Your life-expectancy?
Nov 18, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #47 of 64
I'll be lucky to see 70 based on my father's health.
frown.gif

-Ed

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #48 of 64
Realistically I'm not really expecting to make it beyond 70. I'm in decent health now but both sides of my family have a crapload of health issues that set in during middle age. But given how healthcare has advanced, I may very live past 100 and I expect the average man from my generation probably will make it to the century mark.

And according to that OKCupid.com test, I'll die at age 73 from cancer. I'd expect I'd die a few years earlier than that of heart disease or something related which seems to be the major killer in my family.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #50 of 64
72 based on the test - I'd have guessed 75 without it.

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
Using the MIT test:

April 2062
at age 78
- probable cause -
heart attack

WHY YOU DIE?
56% heart attack
24% car accident
13% overdose
5% drowning of the lungs
2% wounds

woot

Febuary 2066
at age 78
- probable cause -
heart attack

WHY YOU DIE?
56% heart attack
24% car accident
13% overdose
5% drowning of the lungs
2% wounds

freakin sweet...
icon10.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #52 of 64
Wow, such a morbid thread.
tongue.gif

On the plus side for those giving low estimates for their life-expectancy, live it up!
No need to hold yourself back with Headphone purchases. Buy like there's no tomorrow, because there might not be.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #53 of 64
Yep, ordering a new & expensive source for Christmas, then pointing my wife to this thread...

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Wow, such a morbid thread.
tongue.gif

On the plus side for those giving low estimates for their life-expectancy, live it up!
No need to hold yourself back with Headphone purchases. Buy like there's no tomorrow, because there might not be.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

tongue.gif
Well, that's a certain way of looking at it...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, there is no reason to look at death as morbid. It's the only Universal constant: "Entropy cannot be denied". It's how you use what you have when you have it, just like I when I quoted Sheryl Crow - just not about what goods you have.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #57 of 64
The "scientific-ish" calculators seem to think 73 or so. I, though, tend to think it will be around 51.

It would be a cruel joke to get twenty more years than I want. A half-century is enough. I doubt that there will be a plethora of loved ones to disappoint with my passing, so it isn't as though I have a lot of people keeping me here.

Death is another part of life. Not my favorite, mind you, but still a part. I suppose.

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
given how healthcare has advanced, I may very live past 100 and I expect the average man from my generation probably will make it to the century mark.

The scene when latest XBOX goes on sale in year 2075

d7.jpg

Nov 18, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
How long do you expect to live? Based on your lifestyle, and your parents and/or grandparents actual length of life?

None of my grandparents lived to a ripe old age.

I'm underweight (which plays in my favor) and also out of shape/sedentary (which plays against me). I also smoked for 20+ years, and still dip snuff... however, I don't drink alcohol at all. Excellent immune system, I rarely even get colds in the wintertime, have no allergies whatsoever and no chronic illnesses.

Dunno... if I ever get in shape and quit tobacco completely, I'd give myself pretty good odds. Otherwise, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back