Your most embarrassing moment in sport
May 7, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Keep in mind that he was at the end of his pro carreer (U.S Open, Wimbledon, French Open, etc.) as I was barely out of juniors ranks...
biggrin.gif

That's understandable. But don't feel bad, I got "my" butt handed to me by a 72 y.o. last year (not a former No. 23 in the world though).
redface.gif

May 7, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 26
I don't remember it that well, but...

When I was 5 years old I was introduced to soccer, indoor and outdoor. I loved the sport, but my skill were particularly tailored to the indoor game. Once I figured out the basics (including the fact that dribbling did not involve basketball style bouncing) I was determined to become an all star.

Well there was a free kick at about the half way mark, of course I could see the ball going right into the net. I geared up for a super 5 year old power kick, and ended up missing the ball entirely. I flipped over backwards and knocked myself straight the heck out. I was delusional for a day or so, and ended up going to the hospital, but that started off a 10+ year soccer career that I really enjoyed. To this day, it is still one of my earliest memories.

Here is to funny sports injuries, wish I had it on tape.

May 9, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 26
I was in the pole vault in eighth grade. We had waited and waited for this new composite pole. My first vault with it in practice, I tripped and planted the pole right into the bottom of the wood base where the mat sits . . . SNAP! Broke the brand new pole right in half. I was afraid to show my face for weeks
mad.gif

May 9, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 26
I don't know if this can be considered embarrassing, but it's a good story
smily_headphones1.gif

This past weekend at my conference meet for track, I ran the 1500. I was a tad bit nervous, since I was seeded 8th but my coach was expecting a 5th place finish. Well the race went off and I was in good position, top 6 after the first 400. Coming through the 800 in 2:07 felt really easy, but I knew that last half was going to hurt like a mother, since I'm running with some legit guys.

Well of course we started picking up the pace, really picking up the pace. With 400 to go I was still in this tight pack of 6 runners, and no one was loosing ground. The last 400 was a blur, I just remember hearing the crowd roaring and my heart trying to beat right through my chest. Lactic acid was literally sweating out of my body.

I crossed the line in 3rd place, and my time was exactly 3:54.00. Well, this was a big P.R. for me, but it didn't come without some more pain...after getting up off the track (actually, getting picked up by a teammate), I started throwing up all over the place. I'm talking right there by the finish line. People didn't know whether to shake my hand, laugh, or run away
rolleyes.gif

Ah, sweet sweet glory
icon10.gif

May 9, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #20 of 26
I was helping instruct a karate class at Green River CC in Washington and I was sparing this guy who was a 2nd degree black belt in Aikido. I would say 60 percent of the class were females... Anyway, he did this weird pouncing move at me while flailing his arms. It was actually kinda funny looking, anyway, I moved backwards a couple steps but not far enough, he stepped on my pant leg and pushed me back (he must have noticed before hand that they were elastic). Well, I fell back and my pants flew off... Fortunately I was in pretty good shape at the time and one of the girls yelled out something about me having a nice ass so I wasn't half as embarrissed as I would have been otherwise.

May 9, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #21 of 26
OK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,here it goes!

When I was in the 7th grade on the Junior High School Basketball team, I had a major blunder. My teamate inbounded the ball after the other team scored. Immediately after he inbounds the ball by passing to me, I caught the ball, and shot a layup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ON THE OTHER TEAMS BASKET!!!

The absolute worst thing you can do as a 7th grader is embarass yourself in front of the whole school. To make matters worse, as my coach was making a substitution to take me out of the game (immediately afterwards!), a guy from the other team shouted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,'Can we have him on our team'!!
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 26
Not the most embarrassing moment (having a hard time coming up with one
wink.gif
) but... I was on the varsity tennis team in high school. I my serves are usually 100+ mph and I topped out at around 118mph once... One time during practice... I ripped one of those 110+mph serves and unfortunetly for one of my team mates... the ball head straight towards him and nailed him in the ballz...
redface.gif
Needless to say he was down for a good amount of time...
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
and... ah... n/m...
redface.gif

May 9, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #23 of 26
Can't say I personally have any good embarrassing sports moments. I played high school football and was on varsity scrub squad both my junior and senior years. That was somewhat embarrassing, but I was just average and on an 80+ man, top 10 or better in state team (I played with two guys who were on the Titans last year and another guy who got drafted this year - can't remember which team).

I did witness what must have been horribly embarrassing in gym class one day in junior high, however. We were playing floor hockey, and I was in the goal. The ball was down at the other end of the floor, and so were pretty much all the players. This one guy got the ball on a breakaway and headed down towards me - he had pretty much nobody on him, so I got ready to defend. He got about 10 feet from me, stumbled, and stepped on the blade of his stick. That forced the handle of the stick out of his hands and straight into his...yeah. Lifted him off the ground a bit and he face planted right in front of me. That was the end of floor hockey for the day. He didn't get up for maybe 15 minutes, was sent straight to the nurse, and stories of swelling and discoloration were rampant for the next couple days
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 26
Practically any of my attempts at sports are embarrassing and thus have to be avoided.
wink.gif
For example, my stepfather compares my swimming style to "almost drowning hippo with huge nostrils". *sigh* I manage a bit of elegance in badminton, though. And I've recently aquired a set of boules (petanque) balls - boules seems to be the appropriate type of sports for me.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I'm probably Winston Churchill reincarnated in a slim guy.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
(...) And I've recently aquired a set of boules (petanque) balls - boules seems to be the appropriate type of sports for me.
biggrin.gif

I'm realy sorry about what I'm about to say but your most embarrassing moment in sport is right now....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

May 9, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 26
If you're drowning and getting water up your nose, why not try those nosebuds?
wink.gif

I'm rather embarrassing at sports too. I love playing badmitton, and do these really beautiful volleys....only I completely missed the birdie. I usually collapse in laughter laughing at myself.

So in PE when we got to baseball bit and it was my turn to hit, everyone came up close. Big mistake. I was awesome at baseball. My dad would have had a shot at the majors in his youth as a pitcher if he hadn't firstly, discovered girls, and secondly, badly damaged his shoulder because he didn't feel like warming up for a game of softball.

Anyway, I grew up learning to hit his fast-balls...which had a natural curve to them. So in little league if you threw me a straight fast ball or a curve or whatever, I'd hit it out of the park.

I kept those skills in this PE class although it'd been years since I'd even tried to hit a ball. I hit the teacher's car window, but after that I was the darling of the guys in the class who were on the varsity baseball team.

Shortly before I left home, dad and I went outside to see if I still had it. I did. We were far away from the outdoor shed, but I broke the window. Dad was so proud.

As for in the field, strictly right outfield, I sucked at everything but hitting the thing out of the park.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, it's my one sporting triumph. I may have been an equestrian, but it was strictly my horse that made me look any good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Practically any of my attempts at sports are embarrassing and thus have to be avoided.
wink.gif
For example, my stepfather compares my swimming style to "almost drowning hippo with huge nostrils". *sigh* I manage a bit of elegance in badminton, though. And I've recently aquired a set of boules (petanque) balls - boules seems to be the appropriate type of sports for me.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I'm probably Winston Churchill reincarnated in a slim guy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back