Your most recent WORTHY DISCOVERY?
Sep 1, 2004 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
Your most recently discovered artist, band or recording worth mentioning is?

My most recent worthy discovery, that would be most accessible to others, would be the band Arcturus and their release 'The Sham Mirrors'. Imaginative and eccentric with a hybrid of styles, I can't actually describe it very well. Descended from a metal background that seems to have been dissolved by a dose of rock opera, dollop of lunacy and a wee dash of trip-hop here and there. Varied enough not to become boring over the long haul.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 48
I guess this isn't really a recent discovery, per se, since I'd heard one song from the group before, but my most recent purchase was Permission to Land, by The Darkness. Great album! I had only hear "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" before, but most of the other songs are great as well, especially "Givin' Up."

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 48
that cd remindes me a lot of spinaltap for some unknow reason. it is a pretty cool cd though.

I was listening to a college radio station and they were playing royksopp and I got their CD and its amazing.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 48
M83 -- Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghost (or something like that)...just got a stateside release with an extra disk, and it's really fantastic. One of the better electronic albums I've heard recently.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 48
Just one? Really? OK, but I'll throw out a couple bonus selections
smily_headphones1.gif

The new one from the Court & Spark is sounding very good. Titled Witch Season and sporting one of my favorite album covers of the year to go with the cool, twangy, atmospheric, haunting and moody music. Nice warm analog sound recorded on fat 2" tape in a bunch of real studios. Blue Rodeo fans out there might wanna check it out as it does have that same lush alt-country sound as those Canadian favorites, but maybe just a tad bit more eclectic. Good singer too, kind of like a mix of Richard Buckner and maybe someone like Jerry Garcia, but the star attraction is really the instrumental interplay from what is billed in the liner notes as the Witch Season Players, a group of 20 musicians used to augment the 5 core band members. The great opening track is available for download from the Absolutely Kosher site here, although some of that really nice sound that adds to its charm is lost when compressed to mp3. Definitely one of my favorite Americana type albums of the year. A little on the slow side of the tracks but you definitely won't hear anything as interesting as this on your local country station.

Been playing the new one by a band named Old Canes and the CD is Early Morning Hymns. It's actually a side-project of the lead guy from the Appleseed Cast, Chris Crisci. But instead of the indie-prog soundscapes that band excels at, this is acoustic folk-rock. And very good folk-rock that comes out sounding a bit more like something from Neutral Milk Hotel's classic In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, except with the warmer and less abrasive voice of Crisci telling the stories. One of my recent favorites and you can even listen to a stream of the whole album at http://www.earlymorninghymns.com/. I see they have a nice
st_r7.gif
review up at AMG now too. I think the first I heard of it was in the glowing review at Delusions of Adequacy.

The Honeydogs 10,000 Years continues to be one of my top albums of the year. Really seems like an epic work that should be recognized for years to come, except that it's hardly even recognized now. Too bad. I've tried to do my part and have definitely turned a few people on to it but maybe it's just a case of the right album at the wrong time? I'd recommend it to all music fans since it really doesn't occupy any specific genre. Maybe that's the problem? But that's one of the things that I like so much about it too. It brings to mind Beatles and Wilco and Aimee Mann and Ry Cooder and Harry Nilsson and many other types of music. I've seen a few good ones, but one of the nicest writeups is at Paste Magazine and they also had a slobberfest over it at Nude As The News last year, which I think is where I first heard about it.

As always, ymmv and all that.

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 48
A buddy lent me his Brian Eno/David Byrne album "my life in the bush of ghosts". Its a very nice album with plenty of beat and "groove". The slow Eno I know from "music for airports" is completely absent in this album, that's for sure. I never really considered the recording quality of my copies of some of Eno's work to be superlative but this album isn't bad at all.

A nice surprise.

cheers,

TonyAAA

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 48
MF Doom - "Operation: Doomsday"

Perhaps one of the best albums I've bought all year. In the same brilliance as the highly acclaimed Madvillian album that was released earlier this year.

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 48
Mew and The Mars Volta.

Both great bands, Mew is indie pop/rock, really catchy stuff.

The Mars Volta is Progressive/Experimental Rock, just got into them recently.

Sep 2, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 48
mf doom and m83 are both amazing. try viktor von, also, mf dooms latest cd The Venomous Villain', although i myself havent heard it. go to his cool website at

mfdoomsite.com

Sep 2, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 48
Reel Big Fish and Madness. I'm getting into Ska and Ska-core more.

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 48
I like the new album by Franz Ferdinand
Nothing new or revolutionary, just well crafted fun alternative rock.

Anyone get The Kills new album.........is that any good?

Oh yes, and new album by Von Bondies "pawn shop" is very good. I do like the first album a little better though.

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 48
Old Canes has released my favorite album so far of the year. I agree with Davey.

The M83 release is amazing to and I'm so excited to get to see them in LA. Especially since its free. hehe.

I am also liking Lovedrug's album "Pretend You're Alive" Finely crafted pop rock.

But not many albums have really shocked me in a good way although there's been plenty of solid ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back