Your Music Bitrate
Dec 9, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #122 of 134
Mostly 192kbps from Ruckus

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #125 of 134
I have a combination of few enough CDs and a large enough HDD that I keep both FLAC rips and ~256 Lame VBR rips of all my music.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #126 of 134
I use EAC to rip to flac for home listening & archiving. I then transcode from flac to Lame -V 2 --vbr-new for my iPod.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #129 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try using v2 with some john coltrane, I think it was the giant steps cd and other music with very high frequencies present in the recording. The high frequencies are much better represented using v0. I could tell 20/20 in the foobar abx with cd vs v2 but with v0, I could only tell with the first 4 straight tries then listener fatigue set in and I couldn't tell anymore. v0 still had a blurring of transients but it was very slight that it did not affect my enjoyment of the music. With most rock and classical, v2 is fine.

I've tried ABX'ing V2 with so called "problem clips" that have a tendency to introduce artifacts when compressed, best I could ever get with something like that was 12/16, and I can't even consistently do that. If you have any short clips of the coltrane stuff in .wav you could host somewhere I would definitely be interested in abx'ing it with V2 compression.

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #130 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when listening from my laptop - Apple Lossless

when listening from my iPod - AAC 320 kbps

I started with the iTunes default (128 kbps), then got my first "real" headphones (Grado SR60s). These were revealing enough to make my music soound "grainy" as a previous poster put it. So I moved up to 256, and then 320, and then lossless. I doubt I could tell the difference between 256 and 320, but 320 is pretty compact.

I finally concluded that the difference between lossless and 320 is within the margin of placebo, particularly on the iPod. Plus, using lossless files on an iPod drains the battery really fast. On my laptop, I don't care.

How do you deal with two different bit rates? Do you use a script or how?

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #131 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diatribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you deal with two different bit rates? Do you use a script or how?

Are you asking how to encode to two different bitrates, or how to listen to two different bitrates from the same device? For playback, assuming the device supports the file, the player will automatically play it just like any other file without any special user intervention.

Im guessing you're more interested in how to burn to multiple bitrates. I THINK that EAC is capable of burning to multiple formats at once, though im not entirely sure

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #132 of 134
I honestly couldn't pass a "blind test" between MPC (Musepack Audio) and FLAC. Thus I don't see the point in using FLAC ^_^
In general however I stay above 192 kbps, since anything below results in a terrible experience (and I DO notice a difference between 192 kbps and MPC).

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #133 of 134
I can pass ABX up to 192 kbps—barely, but that doesn't stop me from ripping at 320 kbps AAC for the majority of my music and Apple Lossless for material I consider exemplary samples of recording and engineering work. I definitely subscribe to the fact that storage is cheap and is perpetually getting cheaper.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #134 of 134
i encoded everything to Apple Lossless and compared them with 256KB VBR MP3, couldn't tell the difference, but since i'm limited to 30gigs on ipod, currently am converting to 256kb vbr... then again i always switch to different formats to experiment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back