Your goal: Do you have one, and have you reached it?
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
The good thing about the headphone hobby is that technology doesn't quite render past headphones obsolete, the Grado being a good example. Perhaps 10 or 20 years into the future our headphones will still perform as well as they do now, given proper care, and we may still be satisfied with the sound they can output in comparison to the new higher-technology offerings. So technically that would make it possible to have an end to the upgradiditis, if we reach a point where we are satisfied with what we have?

Anyway the question would be, how many here have hit a point where you can sit back and think, "I don't think upgradiditis is going to hit me anytime soon (or at all, but never is a long while), I've got what I want as it is."? My earphone/headphone journey has been pretty long, but with my current gear (iPod > Arrow3G > 1964T/Fiio E10 > Woodied Magnum, with an M3 in the works) it seems to have (for the moment, and perhaps for a long while to come) come to an end.

Slightly self-delusional, perhaps?

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 7
My Head-Fi goal is two-fold:

1. to find something that sounds like the ESS AMT-1 Heils, particularly the time I took the tweeters off and placed them on the floor on either side of my head and bypassed their crossover

2. to find something that makes music sound and look like it did when I was under the influence of cannabinoids, particularly in the instrument separation and black background

Oh, I also just want something that sounds a lot like my Infinity Kappa speakers and can be worn daily at work and that isolates, and for right now I'm there with the M50 Coax Mod 1.

I'm itching for the HE-500, but my fondest wish is that Fang would enter the world of high-end isolating closed cans...

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 7
I love variety so my goal is to have an open and a closed set, dynamic and an ortho, tube amp and SS. HD800/WA2 takes care of half the setup and I have an 02 and Thunderpants ordered which should complete the other half. When the WooAudio DAC is released I'll be finished with my setup.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I feel like it's in sight.  My current intention is to have 4 cans that are each excellent for a specific purpose (currently that's the Pro 900 and HD-600 which I already have, and the SR-325i and SRH-940 which I'll probably purchase soon), and then one more which would work for everything when I didn't feel like playing musical chairs with my cans (leaning towards the D5000).  Maybe I'll change my mind later, but I'm not feeling compelled to break the $500 barrier anytime soon.  I don't have any strong desires to upgrade the two pieces of the puzzle I already have, other than maybe a good amp a little down the line.  I'm more interested in a variety for different applications and genres.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
My goal? To have a flawless Stax Lambda with no weird driver issues and a direct-drive amp.

Am I there yet? Not quite (Lambda with rebuilt drivers has a few oddities revealed via tone generator, and it's fed by a big receiver and a transformer box), but I'm getting close. It'll probably have to be the SR-202 and SRM-212 to begin with, and the SR-202 will likely need some additional repair work, but for the cost, I can't complain too much, especially since this is Stax (read: expensive) we are talking about.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Maybe I am just being a fanboy, but I believe that with my Benchmark DAC1 I am at the end of the line as far as DAC'ing and amping goes. I suppose there is a small chance to grab a tube amplifier one day just to see what it is like, but the current dac/amp I have provides unbeatable clarity, detail, presentation. I get strong bass and blinding treble. What more do I want?  

As far as headphones go, I definitely need more. I currently have a Denon AH-D5000. I want a Sony MDR-SA5000 and an ATH-W5000 and every other headphone that says "5000." It sounds silly but I figure why the hell not, right? It could be fun. Good start to a collection. It will be a long time before I am "done" with getting transducers. Amplifiers and DACs, though -- I sincerely do not believe it gets much better than what I already have. I've already got power, clarity and transparency. Anything else I need I can simply EQ, end of story.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 7
i have achieved what i wanted and very happy right now. i will probably continue doing DIY projects though out of curiosity but so far my headphone set-up feels very complete. i don't really care what else is out there really but won't stop me from trying it when i get a chance to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back