Your input into AKG 712 (and new dac/amp) OR Stax SRS-3100 combo
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

keeno

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

First post, be gentle :) And thank you in advance to anyone who posts a response.

Background
  1. Had Q701 for many years, only when getting a cheap FX audio DAC/Amp did it get to be something I really came to love
  2. Kids broke them (accident)
  3. Got a pair of 4XX from Massdrop last year. Appreciate the thicker low end/punch, but it just doesn't give me the same enjoyment in the highs and soundstage (which I loved with the AKG's). Best I've been able to do is my own custom EQ in SoundID to get somewhere near what I like.

Where to?
So, it's coming up to birthday time and I'm thinking of either;
  1. Grabbing a Topping E30/L30 and a pair of AKG 712s (possibly sell the 4XX), OR
  2. A Stax SRS-3100 Combination (SR-L300 and SRM-252S) + set with a Topping D10

I'm looking for something that is at a minimum as good as the old Q701 but is better in both detail, soundstage & lower end - the latter not being something I'm desperate to do. I listen to a wide variation of music, from classical through hip-hop, and spend most of my day with the headphones on with either that playing, youtube or good ol' work video calls.

I'm aware the budget for #2 is going to be many hundreds more unless I get the STAX second-hand, which I'm open to, and that I'll likely do at least the bluetack mod. I'm also stuck where I can't try the Stax out anywhere in my city (Brisbane, Australia), so a little leap of faith will likely be required.

This is more about those who have been in a similar situation & what advice you can offer.

Thanks,
Paul

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 4
I can't quite give a direct answer to your questions since I haven't tried the AKG K712 or the STAX SRS-3100. But I have the Q701 and an older entry-level STAX system (SRS-2020). And from my experience, nothing in the mid-fi tier competes with the entry-level STAX in terms of detail retrieval and clean sound across the FR. It trades blows with stuff like the DT1990 and Hifiman Ananda. The treble in particular is crazy smooth on the STAX despite the detail. In comparison, the Q701's treble sounds sharper and harsher, like it has to try harder to get across a detailed sound.

But there are cons to the STAX system that the K712 probably won't have.

First, as you already mentioned, it's harder to source.

Second, the form factor is more uncomfortable, I can't imagine it getting much better even if you mod the pads because its shape is so boxy.

Third, I would consider my STAX system to be "bass-light". Though it's more or less on the level of the Q701 bass in terms of quantity, but with better texture and slam. I imagine the blu-tacked L300 would be the same, so maybe you won't mind that. But the K712 will probably still have more warmth and bass.

Fourth, I'm not sure if the STAX will have as wide a soundstage, though imaging should be decent.

Lastly, you might have to be a bit more careful with the STAX system. I think the newer STAX have had some improvements to the build, but the frame is still flimsy plastic and you could have issues with imbalances or being affected by dust/moisture.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Where to?
So, it's coming up to birthday time and I'm thinking of either;
  1. Grabbing a Topping E30/L30 and a pair of AKG 712s (possibly sell the 4XX), OR
  2. A Stax SRS-3100 Combination (SR-L300 and SRM-252S) + set with a Topping D10

I'm looking for something that is at a minimum as good as the old Q701 but is better in both detail, soundstage & lower end - the latter not being something I'm desperate to do. I
K712 debatable soundstage but generally agree it can be a tiny bit smaller to some peoples ears to the K/Q701. As for bass & lower end, detail e.t.c. it's there.
L300 is basically a HD800 without the treble peak & soundstage, But it has such good separation that it doesn't sound as closed in as it actually is. Yip need dust covers!, Also yip that plastic feel really does get you paranoid about it breaking, hence why i sold all mine. Worth a listen, maybe try stereonet if you can. Also worth the purchase if you don't have an amp, But in your case I think the K712 will fit you wants better.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your replies team. I think I'll probably test out the 1990 & 712 when the local stores reopen enough from our current COVID lockdown (sigh) and if one comes out sounding what I want, I'll go with it. Then if a reasonable second-hand STAX option comes up, I'll buy it too & sell the loser :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back