. i'll check'em out, but I cant say I actually have a need for budget op-amps, but will keep in mind for someone else. cheers for the tip. dont actually have heaps of experience rolling op-amps, only know what gear I like and what op-amps are involved in the build.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 24
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Yes, those are very good for budget-fi cmoys. They also have very low current draw for excellent battery life.

IMO, the best cmoy opamp is the OPA2107, very similar sound signature to the OPA627 with out needing such high voltage as the 627. It really takes 2x 9V to run the OPA627 decently. The 2107 does fine on one 9V. Unfortunately, they seem to be hard to find these days.

I am not impressed with 2227 at all.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #22 of 24
Ok so what really is wrong with the 2227 and why do alot here dont like it, I've read that its probably one of the best amps out there on the market for CMOS but thing is I really havent heard one as yet so I cant judge.

Also I know there is a 2228 if I'm correct and how does this sound.

I dont want to buy a headphone amp down the track from Ebay, get it here in Australia than realise I dont like it because the US or UK is far from Australia and not next door.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so what really is wrong with the 2227 and why do alot here dont like it, I've read that its probably one of the best amps out there on the market for CMOS but thing is I really havent heard one as yet so I cant judge.

Also I know there is a 2228 if I'm correct and how does this sound.

I dont want to buy a headphone amp down the track from Ebay, get it here in Australia than realise I dont like it because the US or UK is far from Australia and not next door.

Can I make the assumption that as you are considering a Cmoy and not something a little more expensive that this is your initial venture into the headphone amp world?

If the above is true? I believe that a 2227 will probably sound ok to the untrained not critical ear. I started with a Cmoy with a 2227 and thought it was the dogs do dahs until I learned of Amp Rolling and different architectures. If you jump straight into the high end stuff you don't have anything to compare it with.

Remember ''Even Dwarves Start Small'' (Younger Brother - Flock of Bleeps)
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back