Your Mileage May Vary, so do you try everything?
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ksat90

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just sharing my experience in audio lalaland.
Its a really long post so its posted at https://medium.com/audiophiliac-articles/7b1cd3479891 for aesthetics purposes (no its not a personal blog or external site related to audio).

What I would like to ask the community is that how would you recommend a particular headphone when you can't tell the specific preferences of the person?
Is there a way to "shortcut" to the ideal gear instead of spending thousands buying and selling headphones you think might sound nice, but might not actually like in real use?

Let me know your thoughts!

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 3
lol - your mistake is thinking that there actually *is* perfect gear. There isn't. I believe that the farther up the summit-fi trail you get, the less it is about "good", "best" & "ultimate", and the more it is about the journey itself. Most head-fiers, if they actually have the opportunity to see audio nirvana, really wouldn't stop once they got there. Even if you believe there really is one perfect set of headphones for you, that only applies until the next new model is released. That next model just might be a better than what you have now. More importantly, how would you know unless you tried?

I'll also say that I have noticed that folks that have access to the Jaben store tend to have a slightly skewed view of the world of head-fi. The rest of the world is simply not as fortunate as you. We have NO WHERE we can go to listen to anything approaching the summit of head-fi. Our only opportunity to listen to a wide variety of 'phones is at a head-fi get-together or meet.

We can get off this road anytime we want to - but we simply don't want to! :wink:

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 3
lol - your mistake is thinking that there actually *is* perfect gear. There isn't. I believe that the farther up the summit-fi trail you get, the less it is about "good", "best" & "ultimate", and the more it is about the journey itself. Most head-fiers, if they actually have the opportunity to see audio nirvana, really wouldn't stop once they got there. Even if you believe there really is one perfect set of headphones for you, that only applies until the next new model is released. That next model just might be a better than what you have now. More importantly, how would you know unless you tried?

I'll also say that I have noticed that folks that have access to the Jaben store tend to have a slightly skewed view of the world of head-fi. The rest of the world is simply not as fortunate as you. We have NO WHERE we can go to listen to anything approaching the summit of head-fi. Our only opportunity to listen to a wide variety of 'phones is at a head-fi get-together or meet.

We can get off this road anytime we want to - but we simply don't want to!
wink.gif

I guess you can say that there is no perfect gear, but I guess what I was trying to mean is to find a pair of headphones you really like and really would keep going back to. Of course we would keep trying new stuff, that's the whole excitement of audio gears. Your comment about "how would you know unless you tried" is really an apt excuse/reason why we keep trying new stuff even when we have the gear that we really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back