Your Input One Last Time Before I go For It
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Terps Fan

Head-Fier
Ok.  Would you:

A.  Purchase a open headphone based on the advantages that open headphones offer, if it meant a reduction in listening time due to your designated listening area.

or.....

B.  Purchase a closed headphone with the disavantages that closed headphones offer (sound quality wise that is), if it meant being able to listen to your music damn near anytime you like.

confused_face(1).gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 9
B

btw imo the whole "open headphones sound better than closed headphones" thing is just a weird hype or myth over head-fi..

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Heya,

I'd get the closed headphone, nearly every time. I prefer closed though. I like isolation. Open headphones don't offer an advantage that is clearly better each time. There just are not enough higher end closed headphones for comparisons to be made. A lot of closed headphones have huge sound stages that are similar to open air headphones making it pretty much a pointless comparison (Denon D2000/5000/7000, SRH940, FA-002W, FA-003, DT770, T70, W1000/5000, etc). I wish Hifiman would make a closed planar magnetic like the HE-500. I wish Sennheiser would make something like the HD600 closed.

Closed headphones don't have less sound quality. So what are you even referring to here?

Very best,

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 9
hahah its a hard one..

either way i will regret :D 

but ill choose A! 

even thou i cant use my headphone anywhere and anytime , but every time i get a chance to put it on , it puts a large smile on my face. Cant find any closed headphones that put a large smile on my face. Best i tried was markl mod denons with wood cups. But those are not exactly closed either. They do leak quite a bit :D

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

I'd get the closed headphone, nearly every time. I prefer closed though. I like isolation. Open headphones don't offer an advantage that is clearly better each time. There just are not enough higher end closed headphones for comparisons to be made. A lot of closed headphones have huge sound stages that are similar to open air headphones making it pretty much a pointless comparison (Denon D2000/5000/7000, SRH940, FA-002W, FA-003, DT770, T70, W1000/5000, etc). I wish Hifiman would make a closed planar magnetic like the HE-500. I wish Sennheiser would make something like the HD600 closed.

Closed headphones don't have less sound quality. So what are you even referring to here?

Very best,

I'm down to either the Sen HD650 or Beyer T70p.  With the T70p, I would pair it with the Dacport with optional 1 ohm output.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Cant find any closed headphones that put a large smile on my face. Best i tried was markl mod denons with wood cups. But those are not exactly closed either. They do leak quite a bit :D

They don't leak enough to where you hear the environment clearly, like an open air, from the inside. They are closed.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back