Your listening habits....
Nov 11, 2005 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
So, you get that new CD/Vinyl/mp3/tape/whatever by your favorite group or in your favorite genre. It is your perfect musical bliss.

Are you obsessed, listening exclusively to your new addiction until you can no longer bear to hear it again?

...or...

Are you restrained, savoring the experience for only a short time before moving on, ensuring future listening enjoyment?

...or...

Somewhere in between.

How long has that new CD occupied your player?

I'm just curious. Feel free to post your listening habits.

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 10
i try to cycle completely through my whole collection, but it's usually the recent ones that get played the most. currently in a fiona apple phase. constantly when the pawn and extraordinary machine. but mostly when the pawn. i'll go back to something old when i feel nastolgic. i can't believe i listened to primus that long.

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, considering I'm up to about 130 new CDs in 2005 (and considering another bulk purchase before the end of the year), I don't stay long on anything new. In fact, each "brand new" CD gets one or two listens through initially (inlcuding in the car, at work, and at home) and then is put back in the "newish" stack in favor of the next "brand new" one. Then I come back to them a little later.

I then listen obsessively to some newish stuff, ten or twelve times in a row, until I'm humming the tunes at work and I've got the four or five best tunes running through my skull at all times.

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 10
I'll sit down and listen to it once a day or more for about a week.

I'm the guy that will put a song on repeat, sit and listen to it for an hour.

The worst part is, I can't do anything else at the same time. No exercising, no cleaning, no sewing, no homework (pssshh!). I just sit there and fry my brain like a druggie. It's really not at all healthy.
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I obsess, therefore with all I buy I am constantly listening to music, changing them back and forth with my mood and discovering new things about my tastes. Once in awhile, I'll have some spare time between releases (fall not being one) and really come to appreciate those with staying power.

Nov 11, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Restrained. Most albums from my favorite artists take a while to "get into", so I listen to others in-between.

Nov 11, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm definitely restrained. Too much music and not enough time. I can hardly keep up with the music I'm buying all the time! I probably need to take about a 6 month break and not buy anything new during this time. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd time through a CD when I start drawing better and more lasting impresions. But of course it's a Catch 22. Either you explore too much and don't really get a chance to savor anything, or you can spend too much time with a limited rotation and miss out on the enjoyment that comes from expanding your musical horizons.

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Somewhere in between. Its not all I listen to, because I cant just listen to the same music over and over. I need some sort of variety, especially when I listen for a long time.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 10
I probably qualify as restrained because I buy in batches. I budget a monthly sum for CDs. At the beginning of each month I have a list of titles for purchase. Most of my buying is on-line. The new CDs filter in over the course of the month, and nothing gets a lot of repeat listening.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back