Your gear acquisition philosophy?
Jan 22, 2004 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dimitri

100+ Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to hi-fi and am happy with my current headphone rig (chosen carefully with information gathered here).
biggrin.gif
I was planning on picking up a new source sometime this year, but then thought why not get a couple speakers (don't own any) and a power amp instead? I already have a source, after all.

My question to you wise people is: Would you try to reach audio nirvana in your only rig before putting money towards another (portable/home)? What are your "buying strategies/philosophies" when it comes to expensive habits like hi-fi?

The fact that I've never spent time with a top-notch speaker system or a high-end source makes it difficult for me to plan upgrade/purchasing paths. Even after getting a taste of the high-end, I still enjoy my cheesy pc speakers and imagine that an entry-level hi-fi rig would be vastly more enjoyable. Then again, I've had a great time upgrading my headphone rig so far! What a bind!

Thanks,

Dimitri
600smile.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 22
Dimitri,

You should try going around to some of your local Hi-Fi dealerships, typically the decent ones will give you a taste of their best gear to give you a reference point. Not all systems will be to your taste though, I've heard systems costing over $100,000 that I wouldn't allow into my home while others costing $5000 I could easily live with.

Try to get a feel for what qualities in sound reproduction matter most to you and sample not only the ultra high end but the more conservatively priced gear as well.

As far as my buying philosophy goes I assume I'm a bit odd. Even though the majority of my listening is done at work most of my money goes into my home system. The reasoning for this is my home system is where I really sit back and "listen" while work tends to be more background. I've found phones that work well for me at work, forgiving enough to be used with my computer but detailed enough and musical enough to allow me to have an enjoyable experience. I'll probably eventually spend more on my work system when I get my home system to a point where I'm happy with it.

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 22
I don't really have a buying philosophy. I tend to lean more towards compulsive obsessive. I get an idea in my head and run with it.
I did work on my portable system the most last year. Because I use it the most. I upgraded the headphones and then the amp, and then the amp again.

Where you are right there near the top with your phones, and you are considering a new source, I would suggest the source upgrade. Then you can read reviews and or listen to other pre amps and amps and speakers knowing how your source sounds. Is it dark or bright, is it smooth etc etc. You will have a better idea which way your other equipment should lean if you already have your source pinned down. That is the way I'm working on it. I am waiting for my new source to arrive right now. Then when I have more funds available, I will look into a better speaker set up to go with that source. Right after I get a new headphone amp.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 22
what i did and i'm not saying this is right for anyone else was, at the time my priorities was movie watching. so i put together a complete and solid ht rig. only after that did i really get into headphones and now i concentrate on that mainly (sans pioneer dolby headphone setup) but i suppose at some point mt priorities will switch again and then i'll focus 100% on whatever that phase is, however this headphone thing is the most addictive thing outside of sex that's out there, at least from my experience. took me ten minutes of right hand onlt typing to get this one in and look mom no errors!

edit two errors! ****!

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 22
Dimitri-
I'd go with the speaker-based rig if you have no constraints that dictate you listen to headphones most/all of the time (money, thin wall between you and neighbors, other household members not sharing your passion). Whether you find that a relatively inexpensive speaker rig is far less satisfying than the pure tones coming from your headphones is, well, for you to find out...

Jan 22, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 22
My buying philosophy is always to research a lot and know about the products am looking for, the current state of the market in that area. I try to get to know how the competition is going, which are the major contenders, what products are in similar price range, what people think about them, what are they pros and cons, what praises vs. known complains/issues might exists. Also I try products by myself and compare my personal impressions, and put that in perspective with respect to what I had read or learned about them. This philosophy I've applied to audio, as well as digital cameras, tires, light fixtures, and basically it has become a habit. Now whenever I need to buy anything, I can't put my money down unless I feel I know enough about the products and that market. Otherwise I feel I can be too easily ripped off and regret my purchase.

Jan 22, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 22
My philosophy is if you want to save money, don't visit this forum, and above all, whatever you do, don't ever ever go to a Head-fi meet. Money will spontaneously fly out of your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Well, if you are as weak as I am.

-Ed

Jan 22, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 22
It comes down to function, lifestyle, and feasibility. If you're neighbors or roommates can't deal with speakers, it makes no sense having them. If you are outside more often than inside, a portable system may be nice to have. If you don't have proper placement for speakers, their sound will be compromised.

For speakers, you will have to answer do you want stereo and theater purposes. What volume you play on listening at. etc.

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks for the advice.
biggrin.gif
I'm leaning towards the source upgrade. It just seems logical to lock down (at least for a while) the cornerstone of my rig, be it speaker or headphone, before matching components for system synergy. But who knows, I might be totally bent on buying a speaker system after a lengthy in-store audition!

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I don't really have a buying philosophy. I tend to lean more towards compulsive obsessive. I get an idea in my head and run with it.

I'm with Mr. PD on this one.

Jan 24, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 22
Dimitri,

I've found it best to pick a component I really love, then build around it. Your current leanings make sense to me too, and thats as good a place to start as any.

When you go to audition, take who's selling it to you into account. Dealers like repeat customers, and if you find a brick and mortar worthy of your buisness, you'll have one of the best things you can have in this hobby.

Jan 24, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 22
Dimitri wrote: Quote:

What are your "buying strategies/philosophies" when it comes to expensive habits like hi-fi?

Hi-fi ain't an expensive habit for me and it's not going to become one so I can't really comment on it. My one expensive hobby is bicycles, my philosophy there is "buy (the best) quality and only cry once". Cheaping out costs money in the long run and results in mechanical failures and frustration. I buy the most durable, reliable, high performance parts available so I have complete peace of mind and never have to worry about upgrading, obsolescence, or failures. I hate crap that breaks, I hate doing excessive maintenance, thus my bike philosophy.

As for hi-fi, I'm still working on it. Right now it's kinda like do lots of research and listening to find something I like, then build a system around it.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 22
My philosphy would be to get the second system up and running, then slowly spend every cent I could afford upgrading it little by little. It's better to have a HT and headphone system than one really good one.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 22
I need to jump back in here with a little something I just learned.

Source upgrade.
Every body here suggested I upgrade my source before I do a new headphone amp.
I was reluctant. But, I found my dream source for sale over at Audiogon, and jumped on it.

Good advise from the folks here. With a better CDP in my system, it seems that I have upgraded my speakers, receiver and headphone amp all at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back