Your LAPTOP Predictions....2009
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP service is awesome but they dont release Powerful laptops

Sure they did...and every desktop replacement series they released (ZD7000, ZD8000, DV9000) blew up in one way or another.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #32 of 37
Don't forget the poor battery life. My dv2000 is only two years old and had light use by its prior owner, yet gets about an hour of battery with everything off/at minimum. Their elite books are much better, but are expensive as hell since they're business-class.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure they did...and every desktop replacement series they released (ZD7000, ZD8000, DV9000) blew up in one way or another.

dude..u saw their graphic card?

not even close to offerings by Asus G1/G2 and Gateway.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude..u saw their graphic card?

not even close to offerings by Asus G1/G2 and Gateway.

Note the release dates of the HP's in question - the last of that line, the dv9000 with nVidia's 7600, was released mid-2006. In mid-2006 Gateway had the NX860 with similar specs...but in 2006, Gateway wasn't really a player, still hurting from the retail stores, poor customer reliability reviews on older equipment and blase media coverage. Dell's XPS line was the all the buzz.

The ZD7k/ZD8k/dv9k were such problems that customer's gave HP a black eye. And HP just hasn't been as visible in the desktop replacement market since - which is where Gateway came in, to sweep up the opening. Good business acumen, that.

My own ZD7k has been dead for 7 months, and I've been trying to get it repaired below the price of a complete replacement. HP washed their hands of my computer after the class action settlement - I wasn't notified (even though the computer was purchased directly from HP) - and, after the incredibly short 3 month settlement window (!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
) they simply refuse to do anything at all. They want almost $600 for the motherboard alone. I finally found a brand-new, updated ZD7000a motherboard (out with the nVidia 5700, in with ATI x600) on Friday (remember, 7 months!) at a good price so, maybe, next week...7 months will end!!

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 37
Better performance & less pricey.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 37
About labtop price, I don't think they will go down unless you buy a used one. They will stay at $500 to $600 at the lowest affordable model. This is the business model of big corp to make money, if they sell stuff at $300 not enough profit, rather to load Vista and a bunch of preload softwares and charge higher price.

I'm not interested in labtop, a little big, energy consuming, not good battery life (except that new $2000 mac). I'm still waiting for the ideal netbook. I skip on the Everun Note because it seem unreliable, heat problems and terrible battery life. The only thing the netbook is missing is cd drives, and I got a portable slim one.

I'll wait until Ubuntu ARM is release, multicore arm cpu might be a while from now though, then I will buy one of the arm netbook. This one right now is a bit weak in performance: Pegatron and Freescale team for low-power, ultra-cheap netbooks and nettops - Engadget

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i never bought hp stuff personally so i don't know about the rmaa process, but i help bought an hp labtop for someone and the only warrenty customer service is directed to hp.com/support and a card with the phone number, but the website has so little "get to the point" info. some this impression it seem to me they don't want to make it obvious for the customer to find support for replacing their thing. but this is my bias impression view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back