Your iPod's not -that- special!
Apr 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

cyanbomb

100+ Head-Fier
I work in a place that sells headphones and earphones, amongst other things. It boggles me that at least 10 times a day (calculate that figure per month), I get asked this question:

"Will these work with my iPod?"

I mean, how many types of mini-phono jacks do earphones come with?!
Have people not seen 3.5mm jacks before? Have they not noticed that Apple has used 3.5mm jacks on all generations of the iPod from the beginning 'til now?

The earphones we sell will not turn into C4 and explode if plugged into an Apple device, nor will their iPods go into nuclear meltdown when paired with a non-toiletbowl-white set of earphones. Which part of the earphone exactly do people think isn't compatible????

Why don't I get this question from Samsung MP3 owners? Cowon owners? Creative owners? Meizu owners??? Why only iPod owners???

Sorry, I'm just exasperated.
I love Apple so much. Especially their interface and design. But I. Can't. Stand. Some. Of. Their. Users.
confused.gif

/rant

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 41
I learned a long time ago that the world is happy, ignorant people. Unfortunately, most are extremely happy in their ignorance and wouldn't change it for the world. I could never work retail. You're forced to deal with them too much. It's bad enough working in an office.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 41
Why not ask what part they think is incompatible? Or for some it could be the power output (though iPod are usually higher than most most out there).

Sounds like you've missed at least 100 opportunities last month to solve your question.

I agree the more simple to use items tend to attack the least technically inclined users (I'm a Mac proponent who has trouble like you with many Apple fans), and I'm not sure where you're located, but out of curiosity how many Samsung/Cowon/Creative/Meizu users do you see daily?

Hey, just be happy people new to audio are trying to find better sound.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 41
1. Its better to make sure, esp when they think the ipod is expensive.. they cant afford to pay 10$ more for another pair.
2. Having someone tell you is more satisfying than looking in manual..
3. Incompetence, considering that they may not know anything about electronics or its their 1st time using it.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not ask what part they think is incompatible? Or for some it could be the power output (though iPod are usually higher than most most out there).

Sounds like you've missed at least 100 opportunities last month to solve your question.

I agree the more simple to use items tend to attack the least technically inclined users (I'm a Mac proponent who has trouble like you with many Apple fans), and I'm not sure where you're located, but out of curiosity how many Samsung/Cowon/Creative/Meizu users do you see daily?

Hey, just be happy people new to audio are trying to find better sound.

I -have- asked, as it's the first question I'd ask naturally. And the answer most of the time is, "Um.. dunno... just want to know if it works with iPod." And I answer very politely, "Most definitely!"
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in Singapore, which is considered a very tech-savvy society. Mobile phone saturation here is now over 90%, and almost everyone has some form of MP3 player. I see mostly iPod users, many Samsung and Creative users (Creative started in Singapore, and Samsung has been well-established here for decades), and the occasional Meizu owner. Cowon just recently broke into the local market so they're rare.

This iPod-user trend just bugs the hell out of me.
But I think there is some wisdom in the reply that a simple interface attracts the less tech-savvy. Maybe that's the answer?
confused.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 41
People who are used to portable audio (from cassette player to cd player to some phones to many PDAs and DAPs) knows that 3.5 mm jack is the standard.

The thing about iPod, or Apple stuffs in general, is that for various reasons, it attracts people who normally don't get those stuffs. Many of those, if not for the existence of iPod, would probably not have a DAP, and thus they are not used to having the concept of universal 3.5 mm jack.

But from another and perhaps their unintended perspective, the question is actually valid. One probably shouldn't plug gigantic cans (unamped) into their iPods even if the jack fits.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I -have- asked, as it's the first question I'd ask naturally. And the answer most of the time is, "Um.. dunno... just want to know if it works with iPod." And I answer very politely, "Most definitely!"
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in Singapore, which is considered a very tech-savvy society. Mobile phone saturation here is now over 90%, and almost everyone has some form of MP3 player. I see mostly iPod users, many Samsung and Creative users (Creative started in Singapore, and Samsung has been well-established here for decades), and the occasional Meizu owner. Cowon just recently broke into the local market so they're rare.

This iPod-user trend just bugs the hell out of me.
But I think there is some wisdom in the reply that a simple interface attracts the less tech-savvy. Maybe that's the answer?
confused.gif

I think you are confusing cell phone punching keyboard monkeys as tech savvy people.
biggrin.gif

I'm from Singapore too.

Let me give you an example. EZ link (a magnetic card for payment on public transport) has been introduced for a while. Everyone is using it. However from the way that many people likes to slam their cards on top of the sensor, I'm not sure if they understand what they are dealing with.
biggrin.gif
And we all know that contact of the card is not necessary at all and by slapping the card on the sensor won't make the sensor senses the card better.

If you frequent gadget shops you'd hear all sort of question that you'd not expect shirt and tie wearing educated people would ask. Once I saw a guy asking the store assistant if a USB wireless LAN adapter would give him internet connection (and I assume that he didn't mean to hijack his neighbour's network).

It's sad to say, this category of of people is not a minority is Singapore.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 41
Get a new job!
tongue.gif

Where you don't have to handle those ignorant iPod users...

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 41
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earphones we sell will not turn into C4 and explode if plugged into an Apple device, nor will their iPods go into nuclear meltdown when paired with a non-toiletbowl-white set of earphones. Which part of the earphone exactly do people think isn't compatible????

LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 41
You should have seen the expressions (and comments) of people in the Apple Store when I walked in with my portable setup.

"Woah, you carry around a battery pack and listen to music through it?!"

Never fails.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 41
And what do you say when they come in with the iphone? I would say that someone needs to lighten up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back