*Your* History of Sound (music)
Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 59

Quote:
I assume you're not judging a band based on youtube quality. 

Agalloch is deeply rooted in Black Metal, so if you want utmost recording principles, look elsewhere

Yeah, don't expect great sound quality from Agalloch. It's just not going to happen. There music is friggin' transcendent though. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #17 of 59
Well I'm nowhere near having finished my progression in musical tastes as I'm still considered a teenager. Nevertheless, I'll tell my bit.

I started out with rap.. just rap. Rick Ross, kanye west, lil wayne etc. etc.
System of a Down was also my favorite band off all time, and I still enjoy them to date. Along with SOAD, I was listening to Sum 41.

My rap tastes started progressing into heavier, grittier, more underground type stuff. My rock tastes as well were starting to move from rock/hard rock to metal.
It was at this point that I focused mainly on metal, and my tastes in that genre progressed fairly quickly until I found something I've stuck with. Melodic metal, viking metal, celtic folk metal and other sounds of that nature.
A friend also introduced me to The Mars Volta, and that sparked my interest in prog rock.

I started fluctuating between rap and prog rock. For a month I would listen to one, and for a month I would listen to the other.

I started getting more interested in the hip hop side of things as opposed to rap, and where I'm at with it right now is alternative hip hop, trip hop and things like that.
Post rock is my new love, I can't get enough of it. Instrumentals and such.
Also getting into alternative rock, though I wouldn't say it dominates my playlist.
Female vocals as well; of any type really.

My journey through music has mostly consisted of different people influencing me. I'm shown one band, and want to hear more like it and then in my search I'll stumble across something new.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #18 of 59
Being a 13 year old kid in Long Beach California in 1975 we would walk into record stores and see the posters of bands. We had no clue except for what was on the radio. Then there was the influence of my fiend’s older Brother. He had tons of records and he just moved back home. We heard Hot Rats by Zappa, Zappa Live At The Roxy, Canned Heat, Black Sabbath’s Paranoid. Basically the collection showed us everything that was cool. There was maybe 200 records, we had a set of mid 70s Koss Headphones, a super tuner and a really good Philips record player with a good cartridge. The whole thing was very magical. I guess this was the music that was everywhere but to us it was rare. Just the cover of some albums like Savoy Brown’s Inside Looking Out were hours of audiovisual, 70s style. Some Albums like Rocks by Aerosmith were played everyday.

The late 70s came and a change had taken over. You had Stained Class by Judas Priest, Hell Bent For Leather. The first early Kiss three albums. You had Strangers In The Night by UFO. The sound was getting more clear it seemed in the recordings. Looking back I don’t think the sound was any clearer but there was a new addition of effects. There was more detail in the high mids. Ted Nugent was great then. Led Zeppelin ruled, Rush ruled. It was a fantastic time for every king of hard rock. At parties they would go though complete runs of all of Ted Nugent’s albums. He had a couple early works but they would start with the self titled Ted Nugent, then Free For All, then Cat Scratch Fever, then Double Live Gonzo. No one complained as everyone was on the same page. We were a group. Some times these things were dangerous with fights and people getting killed trying to drive home. We really drank a lot and at different parties you could always just feel the vibe, the feel of the air changed and you knew when to leave right before things got ugly! There was very little enforcement of drunk driving. Police would break-up parties and that was just the reality of it all.

This to me was the time of arena rock. There was very little difference in music kids liked. If you went over to a friends house they most likely had many of the same records. Chicks would bring Kiss albums to school just to look at the covers all day long. They would have these giant 12 inch double live albums on their desk and look at them as they took notes in school. HA

I would call these the classic rock years and I still have a place in my hart for the music of my generation at this point. I was able to see Rush play 2112 and Hemispheres and Permanent Waves live. I had seen a lot of bands live before but there was just something about Rush live. The 2112 concert had a surprise effect of these huge spot lights where you thought the amps were. At one point they turned these lights on and the effect was blinding. None of us could believe how bright those lights were. I have never seen shows like that. It was that good. I play all of Rush’s albums now and never ever get sick of them like some other forms of music.

You know maybe this is the same for everyone. Every youth has the music of their generation. The music comes at an age when they are right to receive it to their hart. It means so much. Life can be super fun at that age. We forget all the stress and questions about the future and the heck we received from teachers and parents.

So the eighties came and then New Wave hit. For some strange reason the music has never aged as well as the hard rock wave that came before it. We did not even hear the term Heavy Metal until the movie came out. We always had read the comic book but there was no term for that style of music. Judas Priest was termed hard rock.

From those roots it really laid the basis for Heavy Metal which I have loved up until now. The last 15 years I have explored extreme metal. It seems that it is an acquired taste maybe like opera where you slowly adjust to these screaming vocals. I will play that along with Pink Floyd and it is a nice balance.
Everyone I think needs some contrast in what they listen to.  I have many other forms of music that I enjoy but I would say I really don’t love any other music but Hard Rock and Metal. There is a linage to this music which is very easy to see. I can play Invasion Of Your Privacy by Ratt and it sounds just as great as it sounded in 86. So for me to find a form of music that always works for me and never gets boring, well that makes it worth playing over and over.   

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 59
I'll play!

Years 00-10:
Didn't really have much of a penchant for music. Seriously, I had no cassettes/CDs/records of my own, and I hated the constant Hindi music that was always playing when my parents had control of the stereo. I couldn't keep track of what channel was what on the radio and the Walkman that my cousins gave me for my 6th birthday was still packed because my parents didn't trust me to be careful with it. Yep...

Years 10-14:
Alright, we've moved to India and unknown to my parents, I have opened the walkman! I now begin to peruse my sister's collection of Disney soundtracks as well as the single cassette I have to my name - some collaboration that some groups did with Pizza Hut under the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles moniker. By the time I am 14, my parents have bought my sister a CD player and upgraded all of her cassettes to CDs. She got into my parents Hindi music collection (also upgraded to CDs). I, on the other hand had no CD player because my parents said I had no CDs (I also had no allowance, you can't get a job as a minor in India, and they wouldn't buy me CDs for the bands I wanted to try because they didn't trust what they hadn't heard).

Year 15:
A like-minded friend (didn't care for Hindi music, and had parents who didn't trust music they hadn't heard), introduced my to Yanni. I managed to convince my parents to buy a couple of Yanni cassettes (still no CD player remember?), and thus began my actual progression in music: Disney soundtracks and Yanni.

Year 16-17:
Back in the US, started High School as a junior, and had nothing better to do after school so I joined Academic Decathlon. There, I met a whole bunch of people who were heavily into Anime including a Chinese girl who had just moved to the US that year as well. She loaned me a whole bunch of her mixed CDs and from that point I started consuming as much Anime, J-Pop, K-Pop and C-Pop as I could. I also finally managed to convince my parents to let me upgrade from my Walkman. I acquired a freebie CD Player from work, but for my birthday, my parents bought me a MiniDisc Player, and I chocked my discs full of J-Pop and Yanni. Of course, High School is not without its influences - I also picked up a couple of pop songs from Western pop, here and there, but not enough to really make an impact. As a result of Yann, I also started getting into New Age music pretty heavily (Enya, Era, etc)

Year 18:
This is where my music progression blew up. In the first half of my first year of college, I loved having access to university high speed internet and literally downloaded everything I could. I had to try it all. My music collection went from a paltry 1 GB ripped music to nearly 35 GB all ripped/downloaded. This is where I started trying everything from every genre I could and found most of the music I listen to today. I seriously took the progression most of my friends had from 9-18 and crammed it all into about 6 months. Mostly all the music was still foreign pop and lots or Rock, Metal, Thrash, etc. The second half of the year, my rock explosion slowed down substantially and a few of the older students started recommending Jazz and my progression to Jazz began.

Year 19:
I now had Rock and Metal under my belt, as well as Jazz and a whole myriad of Pop and Foreign music.To this I started adding Classical/Baroque/Neo-classical music. The university library was updating its collection and getting rid of some older pieces so I was able to buy and borrow a lot of music in these genres during that year and the following years as well.

Year 20:
I think it must have been starting with Yanni and moving into J-Pop and then ending up at Classical, but not being able to understand the language of any singing taking place never bothered me - I was able to pretty much accept the voice and singing as just another instrument in the music. I guess this is what allowed me to progress during this year to Instrumentals and Virtuoso pieces and performers.

Year 21:
You know it had to all come around some time or another - bit by bit, along my progression, I picked up subtle hints in musical pieces. 'Hey that sounds a lot like a Sitar!', 'Ravi Shankar is pretty good!', 'The way that guy plays the conga drum sounds a lot like Ustad Zakir Hussein on the tablas!' Yep, you guessed it - born and raised in a traditional Indian family, having initially spurned it, 21 years after coming into the world, I finally embraced Hindi music!

Year 22-24:
One will note that visibly absent in my progression are two major genres of music Rap/Hip-Hop and Country. Cliche, no? Well what do you think happens when you end up working as a field engineer in an Oilfield? That's right - you meet all the guys who have transferred up from the Gulf region and have a penchant for old country music. This is where I really started listening to Country music, Folk music, Bluegrass and Canadian variants of the same.

Year 25+:
That's where I am now - I'll give a shot to anything and everything that comes my way and I have stuff from every major genre I can think of save 2: Rap and Hip-Hop. I have yet to really find anything in these genres that really speak to me.

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 59
One observation I've made about people in their 20s is that they will say that they like all kinds of music, but when you ask them what their favorite opera is or what kind of country music they enjoy, you find out that "all kinds of music" means all kinds of rock music.

It's interesting to see folks in this thread who still seem to be listening to the same basic kind of music they started with, and to read detailed accounts of a steady progression from point A to point A again to point A the third time. Not that it's a bad thing to listen to the same kind of music all the time, it's just interesting to see that the minor differences between related genres seem like huge differences from their close up perspective.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 59

Quote:
One observation I've made about people in their 20s is that they will say that they like all kinds of music, but when you ask them what their favorite opera is or what kind of country music they enjoy, you find out that "all kinds of music" means all kinds of rock music.

Favorite opera (and I'll be honest, I haven't listened to a great deal of opera) --> Pirates of Penzance
Country Music: I like Johnny Cash and Clint Black, but I've been rolling more towards folk and bluegrass right now, and my favorite band right now in that genre group has to be The Wailin' Jennys.

:wink: I know what you mean though!

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 59

Quote:

It's interesting to see folks in this thread who still seem to be listening to the same basic kind of music they started with, and to read detailed accounts of a steady progression from point A to point A again to point A the third time. Not that it's a bad thing to listen to the same kind of music all the time, it's just interesting to see that the minor differences between related genres seem like huge differences from their close up perspective.

lol

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 59
Opera is generally more time consuming, one of the 'genres' I still have to catch up with. Country and Blues, the same there. Rock and Jazz personally are lighter to digest although the Willem Breuker Kollektief requires getting used to.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 59
My earliest memories of music are this rock tape my dad used to have. It was simply known as the 'rock tape' and had a load songs that I barely remember but am fairly sure are mostly classics like Smoke on the Water and the like. In later years I came to cringe a little when this tape was played, especially around others - I still liked it but it wasn't really 'cool' any more. What was cool was what I tended to listen to; my brother had an exciting new ghetto blaster thingy that would play CDs, previously only possible on my mother's hifi stack through speakers in the living room.
What transpired were a lot of usual suspects at the time - Papa Roach (though I never really liked them as much as other people seemed to), Gorillaz, Linkin Park, Green Day, Sum41, etc. It was all good and fun, but almost all of the music was chosen by my brother since it was his player. All that mattered was that the music had to be 'loud'. Loud was cool. The first album I ever remember getting for myself was Good Charlotte's Young and the Hopeless. I heard them from watching music channels on TV - I can't imagine myself doing that these days.

Somewhere in all that a magical album called 1 came out, encompassing most of The Beatles' big hits. Suddenly my parent's music was cool again, and this time it wasn't just as good as the current stuff I'd been listening to, it was largely better. For a while after that my music collection largely stagnated, piqued a little by the glam rock of local band The Darkness but mostly immobile apart from the occasional Limewire download. As time went on I played a lot of videogames and began to find myself liking tunes in them. So I began to search the internet for game OSTs and tracks, and also kept an ear out when playing games. I was taunted for it by my brother, but after hearing the likes of Yasunori Mitsuda's work on Chrono Trigger I was beyond caring about 'cool' any more.

Or was I? As the years went on I found myself interested in the 'emo' music scene (I blame women, or at the least, one specific girl). Suddenly Panic[!] at the Disco, Fall Out Boy and Madina Lake ruled my ears and my new shiny iPod. I was never too into the whole scene - I never changed the way I dressed, for instance and I was never quite convinced that My Chemical Romance was even music - but in an entirely clichéd manner the music spoke to me in the dark years of my life. I also took this opportunity of having a music player and experience in scouring the internet to broaden my tastes in other directions - to this day I love the Dire Straits, The Police and Paul Simon that I borrowed from my parents, and I enjoyed Coldplay, Buckethead and Bon Jovi.
At some point a friend introduced me to anime and I kind of got into the Japanophile thing in a big way - and that meant J-Pop. And what do you know, that very specific girl liked J-Pop too.
wink.gif
To this day a very good percentage of my musical intake comes from Japanese music, not because it's really any better than Western popular music [my heart says it is] but more for the hipsterish feeling that I'm listening to a huge variety of music and genres that very few people I know in person are also experiencing. Up to this point most of my music had been masculine-focused, but I soon got into female vocalists in a big way, including Rie fu, YUI and Lia.

These days I try to be open to all genres of music, even though I mostly listen to classic rock (Dire Straits, Eric Johnson), J-Pop/Rock (too many kinds to give examples) and soundtracks (games, movies, anime, it's all good stuff). The latter two span choral, orchestral, pop, hip-hop, rap, synth, dance, rock, techo et al. I'm aware that I still don't really mesh with some genres; I like some classical pieces like Beethoven's sixth and Vivaldi's Four Seasons but find the rest to be pretty impermeable for a newcomer, I find death metal to be jarring and unpleasant to listen to, I'm slowly getting a feel for jazz but find Blues incredibly depressing and boring and I simply don't 'get' opera. But I'd like to change that, and working through some of the parents' vinyl collection has certainly helped.

...sorry about that. Good thread, OP.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 59
Started to listen to what classifies as "oldies" (about 50s, and 60s music) as a teen on local radio. I would record them off the radio and put songs on recordable cassettes. I would also record some soft rock and country in the same manner. I moved to soundtrack music with my purchase of Jurassic Park and the Land Before Time albums and films in the late 1990s, and that's been my passion and love ever since.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 59
As a kid i listened to mainstream pop music, then as it progressed and got much worse i started exploring other genres, Now i like rock/pop music from the 60s, 70s, 80s... also dance music, house, hardstyle, dubstep, etc, etc....

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 59
early years 70's early 80's.... before high school listened to KISS brother was a big fan, sister listened to the Bee Gees/ABBA so i went the route of my brother.6th grade liked RAP in its early stages (RUN DMC) watched alot of Saturday Night Live and other music shows that came on the weekends back then. MTV came around (back when it had music videos) started hearing alot more stuff. 1984 (7th grade) started listening to Motley Crue, W.A.S.P., alot of Led Zeppelin. by 9th grade and later high school major influences Metallica, Soundgarden got into Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd....... many many rock and metal groups around that time. just LOVED music, would sit in my room at hours on end flipping tapes over and over. still love my metal but also listen to easy going stuff now. NO rap and not much new stuff pretty much sucks to me after the mid 90's cant find alot that gets my fire going. enough good stuff from the 60s/70s/80s to keep me going.

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 59
Year 12-15: Really, seriously, ostensibly horrible "Nu"-metal, rap-metal schlock (Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Coal Chamber, Korn, Slipknot, Orgy, Etc.)
Year 15-19: Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, KMFDM, and a whole bunch of other EDM and Indust. Rock groups, IDM (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre)
Year 19-22: Indie/Folk rock (classic and new) CSNY/Fleet Foxes, Doom Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal (Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room), IDM (Gridlock, Nebulo, Dryft, Clark), Industrial music (SPK, Foetus, Coil), 70's Prog Rock ( Yes, King Crimson, Can, Magma
Year 22-24: (Current) Industrial Music (Foetus, Dalek, SPK, Test. Dept.), New Wave, Black Metal, Avant-garde Black Metal ( Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Ved Buens Ende), Old School Death Metal, New Old School Death Metal, Tech Death Metal, Death/Doom Metal, Funk Metal, Funk Rock, Folk rock,  Neofolk (Lots of Neofolk, mein Gott), Romantic Classical ( most composers)

And so I continue in search of a broader range of tastes.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 59
With all that metal you should build a foundry.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 59
I grew up with Techno music in the mid 90's as my big bro also happened to like it and was only a small kid back then, being an european after all (techno didn't quite exist in US, not in the same manner as it did in europe in the 90's anyway). Here's a good example what real techno is and not the trance genre many refers to today with techno. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el1lPFxKPIg Here's another popular one back at that time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ocLN4Dc3I another example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOQ6wvO9Qg

I was a big fan at the end of the techno/eurodance era especially of Sash, I used to love songs like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zMlaMIdUdQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsMR7HvuZM as well as the scandinavian artist Aqua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG0AvwM_QAI

Then I've always been a fan of the similar genres, dance, techno maybe some pop that are close enough etc. When techno started dying out around 99' or so the trance genre came alive. I remember Alice Deejay was one of the pioneers back then around which would inspire many future femlate trance vocalists, dropped the rapping part and introduced more computer genrated trance tunes and every song became a success after another. It's still has a very dance/eurodance but it was a start. The first single I remember clearly still, not my fav but it became very popular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjNmyzrVvM 2nd hit didn't rank quite as high but I liked the trance tunes in it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgwAAwj9zs and then the 3rd one was a lot better IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_XY_yCsM0

Then came the era of the great female vocal trance artists especially around Belgium. Dee Dee, 4 Strings, Lasgo, ATB, Milk Inc to mention a few. Classical tracks that can be mentioned are for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJtIHuqtbs , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0M703prHw4

It was also around this time I really started liking artists such as Groove Coverage and Cascada, some examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbE39U6IYxI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Z3CLj1u70

Then around 2009 - 2010 I got into a small subgenre called breakbeat where the most notable artist would be DJ Babyboi, DJ Toy and DJ Loopy, some examples of theirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZ_Zt-jqXE , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBpfy5E32o and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHPMZ0ZtYQ

In 2010 I really started to get into hardstyle as well and the genre that is still today the one I most often look out for new recordings as they keep dropping in daily. I'm more into the newer kind of hardstyle with more melodies and less club-like repetitive bass rythms. The best examples of this would be for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G615CdieCL0 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACpPN9-G1w and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0z0Verk3c etc.

So that's a glimpse of the road I've walked. Ofc I listen to other genres as well but electronica has always had the biggest place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back